The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Stupid question about running martingales as proper hunting attire in hunter trials

I am looking to enter my horse in a hunter trials, footing permitting. He goes cross country in a running martingale and a standing is not a good substitute. The schedule specifies that the horse and rider must wear "proper hunting attire and tack." I have seen references on other hunts' websites about standing martingales but have never seen anything about a running. Is a running martingale considered atypical attire period full stop, or is this something that varies by hunt and about which I should enquire?

(I am also under the impression that I ought to borrow a vest if I possibly can? My stock tie is around here somewhere. It may be a single class over low fences but I don't see that as a reason not to do things right...)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Which hunt's hunter trials are you attending? I can give you a better idea how strict things will be.

Generally though, judges really don't look at attire at a hunter trials. If you were in the stakes or the master's class (which some have), you may be docked for a running martingale because it is not "traditional," but plenty foxhunters actually hunt in running martingales.

As for vest, it's not required. I've never worn one out hunting or at a hunter trial, but if you do, make sure it fits under your hunt coat. They look out of place over the coat. I know several people who wear them under their coats out hunting.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I am looking to attend the Greenspring trials at the end of October. Thank you for your input- it's been several years since I last rode in a hunter trials. Interesting about the master's class- I can't remember enough about the other competitors to remember whether they wore runnings or not, I was just overawed to have been in it in the first place.

I actually meant a canary vest- I have yet to see a protective one that will fit well under a hunt coat!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Sorry, my mistake about the vest. But vests are not required, no one will be checking under your coat. If it's a cold day, you might want one.

As for the GSVH hunter trials, don't worry about the martingale. There will be plenty of people there in odd tack (several race horses in attendance). I will likely be there either doing the scoring/results or with clients who are participating.

If you are interested in other hunter trials:

100 Acre Field (Mt. Carmel) is having one Oct. 10th (just up the street from the GSV kennels);
    Elkridge-Harford is on Oct. 17th;
    Greenspring is on Oct. 24th; and
    Cheshire is on Oct. 31st.

Renn/aissance and Steelerider - looks like we might see you there, as I'm debating bailing on Waredaca and bringing my big boy to the hunter trials instead (since we're right up the road)

I had a tack question as well - though not martingale related as we've decided that since we don't really need it, it's just one more piece of tack to clean when we're done Is there a problem with keeping my horse in his figure-8 noseband, or will that be frowned upon. It's been years since I've hunted with any regularity - and the last horse I hunted went beautifully in my hunt bridle with it's plain noseband - but I'd love to not have to switch up the big boy's tack if the figure 8 is not a big deal!

And...since I'm asking questions...when it comes to apparel, does proper "hunting attire and tack" mean formal dress (ie: black coats). I have a lovely tweed and brown boots that I miss getting to wear (to the point that I wore them at a HT this weekend) and would dust off for the hunter trial...but will wear black if that's what everyone else will be doing!
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

As for noseband, leave him in whatever he will go best in. Figure 8 if that's what he goes best in.

As for attire, yes, black coat, white stock attire. There may be a few people in informal attire (tweed), but the past few years it has definitely been 98% formal attire.