The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Red face My Craigslist colt - Last video post #215 - In Memoriam

I won't post too many details since I don't have him in my posession yet, but I am hoping someone might have an old blanket they might want to send my way. Of course, I forgot to measure him, but he is 9 months although more like a 6 months old at this point.
    Never sure when the snow is going to fly up here so I want to be ready - he's already been through enough hardship...

What would be the best feeding program for him? Don't want to overload him, but I want to start making things right.

And no, I wasn't really looking for a baby, but things happen...

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL179.../392226347.jpg

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL179.../392226346.jpg

Doesn't he have a sweet face??
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL179.../392226348.jpg

Oh yeah, and he needs a name! Something strong, like a warrior.
    Last edited by BEARCAT; Apr. 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: fix pics

This little guy doesn't know yet how lucky he is. I think he has a sweet, sweet face, and I hope that, with your TLC he will grow into a strong and healthy boy. When you can, please post more about him. I'm no good at naming, but I'll think about it.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

OMG!!! When are you getting him?? Please do it soon..............you will need lots of wormer too
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Here is my choice and a link for you to read for more choices; but I do think mine is right for that face of his.

ALVAR: Middle English form of Anglo-Saxon Ælfhere, meaning "elf army."

http://www.20000-names.com/warrior_n...names_male.htm

I wouldn't have been able to pass up that face either.

I'd give him as much hay as he'll eat and feed him a good quality pelleted feed. I would stay away from anything higher than 12% to start. He's young so I'll bet he'll spring back pretty quickly even with just hay.

I'd call him Treasure - Trez for short. I think that's what he'll end up being.

I have a blanket but he probably won't be able to wear it for a few more years. It's a size 82, warm winter blanket but has a rip in it. It could probably easily be sewed up though but I am not crafty like that. Let me know if you want it and it will be all yours.
    Owned by an Oldenburg

OMG, that poor colt! I've never seen such a wormy belly on a foal before I don't have any name suggestions at the moment but please tell us his story (though the picture seems to say it all..) when you can. Good luck with him! What breed is he?

Bless you, BEARCAT, for giving this little dude a crack at a good life. I have no doubt that he will reward you many times over! Ditto Diamond's comment that he needs deworming in a big way. That's one wormy belly!

He looks so sweet! Good on you, and best of luck with your Craigslist find!

Oh my god, thank you Mimi, but that would be waaay too huge!!
    I'm thinking maybe a 60?
    I'll see if seller can measure him.

Red face

Oh, poor baby! I bet you will find bringing him up will be a very rewarding experience. I bought a very sad weanling (emaciated dam.. kept in a small pen in a back yard), and boy she has blossomed into my dream horse.

Yes, first thing, those worms, I know there are people on here with better advice then mine. But I think you want to start with a mild dewormer like Pancur before bringing out the big guns.

My youngster was put on all she could eat grass hay, and a ration balancer at first. Later we added alfalfa and more concentrates. - Oh, and she was on Ugard for a while, just to help her out. She was very fussy and didn't like "grain" until her condition improved.

As for blankets, I don't have any small enough for him, but I remember Schneider’s had "Jr" blankets in the $50 - $60 range.

BEARCAT, I bought a blanket last year for a foal of mine. It is a medium weight turnout, and I think it is about a 63 or so? It is like new, if you think it will fit him. She is a Hanoverian filly, but not huge, and it wasn't especially roomy on her. Bless you for giving him a home.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Holy cow, what a hellacious worm belly. Bless you. Keep posting pics, and listen to the wormologists, there are a bunch on this board. :-)

Sweet face.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Thumbs up

clint, thank you for the offer - I sent you a PM.

Back to work on some fencing. I am setting up a pen for him so he can be quarantined until I have my vet assess him.

Just be careful with the de-worming: it needs to be done gradually & you may want to start him on anti-inflammatories before you start the anthelmintics - if you haven't dealt with horses in this condition before, make sure you really do your research first or have an experienced mentor nearby.

Have you discussed previous treatment history with the current owner (very low protein hay will also contribute to the ribby, extended belly).

I used to bring in PMU foals who were most definitely very wormy, and sometimes very sick. The first time we wormed them we used a mild wormer, such as Anthelcide, as a big worm die-off can be harmful. We would worm a month later with ivermectrin. Growing foals need protein, so I wouldn't put him on a low protein diet. Feed him a good quality hay with some sort of supplement designed for growing foals. I fed Strategy and always had good results with it. Good luck with the little guy. I'll PM you now.

Quarantine is a really good idea. Immune compromised foals can, at the very least, have ringworm and at the worst, strangles.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

You're awesome for saving this guy.

For some reason, Salvation came to mind for his name, so:

Booth ... probably due to Salvation Army founder William Booth
    Elisha ... "God is my salvation."
    Esias ... "God is salvation."
    Hosea ... "Salvation."
    Isaiah ... "Salvation of God; the Lord helps me." ...
    Jace ... Variant short form of Jason (Hebrew) "the Lord is my salvation".
    Jason ... "Healer; the Lord is salvation." ...
    Jesus ... "The Lord is salvation." ...
    Joshua ... "Jehovah is salvation." ...

I really like Booth.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

He reminds me of my appy gelding. I bought him at 9 months of age, and we figured out later that he had either never been wormed, or not wormed enough...it took a while to get that under control. He is about the same color too (when he's not bleached out).

I named him Cheveyo, which is Hopi for Spirit Warrior. But I call him Chevy.

He was also totally wild when I got him, but is now the sweetest pocket pony you ever could want.

It took a long time to get rid of the belly, even with high-quality feed and 2 powerpacs. It's really been the last few months (he's 2) that he looks like a "real" horse. He looks amazing now, though!

Good luck with your boy. I'm sure that he will grow into a wonderful companion under your care!

I am set to pick him up friday afternoon.

As far as names, I like:
    Alexander (The Great)- Alex or Xander for short
    Zachariah or Zacarias - means Remembered by God and seems fitting in his case. Zac for short.
    I also like Rochambeau - since I am taking a gamble with him. Don't know what I would call him for short (and don't say Beau - not a big fan of that name...)

Oh, he might be anemic too...we had Chevy on redcell for a long time, in addition to a probiotic and daily dewormer...but you probably already know all that.

Xander is cool!

Anything is better than the name Chevy came with ... TJ. I'm not a fan of "J" names...

how about Dartagnan?

He is so cute, congratulations