The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Buying boots on ebay?

In a price search for a particular pair of paddock boots, ebay ads popped up for them as well as regular sites (dover, etc.

It seems there are people selling boots at about half price, and a little less, that are advertised as brand new without the box and in some cases without tags as well. Their feedback ratings are excellent and these sellers have thousands of prior sells to base feedback on.

S/H'ing is normal, so it's not a case of low price but jacked up S/H'ing.

Anyone know if these types of things are legit? Where are they getting all these boots w.out boxes and tags and selling them at half price?

These boots could be seconds. Usually it doesn't matter much because you wear them around the barn anyway, so if they have a small scratch, who cares. Ask questions.

Jacking up shipping in not allowed on Ebay. You can report them for it.

wringle Guest

well, I dont care what's "in season" or "out of season" I buy things because I like them and they are very comfy and warm shoes. It was suggested to me to buy them on ebay to save money, but I don't want to be duped, but so far I can see its a bad idea, and I will go to the official site as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Wigwag View Post
    Anyone know if these types of things are legit? Where are they getting all these boots w.out boxes and tags and selling them at half price?
    Perfectly legit. Could be seconds, like the poster below said, or they could be returns from a large company, or they could have worked out some sort of deal with the supplier, or many other options.

I've bought thousands of dollars of stuff on ebay (mostly in my never-ending saddle search!! ) and have never had an issue.

I've bought 5 pairs of boots on eBay for my sister and I, and I have always been happy with the quality of the transaction and the boots themselves. Often these are seconds, or closeouts. I bought Ariat paddock boots, Mountain Horse winter boots, Dublin paddock boots, Dublin tall boots, and ariat tall boots. All were great and flawless--some new in box, some new without tags.

Quote Originally Posted by wringle View Post
    well, I dont care what's "in season" or "out of season" I buy things because I like them and they are very comfy and warm shoes.
    What on earth are you talking about? I couldn't care less what is in season/style. I need a pair of warm winter paddock boots so my toes don't freeze.