The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default David O'Connor at the WEGs

He was listed on the order of go for dressage and I guess it was a "test ride"? What is the purpose of this?

Or, "Why isn't he concentrating on giving coaching/performance advice to the Canadian team he works with (and is being paid to do), rather than riding his own horse?"
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

When you have multiple judges, they do a test ride first thing before any of the competitors go to permit the judges to confer and align their scores (in theory, anyway). David/Rocket were the test pair this morning.

I believe that the purpose of a test ride is to let the judges communicate and get on the same page, before the competitors ride.

As to David O'Connor riding, it is probably to help draw in a crowd for the morning session. Sort of like letting Anky come in and do her dressge "reining" exhibition following the tests on Wednesday. I think that they wanted the crowd to stay for the awards ceremony. There is nothing like empty seats, with cameras rolling, to encourage a gimmic.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

So, is that self-indulgent or great marketing? He's the head of the USEF and the Canadian coach, so he's there anyways. Yes, he should be concentrating on the Canadians, but if they can't live without him for the hour it took to ride that test, they've got bigger problems than their coach doing the test ride.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    Or, "Why isn't he concentrating on giving coaching/performance advice to the Canadian team he works with (and is being paid to do), rather than riding his own horse?"
    Its nice to see DOC back in the ring at KHP! This comment was a little unnecessary, don't you think? I'm confident that he is there doing the best coaching of his life! Its certainly not as if he is slacking off on his coaching obligations to the Canadian team by doing the test ride. Look how much his contribution and help has improved the Canadians...

It was a nice gesture for him to have been invited to do the test ride. Maybe we should all just recognize it for that instead of bashing him for things we don't know anything about! What's the big deal? I don't understand why people start issues for no good reason

He did the test ride at AECs also.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

Thank you guys for asking and answering this question!! I saw some photos of a guy who looked a whole lot like him on the EN slideshow and couldn't figure out what I was seeing. Now it all makes sense... whew!

What a good idea to have a test ride for the judges!

Not to worry, he had plenty of time to coach Selena in warmup. Almost 2 hours between his ride and hers. And she had a nice loooong warmup. Good thing there is no test ride tomorrow, Rebecca is second to go.
    Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance. -- Oscar Wilde
    Some days you're the bug and some days you're the windshield, today I think you were both -- Jack LeGoff

Quote Originally Posted by ntoeventing View Post
    Its nice to see DOC back in the ring at KHP! This comment was a little unnecessary, don't you think? I'm confident that he is there doing the best coaching of his life! Its certainly not as if he is slacking off on his coaching obligations to the Canadian team by doing the test ride. Look how much his contribution and help has improved the Canadians...

It was a nice gesture for him to have been invited to do the test ride. Maybe we should all just recognize it for that instead of bashing him for things we don't know anything about! What's the big deal? I don't understand why people start issues for no good reason
    Well, I guess I should have a say since as a member of Canadian Eventing and Equine Canada, it's my $$$ paying his fees... and since I want the Canadians to have the best performance possible - if that means David should be there to give a pep talk, or to coordinate an early warm-up "pre-competition" or whatever.

But who am I to say? David's been wearing so many hats for so long, I guess adding another won't do any harm...
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

It was a nice gesture for him to have been invited to do the test ride. Maybe we should all just recognize it for that instead of bashing him for things we don't know anything about!
    Um, 'things we don't know anything about'?

Well, it's no big secret that David O'Connor is the coach of the Canadian eventing team and the president of the USEF.

It's entirely reasonable that a member of either of those organizations might wish that he stay focused on his paid duties or his elected responsibilities.

And it's also entirely reasonable that a member of either of those organizations would prefer him not to hold two positions with a rather inherent conflict of interest.

You're the one who's bashing here, ntoeventing.

I'm not saying you don't have a say...just saying that is was a little premature to attack the situation and automatically assume that he isn't doing everything he can to ensure the Canadians have sucessful WEG performances. I'm sure he has everything worked out so that all of his people are properly warmed up and pep talked...don't worry. We don't know all of the logistics of the situation. I'm sure DOC is doing all he is expected to do, plus some.

I'm sure DOC is doing all he is expected to do, plus some.
    If you have insider info, I'd love to hear about it...
    Blugal

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    If you have insider info, I'd love to hear about it...
    What a great debate! I would love to hear yours, too.

wow, what a load of assumptions! they did the same thing at rebecca before the start of the fei dressage...my daughter was first up at 8 something..and before she went, they had a test ride so that the quality and consistency of the judges scores could be reviewed....it is a courtesy not to just the judges to allow them to confer and be on the same page..which they did at great lengths that morning,,,but also, a courtesy to the competitors so the first score doesn't have to be "thrown out" like many mutiple judge events....cow horses..5 judges,,they throw out the high and low scores,,leaves you with 3 consistent ones! i believe it was bruce davidson's horse with a different rider who did the test ride there...which was a huge thing to do for fellow competitors. horsemanship, sportsmanship,giving back to the sport ring any bells with you folks????? or are you all really that self centered the DOC didn't get your permission to do this and it might effect "your" country's riders....geez, even god gets one day off a week! maybe he finally took a couple hours to have some fun, and ride in one of the nicest horse facilities for a bit and do good for all involved....maybe he was just being a horseman and not thinking about all that other stuff and just enjoyed his ride time on a nice horse.....ENVY MUCH????

Amen, SNIT. Eventing FEI tests are supposed to have a test rider for judges' calibration, and you need a horse and a rider that can perform it fairly well. Can't believe people are getting their undies twisted over DOC for being the test rider!

It has nothing to do with envy.

It has long been a practice to have a test ride. That is not what this debate is about.

You say he deserves a day off, or a couple hours to have some fun? Not when he's being paid to do a job and it's the day of competition.

Boy, I would just love it if I were paid to do my job, but at the biggest crunch time of the past 2 years, could just take off to have a couple hours of fun on my boss's dime...
    Blugal

That's what I figured, I just had never seen that before. Kinda cool!

Sorry, I don't buy the "work hours" argument. Unless there was a Canadian rider needing DOC's attention exactly during the time he warmed-up and rode the test, which would not be 2 hours, I think we are all wasting our work time (are you at work now?).

Well, lets see. DOC was out at the AEC's running a tractor to aerate the grounds. My goodness, he wasn't coaching the Canadians every minute there either!

Yes, I imagine it was a good thing to have him riding the test ride because he is a known quantity rider...the venue wasn't going to affect him so the judges had a quality test to compare notes on.

Do I think it was going to effect how the Canadians rode? It might have helped them, because the BOSS knew what the arena was like.

I think this is making a mountain out of a molehill, and I think David was doing a job that he could do as well or better than anyone else.