The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BOTS!! - Worming ???

Ugghhh, bot eggs on one of the ponies this morning. I wormed with SafeChoice on Sept. 1, is it safe to worm now with an ivermectin product to get rid of the bots?

bot eggs on the hair?

dewormers will do nothing for those

and if you are just seeing them now, for the first time this season, there will be no bots inside. Concentrate on the fly eggs and deworm on schedule after your fly season is over.
    _\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    Cookie Dough is the Sushi of Desserts
    Introverted Since 1957

Ditto what hoopoe said.....my guys are getting them too. Unfortunately, wormers do nothing for them. Get a bot knife and go to town.

Thanks. I wasn't sure what to do with them and how worming affected them. I had just always been told to do ivermectin at the end of fall for "the bots" but I didn't want to do it too soon. Will get out bot knife...

It does take a while for the bots to hatch (inside the horse) and start some damage. If you live where it freezes, then after a good freeze is when you want to kill bots - ivermectin or moxidectin.

FYI - your Safeguard did little to nothing against anything

get a bot egg knife and take them off the horse
    here if any found then bot knife and remove as they are ususally in places whreby horses can lick themselves once on the tongue they can enter the body the eggs turn into lavaeand can help to take away all nutrients and even cause stomach ulcers
    so remove them before they can get ingested

http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/Adm...2900dfc4cd.jpg

I always heard ivermectin in January to take care of the bots.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Good question....

My vet dewormed my three with Quest two weeks ago and now those damn bot flies have appeared.

I am guessing that I will need to go ahead and do Equimax after the first freeze, correct???

Tractor Supply Horse and Pony Fly spray is the only thing I have ever found that repels bots. I thought we had completely licked our bot fly problem and got lazy one night and didn't spray the horses. Next morning, bot eggs. Haven't missed a night since and NO BOT EGGS!

dalpal, you need to wait at least 12 weeks after the Quest to use anything else, especially ivermectin. So, 9 more weeks. Don't sweat it, it will be fine

Not trying to hijack this thread but I have a couple questions JB - This fall I've yet to see any bots on my horse; I'm just assuming it'd be a good idea to still target them after the first freeze? And when deworming for bots, do you want to do it shortly (a month??) after the first hard frost or can you do it further into the winter? I know you don't want to do it too soon but I don't know about waiting..I ask because I plan to do a FEC on my horse soon and then deworm accordingly (he was last deowormed in June) but I don't want to do that and then miss my chance to get any bots! TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Personally, I would not skip a bot-targeted deworming in the Fall. You do need to wait for a good freeze (as opposed to frost) though to make sure the adults aren't going to be back around laying eggs again.

Even in areas that don't freeze, if temps are in the 40's, the adult movement is greatly slowed down, so ivermectin or moxidectin then is a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    dalpal, you need to wait at least 12 weeks after the Quest to use anything else, especially ivermectin. So, 9 more weeks. Don't sweat it, it will be fine
    Cool...thank you JB.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Personally, I would not skip a bot-targeted deworming in the Fall. You do need to wait for a good freeze (as opposed to frost) though to make sure the adults aren't going to be back around laying eggs again.

Even in areas that don't freeze, if temps are in the 40's, the adult movement is greatly slowed down, so ivermectin or moxidectin then is a good idea too.
    Thank you JB. This answers a question I had. My horse care experience is rather dated and I'm having a case of information overload, added to changes in protocol that my vet hasn't kept up with, well I guess I'm going to be asking a lot of stupid questions.
    Stupid question number one being about the eggs themselves - are they dormant until activated by saliva or do they have a point in time when they aren't viable? So do I need to remove them somewhere away from a potential feeding area and dispose of them? The old guy has so many I was consdering breaking out the clippers for a couple of spots - I'm going to shave him into nudity at the rate I'm going - we are basically windy and all pasture and I would need to select a spot to contain the hairs. I'm using that Horse and pony spray now but he was a bot fly magnet for a while. They were even laying them in his mane, I've never seen anything like it.

For a Cushingoid old guy like him, if I suspect he has ingested bots already, would it be worth it to deworm him now and then again after the 8 weeks and killing frost?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Sometimes dipping a rag in warm water will help get them off. Be very careful to wash you hands well...do not get the eggs in your eyes. I try to de-bot in an area where horses won't be grazing. I also dip the bot knife in flyspray as I'm using it.

ReSomething when was the last time you wormed? Less can be better, sometimes.

I wipe the areas with warm water and vinegar, which we used to do back in the day, the vinegar was supposed to mimic the PH of saliva and cause the eggs to hatch on the hair coat and die. I use regular razors and a nit comb from delousing the DD when she was in daycare, our TSC had no bot knives and doesn't seem to be getting them in, I think I'll call the outlying ones and maybe do an excursion.

They were both wormed in mid November, one with Ivercare at the time we took possession and the other, the old guy, with Equimax. The old guy was Power packed in the early spring and they both got Strongid in June. The neighbor's horses are close enough that we could be getting their bot flies, both those horses are quite chubby as is the pony, it's just the old guy I'd like to keep the least stressed. I am aware that there is a growing problem with resistance and that is why the newest protocol is to do a fecal and only treat the "shedders", but bots seem to be in a different category.
    I read an entire webinar on "the horse" and the discussion focussed almost exclusivly on strongyles - but as I recall, there were ascarids and pinworms and bots to deal with as well, as well as these "neck threadworms" I read about here, LOL! It was certainly simpler back in the day of nasal tubing once annually. Not as effective, but simpler.
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    Thanks for the link GLS.
    Incredible Invisible

A nit comb will work too. Also the slicker blocks (like a sanding block). Just sharpen them by rubbing on concrete.

I wouldn't bother worming until 1 month after a frost, unless your fecal tells you otherwise.

I use Quest Plus in the early spring, then fecals and follow up with Ivermectin or Zimectrin Gold in the very late fall. So far, so good.

IIRC, we used a disposable razor going with the direction of the hair to remove bot eggs when we used to get them.

I look, but I haven't seen any bots around here in years <knock on wood>.

Christa