The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Drags, chain harrows, smoothing attachments

For the past 5 years, my neighbor has been letting me use his old chain harrow to drag my fields and ring. It is old, beat up, and needs regular repairs. And, he called me to say he needs it back for an equipment auction. I offered to buy it, and I think he is tired of fixing it for me because he kinda discouraged that.

So, I'm looking into new ones. But, money does matter, I do NOT have an unlimited budget.

I also use it to drag my fields. I think I'd like one that has a frame so I can back it into corners...or heck, just back it to park more easily. But I've never seen one on a frame, and so I have questions.

Wingfields seems to have several choices, and the owner is super enthusiastic about his harrows.

http://www.wingfields.com/chainharrow.htm

I found this site as well.
    http://www.abiattachments.com/produc...arrow/3pt.html

There is a video in that link above, and see that the harrow attaches to the frame with chains. I guess that might be enough flex to absorb the bouncing.

I know some people think that a chain harrow is no good for a ring, but it has been working for 5 years. One on a frame would make corner maintenance easier.

I need 9'+ wide, due to the width of my tractor, so that bumps my costs up. Although, watching the video, I realize that it being on a frame takes away the issue of the arc of the drag not covering the tire tracks, but I'll need to measure to be sure.

Any feedback on the above, or other suggestions appreciated. I use the drag all the time, so I've got to get one in the next week or so.

Bumping for the Monday crowd.

Default Southern States

May be able to help you......They ordered one for me and delivered to the farm......it is very heavy and I think it is 6X8
    Berkley

We got a 4x6 chain harrow at Tractor Supply pretty cheaply (around $400?). It doesn't have a frame though. I wouldn't want one bigger because it would be too hard for me to handle on my own. We use it all the time to drag the ring and fields -- though I put the tines up rather than down to be more gentle.

Your right -- I can't get into the ring corners with it. So I just use Round Up and a rake there...
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Country MFG has some options around the $400 mark. Not sure how it would work on fields but for ease of use and better at getting into corners we use the Dragster from the Roto-Harrow company. It is a solid triangular frame and you can either use it tines up or down and would be really hard to break!

How often do you use your drags?

Sadly, nothing 9'-10' wide is going to be around $400.

Do you think you need something that wide so you will hide your tire tracks when you drag your ring? Or is there another reason?

As a woman, a 6' drag is all I can handle. Drags get leaves and (here) pine straw stuck in them all the time and it needs to be pulled out. You need to be able to access all parts of the drag to clean it out.

A 6' wide drag puts the center at 3' away, so it is easy to clean. It is also as big a drag as I can pull or move so I can easily hook it up. I can't even imagine trying to move it around without turning it into a pretzel.

We have a frame on our drag; it was made by a local welder guy. I would guess that is the cheapest way you could get one.
    If it weren't for horses, a man would be the best thing in the world.

I wouldn't think the frame is worth the money. I'll agree with the above I don't see why you need a 9' wide. If you are worried about tractor marks then just overlap your drag pattern.

I have two drags around this farm somewhere. They been in place so long I think they are covered over with dirt.

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered a new design, on a frame, 9'6" wide.

As for why I want 9-10' wide? Time. I drag the ring a couple of times a week, I drag the fields fairly often, will do it more with a better harrow that I don't need to flip. In fact, the harrow is the most used farm-implement I own (after the zero turn mower) and if my ring were wider to allow for wider turns, I'd probably be looking at even WIDER ones...no wait, my gates are mostly 12'. I remember being at a party with a guy who had a lot of acreage to mow (using a 24' batwing mower), and another man said "too much grass", and the first man said "there is no such thing as too much grass, you just need bigger equipment".

I want the frame because after 5 years of not being able to back up with the harrow, both corners and putting it away, I am ready to be able to move the thing.

I want weight because if it is too light it just bounces around on top, not doing much good.

The one I am buying is close to 500#, so there will be no moving it by me unless it is on the tractor.