The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What proper warm up should look like! Reiner Klimke Biotop Aachen

Here is a lovely video of Reiner Klimke warming up Biotop at Aachen in a snaffle. What true dressage training should look like Where has the sport gone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzG-0TyTuMs

Klimke was always lovely

thank you for posting this link. What an amazing warm up, what a super quality horse. Simple half halts by a true genius, raising the front end and the horse starts to dance!

Amazing how he manages to get that quality of work out of the horse without ripping its face around with the whole weight of his torso and yanking his arm back to his armpit.

I am not a dressage rider (nor do I aspire to be one) but I have to say that I would rather watch something like this than anything I've seen coming from WEG so far. Granted, I'm only watching highlights of WEG so may have missed a pair that has that same relaxed beautiful flowing feel, but I'd be surprised.

Wish that people were still riding that way.

Now back to my athletically challenged trail mount...

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHennery View Post
    I am not a dressage rider (nor do I aspire to be one) but I have to say that I would rather watch something like this than anything I've seen coming from WEG so far. Granted, I'm only watching highlights of WEG so may have missed a pair that has that same relaxed beautiful flowing feel, but I'd be surprised.

Wish that people were still riding that way.

Now back to my athletically challenged trail mount...
    Well put. If I were seeing more rides like this winning in dressage today, I wouldn't be walking away from it.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

That's a schooling ride, not a warm up for a test. When he was warming up for the test he was kicking the horse really hard with spurs, because he 'thought' it hadn't halted square (it had)
    I like him very much, but it isn't fair to compare a schooling ride with warming up for a big competition test. Even Klimke sometimes gave 'one in the gob, two in the guts'

Raff,

The photos coming out of Adelinde Cornelissen were from the day before during one of HER "schooling rides", I am sorry there is NO comparison.

Not a dressage rider either, but that was beautiful to watch. I aspire to ride that well some day! (A horse of that caliber wouldn't hurt either )

Oh, I see. The term 'Warm Up' is usually used to describe preparing for a test.

no, you also warmup before getting down to business in any ride .....

Have you seen the vid of Steffan Peters warming up in Achen last year?

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTIyzybTYP0

I really like Steffen's riding. Here's the link working:

Steffen Aachen 2009

Default Oops!

Thanks!

I am a little confused by the "schooling ride" v. "warm up" distinction.

First of all, if this is the 'schooling ride' on video, do we have video evidence that he was kicking the bejeezus out of the horse for the "real" warm up or is this just an assumption? On what basis are you informing us that for the "real" warm up he "was kicking this horse really hard?"

Secondly, are we meant to believe it is somehow a PREREQUISITE to competition to warmup with "one in the gob, two in the guts?"
    Or may it actually be possible to warmup pleasantly as shown in the video?
    Have we come to the point where we don't think it is even POSSIBLE to warm up for a big competition in a pleasant and relaxed manner???

Thirdly, the pictures do not show "one in the gob, two in the guts." They show an endless repetition of "one in the gob" and several more in the guts to go with them.
    Even if this horse did get one little moment from Klimke, that is still different, imo, from what is going on in the latest warmup photos.

I am sorry if I have confused everyone with the title. I should have just put "This is what dressage should look like."

Calm down, RK is on video warming up for a test at Aachen, Carol Lavell (sp?) narrating.If you're interested enough you could probably find it.He got it wrong and was unfair to the horse, it happens.I was just mentioning it because it demonstrated that,even for the best, riding is not all rainbows and butterflies.
    As for some agenda re photos etc, I was not aware of, or commenting on that.

Default Nice!!!

Steffen is PURE CLASS!!! Oh.....and that pony he is riding is OK too

How very interesting.

raff:

I have done an extensive search and cannot for the life of me find the video of Reiner giving his horse "one in the gob, and two in the gut" you are referring to.

You also stated, "When he was warming up for the test he was kicking the horse really hard with spurs, because he 'thought' it hadn't halted square (it had)."

I really would like to see this video for myself because after having worked extensively with Willy Schultheis, I find it extremely difficult to believe that Reiner Klimke of all riders would not be able to actually feel if his horse was square or not. I am sorry to be such a dunce but would you be so kind and post that video for me. Thanks for any assistance you might offer.

Just goes to show that you CAN have submission, suppleness and obedience without cranking their chins into their chests....