The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Rachel Alexandra Retired

According to Three Chimneys' Facebook page, Rachel Alexandra has been retired.

Since there's no more info as of now, one can only assume she came out of the work yesterday with an issue:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...in-bullet-work

....I'm sure they'll update with more info soon....

It's on the TTime's facebook--
    "Despite top training and a patient campaign, Rachel Alexandra did not return to her 2009 form," majority owner Jess Jackson said. "I believe it’s time to retire our Champion and reward her with a less stressful life."

They'll breed her to Curlin, as planned.

Wow - I'm stunned they'd make this decision now.

While she isn't the same horse as last year it would be fair to say that no gal running in North American had a better year in decades like she did in 2009.

Courier Journal 9-28-10 "Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra retired"

“As you know, despite top training and a patient campaign, Rachel Alexandra did not return to her 2009 form,” Jackson said in a release. “I believe it’s time to retire our champion and reward her with a less stressful life. We are delighted that she will retire healthy and happy to our beautiful farm in Kentucky."

Rachel will be bred to former Horse of the Year Curlin.

I hope they do breed her to Curlin...that will be exciting to follow!

Also shocked that they did it NOW. I half expected this announcement the monday after the PE, but thought it was a good sign that she went back to work. I also wonder if she came out of yesterday's work with an issue.

Seems to me it's awful late in the season to try to get a still race-fit mare in foal.

Ah well. She gave me such thrills. I am truly grateful to have had the chance to see her tremendous 3 yo campaign- and to have witnessed her Woodward and her last race first hand. Thanks, filly. Make pretty babies. Don't get sold to Japan. I want you all for ourselves.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Loss of form does sometimes happen. It's disappointing, to be sure. I'd hoped to see her in the Distaff, at the very least, since she does like the Churchill track. But I'm not shedding tears. If she's had enough, she's had enough.

But a Rachel/Curlin baby will be exciting to look forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    Also shocked that they did it NOW. I half expected this announcement the monday after the PE, but thought it was a good sign that she went back to work. I also wonder if she came out of yesterday's work with an issue.

Seems to me it's awful late in the season to try to get a still race-fit mare in foal.

Ah well. She gave me such thrills. I am truly grateful to have had the chance to see her tremendous 3 yo campaign- and to have witnessed her Woodward and her last race first hand. Thanks, filly. Make pretty babies. Don't get sold to Japan. I want you all for ourselves.
    The breeding shed closed in July. She will most likely be put under lights and bred in February.

No since she wouldn't see a breeding shed until late Febuary at the soonest.....Thoroughbred breeding season is closed for 2010.

Not thinking a whit today, am I. I attribute this to inhaling cleaning product fumes all afternoon.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

This was hardly a surprise. Only surprise is it wasn't announced a couple of months ago.
    I've been calling this for the last 6 months...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...89&postcount=7
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=43

I still say she will be nowhere near Louisville come the BC next Nov, or if she is it'll be in a paddock outside of Lexington.
    I still maintain that she will not race at Churchill in Nov... and in the slim chance she does, it won't be in the Classic.

Good of Jackson not to hide behind an "injury". Admitting she's not the same horse as last year is more than a lot of connections like to admit. I respect him for that.

Shame she won't go for the Beldame, she was training lights out.

I'm very grateful they retired her sound and healthy. Part of me kept hoping against hope she'd regain form. She's still not chump change by any stretch of the imagination, just not the super filly she was last year.

The babies coming to market will be exciting .
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Calena View Post
    I'm very grateful they retired her sound and healthy. Part of me kept hoping against hope she'd regain form. She's still not chump change by any stretch of the imagination, just not the super filly she was last year.

The babies coming to market will be exciting .
    I doubt Jackson has any intention off selling those babies! (I'd also be stunned if Rachel ended up on a plane to Japan). What he buys, he intends to race and then breed later for his own racing stable. It's the way it used to be, and now only the folks with deep pockets like JJ can afford to do it on that sort of scale. God bless 'im, racing needs him.

If she's had enough, she's had enough
    She had enough her last race of the 3 year old season.

I hope she enjoys long summer evenings and making babies. She was a great draw to the sport and I enjoyed watching her.

I'm selfishly sad that I have been living outside the US for the last 4 years and didn't get to see her in person; thought I might get the chance at BC Ladies Night this November.

Sigh.

Bah.

Meh.

Between this and RQ, I think I'll keep away from any more racing news for the rest of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I doubt Jackson has any intention off selling those babies!
    He might. He sold 50 of his babies at the September sale.

I am sorry but glad she is sound & not broken down ~~
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Sep. 28, 2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: addition
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I am not at all into racing, but follow it. Good for the owners to recognize she needs to be retired. Best wishes for her in Feb at the breeding shed. She is a lovely gal.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

I can't say this doesn't surprise me.He'd rather retire her now than have to race in the Distaff or worse lose to Zenyatta in the Classic