The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Default local circuit...double points, what are your thoughts??

Just got notice a couple of weeks ago that one of our local circuits is offering double points for a show. Many folks had made other plans for that weekend, as this circuit offers 2 shows this month. For instance, I took a judging job months ago...now my clients want to change plans because this show is now double points.
    I think the late notice is a little fishy....but will send my kids with another trainer, so they have just as much chance as the next guy at the "double points"

What do you guys think??
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

You mean fishy as in:

"mroades can't come this weekend. Now's the time to double points!"? Or just inconvenient?

I ask only because some local LNTs organized a nice series of horse shows. Two or three years in, others LNTs in this *very small pond* had some legitimate complaints about favoritism in terms of things like dates, divisions, stabling rules.

Take the high road. Send your clients with another trainer you like and hope they kick a$$.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Nope, circuit is big enough, I know there is no favoritism, but more like fishy as in "we have had a lot of light shows this year, they will ALL have to come if we offer double points"

We used to do it on my local circuit too, but it was always the last show of the year and it was published at the beginning of the year. I certainly have no problem sending my kids, but many other folks have complained to me that they had already planned to do a differnt show in october, and now feel forced to change their plans or lose out.

Personally, I would do away with year-end points altogether...
    carolprudm

Last minute notification is frustrating. We have a similiar situation, not for the organization, but for the barn. We have several clients/ horses in top three for theire respective division and 1/2 barn & trainer have been invited to a wedding same weekend. We discussed it seeing where we end up having done what we did, and being proud of our success. I don't like double point shows anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    I think the late notice is a little fishy....but will send my kids with another trainer, so they have just as much chance as the next guy at the "double points"

What do you guys think??
    I might use a slightly differen word, i.e. "frustrating" rather than "fishy". That said, I do agree with you that I would be slightly peeved or annoyed. It's one thing when these things are announced months out, but only a few weeks doesn't give people much time to change plans.

In this economy I'm not surprised that someone would pull such a stunt to try to make money. I also think it is unfair to other show organizers who might have people pulled out of their show at the last minute. But what can you do? Not much other than send your students with another trainer like you were saying.

That place will eventually slit its own throat if they keep doing that sort of thing. The bad Karma eventually comes back to them. Just kick-@$$ like someone else said and deal with it that way for now

I do a local circuit with my daughter and I think that's kind of unfair...if it was just announced, and you didn't plan to go, well now you have pressure to go if you're in the running for points. My daughter is currently first in one little show series with one more show left and only one person can catch her at this point. We aren't going to the last show. I'd be pretty annoyed if now they double the points and several people have the opportunity to pass her in the standings just from one show. I do believe they can have a year end championship show (like the VHSA Associate Championships) where they double the points, but it should be announced at the beginning of the year so that people can plan on attending if the points matter.

I agree, it smacks of, we want everyone to come to our show so we're doubling points for this show.

Well, if it's just a circuit struggling to make up for lost revenue, and you like how the circuit is run then paint a neutral picture for your clients and send them. They need to know how much time, effort and money go into that so that they have somewhere to show. If they want to support the circuit, they might need to be a little inconvenienced and go.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Can you define "last minute?"

We had to cancel our first show of the year due to rain. When we rescheduled (which we did a couple months in advance), we made the make-up show double points. Part of the reason was because we had to schedule it for late August, which is a pretty dead time of year for our area, and we wanted to provide incentive for people to come. The show series, after all, is a business venture, and it needs to at least cover its expenses (which it doesn't always do).

It can be frustrating to put on shows that get random light attendance, so year-end awards are one way of building in an incentive to attend more than just a couple shows in the series.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Mayatay02 pretty much stated how I feel.
    Y'all ain't right!

I think its a pretty bad last ditch effort to try and encourage more entries but that kind of thing can backfire on an organization because you have some folks who might have supported the show series by going to nearly every single show only to lose out because of conflicts at the last show... That kind of thing can often end up alienating just as many, if not more, people then it encourages more entries...

Love this circuit, and love the people that run it. I just have not heard anyone that loves this idea. I was wanting to get some outside perspective so I can "paint a neutral picture".

Thanks to all who replied!
    carolprudm

I'd be pretty annoyed if my horse was sitting in first with points we earned the hard way and then somebody squeaked ahead of us at a suddenly-double-points show.

If the double-points was on the calendar before the series began, no problem.

But once people have planned out which shows they are going to attend and which they are going to skip, don't be messing with the points.

A local unrated circuit used to offer double points if there were over 100 horses at that show. You could kind of get a good idea which shows were going to attract the 100+ horses, but of course it was never known if it was a double point show until Sunday when the last possible horse was entered (unless you hit the 100 horse mark sooner).

My feelings....torn I guess. Obviously if it was a show I was attending regardless it was great. But if a show we "thought" would be single points ended up turning into double points--we either hustled last minute to go show or missed out which could be frustrating depending how the points played out.

OP---Why was this show changed from single to double points? How much notice was given to all the association members of the change? I am on a show board now (local unrated) & most changes require a minimum of 30 days notice to all the members.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"