The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HorseGuard Fencing

We are considering putting up Horseguard Fencing on our breeding farm. We already have wood perimeter fencing and would like to use HorseGuard as cross fencing between mares and fillies. Any opinions, recommendations?

6 years here, absolutely love it. Wind, snow, ice, the occasional bounce off it, it all works out in the end. Maintenance is minimal and cheap.

Default Horse guard - love it

Easy to install, durable, and safe. Due to an error on my part (fence not on during severe lightning storm), my filly went through the fence. Took out a fencepost, fence tape blowingin the wind, but not a scratch on her. Also nice looking-we have brown.

Another vote for Horse Guard. Wonderful stuff. We have miles of it.

We have brown too. It looks very "there" but not "there" if that makes sense. Perfectly visible to the horses, but not so in-your-face like board fence is (though I do love the look of nice board fencing, just have NO desire to fix chewed and kicked boards LOL).

I also have the brown Horseguard for my cross-fencing (exterior is Centaur HTP -- also brown -- so it goes well together). It has stood up quite well to our sometimes extreme gorge winds. Much better quality than the stuff you buy at our local farm store. Very good service, as well.

I have green with 3 strands - 10 years up and no problems ( on occasion the chargers fail ) very good quality hardware
    Risa
    happytrailstrailers
    balancedridetrailers

Another vote for HG. I use it to separate paddocks also. I think as long as your horses respect an electric fence, you should be fine. Foals are a bit different early on, as they just dont know, but they come to understand it and respect it also.
    I have green and brown, and prefer both those to a white tape. Just blends in so much nicer.

Wow, that is all good news. Thanks for the recommendations...we are definitely going to be installing it on the new farm.
    Thanks for the input!

Misty Meadows Horse Farm
    Clarkesville, GA
    www.mistymeadowshorsefarm.com

My yearling panicked the other day and hit my Horseguard at full speed trying to get back to the other horses. He snapped off 3 (older) cedar fence posts, broke the plastic insulators off a few more posts and ripped down about 80 feet of fence. I was surprised that the tape didn't break...I think it has a 600 lb breaking point...but he came through with only a "rug burn" type of mark where the tape must have zipped across his shoulder.

OK, I have Horseguard...lots of it....for years now. I have a couple of complaints but mostly I think it is a very safe and attractive fence.

I find the insulators break easily...the little thumbscrews on them break and I have to do a LOT of fixing of it. Perhaps that easy breakage is why the horses rarely get hurt on it, but it is not as low maintenance as I'd like. I have horses of all ages, stallions, foals, etc... behind it.

The only real wreck we ever had was a boarder foal who came in last Fall. The filly was flighty and the mare was not helping much running around and being goofy. We turned her out in a 4 acre field and the fence was normal...up, safe, tight, etc... At some point the filly ran into it and got tangled up. She wrapped a strand around her neck twice and struggled. I found her probably only minutes after it happened and got her loose but it was quite ugly. Not a mark on the filly but she was choking as she could not break the fence...she was too small. I had to cut her free. She was fine and recovered fast but I think if I had not gotten there when I did, we might have lost her.