The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any registry options other than AWS for a TB mare without papers?

I have a super fancy TB mare who I adore. She's so big boned that she looks like a warmblood and she has the best ammy-friendly temperament. She's coming along well under saddle and I'm thinking about breeding her within the next few years to get a foal to keep for myself.

She is unraced (no tattoo) and we do not have her papers, let alone know if she is even registered (no idea what her original name was). I'm thinking if I want a registered foal, I need to go through AWS?

Will Oldenburg NA accept TB mares without a known pedigree?

You can do an Irish Draught or Irish Draught Sport Horse stallion to produce a registered Irish Draught Sport Horse foal.
    www.irishdraught.com

Quote Originally Posted by Merle View Post
    I have a super fancy TB mare who I adore. She's so big boned that she looks like a warmblood and she has the best ammy-friendly temperament. She's coming along well under saddle and I'm thinking about breeding her within the next few years to get a foal to keep for myself.

She is unraced (no tattoo) and we do not have her papers, let alone know if she is even registered (no idea what her original name was). I'm thinking if I want a registered foal, I need to go through AWS?

Will Oldenburg NA accept TB mares without a known pedigree?
    You are lucky since OldenburgNA has the pre mare book for horses without papers. She would be eligible for the premare book and her foals would be branded ISR, or not branded if you prefered.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

She could go in either Pre-Book I or II for RPSI depending on how she scored at her inspection. Foals would receive a half-brand (just the bridge, not the crown) and a Certificate of Pedigree.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

I think you might also be able to go GOV...Premare book II. One of my mares was unregistered but approved GOV when I bought her. She's a WB (I've since registered her with the ATA) but I would think no papers are no papers.

If you breed her to an approved Swedish warmblood stallion, the foal will get Swedish papers, just in a lower book. To know for sure, just check with the U.S. office, http://www.swanaoffice.org

Quite a few of my clients over the years have had really nice mares without papers. The neat thing with Swana is that they can be registered and inspected. Also--inspection of the mare and foal, although highly recommended, is not required (unless you have a stallion prospect from a mare that also qualifies--then the dam must be inspected--for all stallion prospects).

The high-scoring foal for the Olympia,Wa. SWB Inspection this year was from just the situation you are describing. A truly lovely warmblood mare who's papers were lost--her Amorex colt Elias (Amorex/ Enchanted) with 48 points, Class I. Elias is owned by Anita Maguire and Angela Wilson. Elias scored a nine for type. Really a spectacular colt--I day-dreamed about buying him!

Hope this helps,

Mary
    Mary

Mary Baechler
    http://amorexswb.com/