The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quickest way to soften HARD hoofs?

Last time-about a month ago--farrier couldn't trim one of the horse's hoofs because they were too hard.* Now, as of a couple of days ago, horse is lame on rf, and it looks as if there's a crack/split on the medial-to-front that is catching every time he takes a step because the hoof has grown longer in the front than at the medial side. (I don't know why.)

I tried to nip the "corner" off myself but couldn't do it either. I can get it off with a rasp but I'm only getting off about a micro meter per 20 vigorous swipes.

I've been reluctant to soak the hoof because of his propensity to develop abscesses.

Does anyone know a speedy way to soften a hoof?

Thanks.

*Result of years of drought.

How dull is your rasp that you can only get a tiny amount off with 20 swipes, or part of a wall that's cracked and (presumably) "peeling" enough to be catching things?

Your farrier needs power tools is this is an issue in your area. However, soaking for 20-30 minutes in water is not going to soften things to the point of developing abscesses, and can make the farrier's job easier.

3 members found this post helpful.

Angel grinder works real good for trimming hard as rock hoofs. Do need to get horses used to the noise though. Better know what your doing, or a whole bunch of hoof can be taken off real fast.

Consult with a remedial farrier.

Torch
    Eric Russell CJF

1 members found this post helpful.

For me the best way to soften hard feet is to stand the horse in clean water for 10-20 minutes. I like hose the feet and or legs on the wash rack.

This must be done the day before trimming, or if the appointment is in the afternoon, the feet can be soaked that morning.

2 members found this post helpful.

JB--The rasp is brand new.

eruss--"Torch"?

grayarab--It would not be worth my life to use power tools (noisy or vibrating) on this horse.

Reynard--None where I live.

Csaper--That's what I finally did (with help). 20 min, water that started out clean, hoof jack to avoid operator contortions. My nippers (used only twice before) finally got through the wall, & I evened it up with my rasp.

It seemed to help.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermein View Post
    JB--The rasp is brand new.

eruss--"Torch"?

grayarab--It would not be worth my life to use power tools (noisy or vibrating) on this horse.

Reynard--None where I live.

Csaper--That's what I finally did (with help). 20 min, water that started out clean, hoof jack to avoid operator contortions. My nippers (used only twice before) finally got through the wall, & I evened it up with my rasp.

It seemed to help.

Thanks.
    I'm glad you've managed to sort out the problem.

eruss--"Torch"?
    Yes, burn the foot, with a torch, like a shoe was being burned on.
    Eric Russell CJF

I put boots on the horse the night before a trim. Then I put a little water in the boots about an hour before trimming. It helps a lot.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have one of these too... And to add to it all, he's a rescue who has foundered a few times, so keeping up on the trims is absolutely necessary. He's a mustang with the hardest feet you can ever imagine. In the Summer (we get no rain for at least FOUR months each year, everything is bone dry), I pour water out on the ground, make it very wet, then feed him in the middle of it. Let him stand and eat in mud and water for an hour before the farrier shows up - and we can at least hack away at his feet.

The only other option is power tools - and not all horses will tolerate that. Water is your friend...

2 members found this post helpful.

Track farriers use a small torch to soft the hoof, only takes a few seconds and then they can easily do the work they need to.

My Stallion had to have it done every time he was reset as no matter what his soles were very hard and still are very hard no matter what I put on his feet daily

[QUOTE=Hermein;8897750]

My two arabs are the jumpiest spooks and even they got used to the noise of angel grinder. Wasn't a fast deal getting them used to it,the one gelding will flat run you over if scared. Riding them is to say the least interesting, can leap sideways 6 feet in the blink of an eye.

Thanks for all replies.

This boy is also a rescue. Probably 1400 lbs with height to match. In his earlier life, he was a saddle bronc--which does nothing good for their attitudes. Absolutely everything has been a struggle with this horse. When he first came, he would kick at me when I brought his hay. As the saying goes: "God protects drunks and fools." I don't drink.

I had never heard of using a torch to soften hooves.

(Is the plural of "Hoof" hoofs or hooves?)

Forshner hoof packing.
    Best thing to soften hooves.
    ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.

LOL, move to FLorida in the summer where it rains all the time!
    But seriously, I like the boot and water idea.

Quote Originally Posted by eruss View Post
    Torch
    That's what my farrier uses in the winter here. (We are dry in the winter, plus cold, so hooves,are really hard.
    Eagerly awaiting Jan 20th, 2017. Drain the swamp.

My horse can be a total nutcase for the farrier. I've had two farriers fire us because they didn't want to deal with him. BUT for whatever reason, he got used to the grinder on his feet in no time. I haven't met one yet who couldn't figure it out.

Soak in water, my farrier uses a torch as well, horse is fine with it - I was surprised

(Is the plural of "Hoof" hoofs or hooves?)

Hooves
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."