The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Previcox. Cheapest place to get it with a script?

I need to buy a bottle of previcox. My vet will write a script. Who has the cheapest prices? Hoping you all can save me some time if you already have researched it. I need a bottle of 60, 57 mg.

I usually do a search and find who has it the cheapest. I can't remember the exact site, but it's usually around $125 for the 57mg bottle.
    Enough with the drama!

I used to get if for $99 a bottle from Alivet. Great service too!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I get mine from smartpak. I did not shop around, but I like the quality of their customer service and speed in getting me my order.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I wanted to get my 60 tablet (227mg) bottle from Rood & Riddle in KY...free shipping with orders over $100 and the bottle is $140, but my vet said she'd match the price if I bought it through her. Just received my bottle in the mail from Webster's Vet Supply through my vet.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Valley Vet, 126.95 for 60 count 227 mg. Free shipping. Pill splitter is about 2 bucks to whack them into 4 pieces. I ordered last week, vet called in prescription. Had the package 3 days later.

Costco. Not kidding.

How do you all get prescriptions from your Vets for Previcox?

My Vet would NOT give me a script. He said it was not FDA approved for horses, when there is an equine substitute. He also mentioned it would be unethical for him to do so.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post

My Vet would NOT give me a script. He said it was not FDA approved for horses, when there is an equine substitute. He also mentioned it would be unethical for him to do so.
    Yup, and the AVMA issued this in May: http://www.avma.org/issues/drugs/pre...oxx_100511.asp

A message to horse owners:

It is against federal regulations for a veterinarian to prescribe or dispense the product Previcox®, labeled for use only in dogs, for use in horses because there is already a FDA-approved drug for use in horses (Equioxx®).

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post

Your vet is correct. Legally, he can not prescribe previcox. Some do it anyway.....and some are getting in trouble for it....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Yup. Previcox is the canine version for Equioxx. Equioxx is prohibitively expensive and it is the same formulation. The drug company loses money if we use previcox instead of Equioxx for our horses. They get enough money from me without my paying an inflated price because it is labeled for horses. I guess I would have to research catalogs that sell pet medications.

Walk/Trot,
    Are the 227mg tablets scored in quarters so they cut easily and uniformly?

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

The 227 tablets are scored in halves and quarter fairly easy and awfully close to true quarters, but I wouldn't count on them for show specific doses (but I probably wouldn't use anything but equioox for showing anyway just in case).

Old dogs are a horseman's best friend!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Leather View Post
    Yup, and the AVMA issued this in May: http://www.avma.org/issues/drugs/pre...oxx_100511.asp

Quote Originally Posted by foggybok View Post
    Your vet is correct. Legally, he can not prescribe previcox. Some do it anyway.....and some are getting in trouble for it....
    It seems like many people are getting scripts for it...I wonder why a Vet would risk getting in trouble for prescribing it? Strange.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
    Yup. Previcox is the canine version for Equioxx. Equioxx is prohibitively expensive and it is the same formulation. The drug company loses money if we use previcox instead of Equioxx for our horses. They get enough money from me without my paying an inflated price because it is labeled for horses. I guess I would have to research catalogs that sell pet medications.

Walk/Trot,
    Are the 227mg tablets scored in quarters so they cut easily and uniformly?
    Not quite...and this is the key. The formulations are very different although the drug substance is identical. But the way the FDA approves drugs, a different formulation means it is essentially a different product.....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

My vet was prescribing it for my gelding last year but he will not any longer. It is not worth his license.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

My vet won't write a script because it's not FDA approved. She is a small/large animal vet so she has it in stock. I get it on the "side".
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

I get it for our old guy and it works wonders. I pay $3 per pill for the 227mg and just cut it in quarters.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

I also get it "on the side" - the benefit to working with small animals!

Horse isnt on it anymore, but when he needed it, it wored great! I used 1/4 tab of the 227mg every 48 hours. No, the tabs werent scored and they were "approx" 1/4. However, dosage is 57mg every 36 hours for a 1000lb horse. Difficult to administer that way,so most people go every 48 hours.

With most medications, we round up/down with dogs/cats too. Rounding "down" is the safest but even if your pill is closer to 1/2 than 1/4 at 48 hour interval on a horse 1000lb+, you should be safe...as the next dose would likely be less than 1/4!