The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What material would you choose for run in shed?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wood

15 100.00%
  • Metal

0 0%
  • other- describe

0 0%

Default run in shed... would you go metal pole barn or wood? Why?

The shed will be located in the field. If I go with metal it will have kick boards.

What are the pros & cons of each? Which would you choose?
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

If you've ever seen an injury from a metal run in shed or roof, for that matter, you probably wouldn't consider metal. I know a lot of people have them, and never have a problem, but....

I've got one that's made of wood. The downside is, of course, they love to chew on it. I periodically reapply this non-chew stuff I bought at the local farm supply, so it's not all that bad. But it definitely has a lived-in look!

Sharp metal edges? No thanks.

If it's metal you have to deal with all the sharp edges (by applying *more* metal (trim) to make a smooth edge.)

If it's wood... either you put on metal trim, or they chew it.

I did wood (T1-11 siding and rough cut lumber for kick boards) over a steel frame from Klene Pipe. It's almost finished... http://www.flickr.com/photos/1080347...th/5011321565/

I'm happy with it, but I'll probably just do a simple wood structure for the next pasture.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Well, to knock on wood, I've had an all wood run-in shed for 8 years now and no chewing.

It's 1 1/4" rough cut wood, 18' x 36' and tall with a metal roof (no where near horse head - even if rears which they do in play. Sigh).

Now, one horse does chew the tops of my fences, but that is more of a bored habit. I think (and yes, her teeth are checked/done semi-annually).
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

wood. metal has sharp edges and is horribly hot in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    If you've ever seen an injury from a metal run in shed or roof, for that matter, you probably wouldn't consider metal. I know a lot of people have them, and never have a problem, but....
    This.

Only I've had two horses in a year cut themselves on the metal buildings that were here on the farm when we moved in. I can't wait 'till all our construction is done and there are no more metal surfaces for them to try and slice legs off on!

If the horses have access to the outside of the shed, they will rub on (and bend/smash/otherwise destroy) the exterior of the metal building.

Go with wood. And if you're really worried about chewing, get some nice heavy duty metal edging pieces (like these ones).

Yes, horses can hurt themselves on wood too, but after dealing with the metal issues I'm 100% sure I never want to build a metal building.
    -Jessica

Besides the obvious injuries that may occur with metal, I also think it would be much hotter.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I had a horse long ago boarded in a place with a metal shed. Very well taken care of and no exposed sharp edges (or so I thought...) Somehow, when the ground got muddy, she slid her foot under the outside edge of the barn.....sliced right through her coronary band....nasty injury!

Of course she tried to kill herself a number of times and could probably have accomplished it in a padded stall........
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

All my run-ins are wood with metal roofs. No wood chewing, too much grass to keep their interest!

I did wood so I could stain to match the house. It's easier to replace a board if one gets kicked or otherwise damaged.
    I live in the South and wood "breathes" better, warmer in winter and cooler in summer.

I've seen some really nice block/stucco sheds, very cool in summer but not cheap.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!