The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smallest size saddle if I am 5'1.5", wear size 4, + have short flap dressage saddles?

Could I get away with a childs saddle? If so, how small?

I keep seeing small/childs saddles and wonder if they'd work, or am I dreaming?

Not sure if that would work, it really depends on a lot of things, like the style of the flap and depth of the seat.

By way of example, my DD is 5'2", a size 2 and outgrew her pony saddles 1 1/2 years ago. Her current saddle is a 17". It has a deeper seat and because she is long from hip to knee, needed a more forward (but not longer flap)

Thanks ponymom64! Hmm, length of hip to knee: do you happen to know what her measurement is? What is normal vs what is considered short?

I am guessing that I am short, but I dunno. My standing hip to knee is 16.5".

Oh, and I ride with a much longer leg under me than is correct, because I am a dressage rider and the short stirrup, knee hiked up just doesn't feel right to me. So, maybe that will make a difference in seat size, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
    Oh, and I ride with a much longer leg under me than is correct, because I am a dressage rider and the short stirrup, knee hiked up just doesn't feel right to me. So, maybe that will make a difference in seat size, too?
    Nah.
    The biggest size seat you can get a child's saddle in is 15 1/2" (unless this has changed since I was a kid?). I'm 5'2" and wear kids' size clothing, but kids' size saddle? Nope. Mine is a 16 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by flopsaut View Post
    Nah.
    The biggest size seat you can get a child's saddle in is 15 1/2" (unless this has changed since I was a kid?). I'm 5'2" and wear kids' size clothing, but kids' size saddle? Nope. Mine is a 16 1/2".
    Pessoa makes a 15 3/4 but that was the most recent one we outgrew

I'm 5'2, wear a size 0. I can also wear size 14 or 16 children's (in skirts). I ride in a 16.5 Amerigo. I can ride in a pony saddle when I have to, but it wouldn't be comfortable for every day. I also have a long leg for my height, 18" from hip to knee, and require a forward flap due to this.

I am 5'1 and 100lb, I ride in a 16.5.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/54406583@N04/5038050756/
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

could you get away with it? depends on what you're trying to get away with. I've seen a not skinny, 5' 6-ish trainer hop on a pony with a 15" saddle and give it a what-for very effectively. Didn't look very pretty, and I can't imagine it was that comfortable for either the trainer or the pony. But she got away with it.

If you're over 5' and a size 4 I can't imagine you could squish into anything smaller than a 16 1/2" - I'd guess you're probably a 17", and in some saddles possibly 17 1/2. The deeper the seat the larger size you'll need.
    As someone else pointed out, it has a lot to do with your hip-to-knee length, and a lot on the angle of the flap of the saddle you're trying.

Look for a few fingers width behind your backside, and a bit of flap in front of your knee,you don't want to be hanging over. That's where riding with a longer stirrup will help you fit into a smaller saddle (leg-wise) (but not backside-wise).

I'm about your size and would like to ride with a pretty straight, toes turned forward dressage leg.

I like a 16.5 with a straight flap. I also like some 16"ers but I don't buy those because I to maximize surface area on the horse's back. I wouldn't buy a 15 3/4" even though it is financially *so* tempting for brands like Pessoa.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

The kids saddles have really short flaps, you might fit in a 16 but the flaps would not fit right.

Also, even though a longer stirrup makes you feel more secure because you are used to it from dressage, in reality it will make you less secure and cause your leg to swing when you jump. You are much better off riding as short as your trainer wants you to ride and soon you will be just as confident in shorter stirrups.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
    Thanks ponymom64! Hmm, length of hip to knee: do you happen to know what her measurement is? What is normal vs what is considered short?

I am guessing that I am short, but I dunno. My standing hip to knee is 16.5".
    IIRC, length from hip to knee = saddle seat size.

I rode in a kids Antares for a long time, while mine was being made..didnt look bad, felt fine..and I am 5'5
    Go sit in some..
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

Quote Originally Posted by flopsaut View Post
    Nah.
    This. I'm 5'2", size 26/28 breeches and my saddle is a 16 1/2 (I do hunters so it's 16 1/2 M 2 1/2 Childeric to be exact, not a dressage model). I have a 16 that I can still ride in, but I like the 16 1/2 better.
    Last edited by tamarak_equestrian; Oct. 1, 2010 at 12:23 AM.

I'm 5'2," wear a size 4 or 6 in most pants, and ride in a 15.5" Antares. Most days it's fine, but on some days (for what ever reason), it's a total crotch masher. It's a semi-deep seat. I don't think I'd have the "mashing" problem if it were a flat seat. Flaps are good (normal length and forwardness...although I'd like them just a hair more forward).

For what it's worth, I brought it to an Antares rep to look into ordering the same saddle in a 16" or 16.5" and he was baffled as to why I wanted a different saddle and he thought it looked like a good fit.

OP-unless you are very short from the knee to the back of your hip, you are going to need a 16 1/2.

I am 5'2", 100lbs. I am long from knee to hip. My saddle is a 16 1/2 with a long flap.

Just for grins, try sitting in a varity of different seats, from 15 to 17, and without looking at the size, decide what feels the best.

I'm about your size and have a 15 3/4 Smith Worthington, and a 16" Pessoa. Currently looking for a new saddle due to wear on the Pessoa, and like the Arc de Triumphe very much. They come in a 15.5 and a 16.5 so trainer wants me to try both before I commit.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I am also 5' 1 1/2", breeches size 26" and I finally found the perfect fit for me in my replacement saddle that I got after tree twisted in my Pessoa A/O Jr. (go Pessoa for standing by it even through it was very old and replacing it with a brand new saddle!!!). It is the new Pessoa Genx Natural 16" with a forward flap. I fit in the kids 15 3/4" and 16" seats but my knee would pop in front of the flap when I picked the stirrups up to jump. Felt like I was swimming in our 16.5" or 17" saddles. But like everyone is saying it is up to your hip to knee length. Sit in a bunch of different saddles and you'll find your match.

I ride in a kids saddle (15" Butet) but I am significantly smaller than you. 4'10, 90 lbs. I think I am about the max for that size saddle (and I hear that Butet's run large? Although I don't know since I have never not ridden in one)

So, my vote is no. sorry
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

I'm 5'2" and ride in a stubben juventus saddle. I bought it because although it is a 'youth' saddle with approriate sized flaps for my short legs, it also comes with up to a 17" seat