The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eugene Oregon: lessons

Hello, can anyone recommend a quality lesson barn within 20-40 minutes of Eugene OR (from the University?)

I'm looking to take lessons with a good jumper coach, on their horses (not planning to haul mine in.) I am quite distant from the area and will not be able to go down in advance to check anything out. Not a baby beginner, but not jumping anything big and wanting to work on balance and technique.

Please post or PM (positives and negatives...there seems to be about 100 barns advertised, and I know from experience that the best often don't have public ads, and the worst sometimes have great publicity!)
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Triple Rise. Super reputation, excellent instruction, good school horses (show worthy). They focus on hunters and equitation, but also have jumpers.

Poseidon(?) Farm-- they do jumpers almost exclusively. Always have winners in the ammy ranks.

There's another one...I can't think of the name, but Amy Gau is a trainer there. They seem to have nice horses and lots of talented riders who do great at the shows.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I'll echo Calvincrowe....

My first choice would be Triple Rise with Mike and Mollie Gallaway (www.triplerisehorseshows.com). Mike is really a phenomenal horseman and teacher and has always been on my list of people I would ride with if I ended up in Oregon.

Amy Gau is also great (Christus Farm, I think), we came up through the Juniors together (I will not say how many years ago that was now! ). She's a beautiful rider and I've heard nothing but good things about her as a trainer from her people.

As far as having horses for you to ride, I would think that Triple Rise would be your better bet. As far as coaching you as a jumper rider, both would be a great.

Karianne Boyce-Lockhart just built a beatiful new barn about 10 mins from Eugene in Creswell. She shows in the upper level jumpers, but has clients that also do the hunters and eq. She is the best. wwww.poseidonstables.com.

Quote Originally Posted by LovesHorses View Post
    Karianne Boyce-Lockhart just built a beatiful new barn about 10 mins from Eugene in Creswell. She shows in the upper level jumpers, but has clients that also do the hunters and eq. She is the best. wwww.poseidonstables.com.
    Yup, another vote for Kari! (Poseidon Stables). I've known Kari for years & she is fantastic. Quality program with top-notch care. She usually has a couple horses in the barn that she can do lessons / part-leases on. Lovely new facility, too. Give her a call!

Karianne Boyce-Lockhart
    Poseidon Stables
    http://web.mac.com/poseidonstables/P...s/Lessons.html

Sounds like all three, Poseidon, Christus and Triple Rise are good bets for what I need, so I will be contacting them all to chat! I only arrive in the area mid-March, so I have a while to set up.

More suggestions are always welcome! Thank you everyone.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior