The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default KWPN Gelding by Ferro...anyone know

anything about the rest of my daughter's horses pedigree? He is a 1997 KWPN Gelding that we purchased last December for my daughter to do the hunters with. His previous history from what we were told was Dressage and not much else. He had sat pretty much idle for the last 4 years. He was bred to be a carriage horse by Barb Chapman in Michigan. His sire is Ferro and his dam is Westar. He is a dark bay about 16.3h. He is turning into a nice hunter for my daughter, but can be a bit pissy at times, however, very very intelligent and learns quickly. He can be extremely heavy on forehand and liked to drag her around. We just put 60 days training on him with a hunter trainer and this seemed to help a whole lot. He absolutely loves to jump and can jump the moon. The video we bought him from he was free jumping 4' with ease. Just really tremendous athlete and acts like a youngster. We are dealing with some maintenance issues on his hocks and stifles, but other than that, he is a great horse and we hope to do great things with him in the future. My daughter is 13 soon to be 14 and she and he are beginning to work as a team. This is our first KWPN registered horse and I know absolutely nothing of his heritage. I know his sire is quite famous and that is about it. Thanks in advance for any input.

My Ferro is extremely intelligent. He also has a fantastic work ethic. Treat the Ferros fairly and you will have the horse of a lifetime.

I am finding that very true. My daughter's trainer keeps saying she cannot get over how intelligent he is. He has such kind eyes and he is the first to greet me with a whinny in the morning. He always is talking to me and is very protective of the other horses in the herd. He is also a great teacher to my young 2 y/o warmblood gelding...he's very patient with him, but also lets him know when he needs to straighten up. We are so blessed to have found him and feel so fortunate to own him and have him be part of our family.