The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why are chestnuts harder to sell as dressage horses?

Why does everyone want a black or dark bay horse for dressage? Why are chestnuts so much harder to sell?

I'm watching the WEG right now and so many of the top horses are chestnut. Exquis Nadine, Warum Nicht, Mistral Hojris, Parzival. Since many breeders actively breed for bays and blacks I sometimes wonder if there are proportionately more talented chestnut dressage horses than there are the more popular dark coloured ones?

Everyone seems to want black or bay and over 16hh. For resale, that's pretty much what we look for.

Default Just suppose...

1st People read on forums that chestnut geldings and mares are hard to sell...so they don't buy chestnut horses...so chestnut horses are hard to sell.

2nd Trainers find or their customers bring them nice horses and they train them on. Their customers buy all the black and bay geldings and then all the black and bay mares and the trainers keep training the chestnut horses so they end up at the WEG and Olympics.

3rd Ambitious upcomers go horse shopping and the blacks and bays are all too expensive...the chestnuts with bling are gone...the perfectly nice plain chestnuts are left. Ambitious upcomer gets to WEG with poor plain chestnut.
    PatO

Too funny, I was just having this discussion with a few fellow COTHers at Devon. I, peronally, don't get it, and I love Dressage!

I love chestnut and look at them first. They don't fade in the sun (except my liver did fade to a pretty blond this year). Generally speaking, they can stay out all day without turning an ugly yellow.

I love chestnut as a color on any horse and see absolutely no temperament or soundness difference between that and any other color. I won't help perpetuate this apparently self-perpetuating myth in any way. The one thing I have noticed is that chestnuts can blend in and not stand out in a sand-based show ring, but put them on grass and they look great! Other than that, "The Gods Must Be Crazy"!

The top riders don't see color.
    The next rungs down see color.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    THIS

Springer and Oakstable --- right on!
    Personally, I have a soft spot for the chestnuts and I've heard "that all the great ones are red"

What would Hanoverians and KWPN be without Weltmeyer and Jazz lines?

So they don't see chestnut as an issue.

I think GOV and Trakehner verbands seem to use the "dark sweater" in marketing.

I love chestnuts, and looked at many for my last purchase. The ones I found were either too pricey (deservedly) or screwy (also deservedly). It's like all the size 30 breeches, 34B bras, or 78 blankets. The good ones go fast. What's left over is, well...leftover.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

No doubt about it. Chestnuts are way harder to move. If they are liver or have lots of bling thats totally different though.

All things being the same I would choose chestnut. I like chestnut and there are just so many bay sport horses. I'm happy everytime my bay mare spits out another chestnut (3 for 3). In the end it doesn't really make a difference because you should choose a horse based on talent, conformation, temperment, etc....and that has nothing to do with coat color.

It's along the same lines as petite-to-average women wanting 17hh dressage horses. Completely unnecessary and unrelated to ability.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

Because they don't look good in black tack .
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post

THANK YOU!!!!

I personally don't see just the color, but it ended up my last two horses were black bay and black. However my (2) previous chestnuts are always fondly remembered as my favorites temperamentally. I was very open minded to color in my last shopping search (and always have been), and I do love blacks, but I would have taken a chestnut in a heartbeat if it were the right match for me. And in fact I tried out 2 of them, they just weren't "the ones".

As a rider who rode many many horses in WP the bays especially when they are almost black go great in almost any color and combo. Chestnuts are a bit harder on my color palette. However unless its the arab mare I ride now or A Fine Romance I will not buy a bay(Love me some romance but I am so not deserving of him). My favorite color is palomino with chestnut with flaxen mane and tail a close second. TBs I prefer gray and I am just OCD enough to keep one clean.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

And I think chestnuts look FABULOUS in black tack, the contrast against the orange is stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by WBLover View Post
    And I think chestnuts look FABULOUS in black tack, the contrast against the orange is stunning!
    This....black tack is the best thing that ever happened for chestnuts (and grays)
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

The majority of the GP/upper level horses at our barn are chestnut. With sires such as Pik Solo, Gold Luck, Wolkentanz II , and Argus. Go figure!
    And they all look very fancy in their black tack!