The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gray hair and age

As I was doing night check I was amused to notice that "the old guy" is getting very gray on his head. His head is starting to look like it belongs to a varnish appy not a chestnut with a stripe.

Gray at the muzzle, over his eyes, on his cheeks and even starting in his mane in spots, he also has gray on his hip bones.

He didn't use to be this gray, we have had him 10 yrs and have pictures to prove the spread.

He has no papers so his age is just a guess but for those of you with older horses, at what age to they usually start to gray? His coggins says 26 but it is a general guess.

*BTW this is mainly just for fun, I know that without papers it is very hard to tell, even by teeth.

Whenever the graying gene goes off. Sometimes it is age related, other times I think it is stress related.

I bought my husband a 7 year old appaloosa gelding that was sorrel chestnut with a tiny white spotted blanket on his rump. Very tiny blanket. Two years later we moved him to a smaller farm. It was his first time away from what he knew was home, and he freaked out with the move. Unless he was in the company of the older gelding he was a wreak. Within a year the color was completely different: dark chestnut with roaning on the head, dark chestnut on the neck and lower legs, and white completely around from the withers to the tail. You would never have known it was the same horse.

Same thing with my old mare. Every spring when she shed out there would be more grey around her face. I also thought it was funny the first time I found a grey hair in her mane. I guess she was about 20-21 when I found the first one in her mane.

My guy is 26; I have owned him since he was 5. He was a plain bay with not a speck of white on him until last year. Now he has gray around his eyes, temples, elbows, etc.

A friend of mine has a 30 year old bay Arabian who has a ton of gray around his eyes, temples, and muzzle where previously he just had a stripe. I think it makes him looked distinguished.

My horse is 15. He is a bay Oldenburg and has quite a lot of grey hair in his mane + tail also on his legs. He is going to have socks pretty soon.
    Owned by an Oldenburg