The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fauquier County Livestock Sale fire

WTOP radio reported this morning that the Marshall auction building is a complete loss. Over 70 firefighters from the surrounding area worked overnight to contain the flames. About 50 of the 250 or so cattle died in the fire.

I can remember going to the "old" stockyards, over where TSC is now. I imagine that the Thurmont and New Holland sales will be picking up the horses that normally would have gone through the once a month sale at Marshall.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

So sad - and so strange...Friend and I were online looking at their website yesterday to find out more about the horse auction. We couldn't figure why so many people around here were rallying for Camelot horses when we had an auction just up the street. We couldn't find any reference to horse auctions on their website - only cattle. Had they stopped the horse auctions and that's why people were looking to Camelot?

I live right down the road from there. Saw fire trucks rushing that way, thought it could be Tri-County or Piedmont or even the school because we could see the flames from where we live which is about 5 miles away! Sky was orange.
    Very sad scene but the news report was corrected a little while ago and they suspect only 5 out of the 250 cows were killed in the fire.
    They had horse auctions there every 2nd Saturday of the month from what I researched. I too had been curious about that.
    Sad day for the area, that place was a landmark and I had looked forward to eating at that restaurant some day!

horribly saddened by this news. i started attending that auction with my grandfather as a child and still went, although infrequently, today. some great horses and ponies came from there, and you couldn't beat a breakfast from the onsite diner.

my husband and i had often talked about all of the old wood in that building - directly behind the auction auditorium were dozens of stalls and pens built from rough-cut lumber under a series of high metal roofs, the oldest section even had a wonky catwalk for fast scanning.

i'm hoping that they had full insurance and can rebuild
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmom View Post
    horribly saddened by this news. i started attending that auction with my grandfather as a child and still went, although infrequently, today. some great horses and ponies came from there, and you couldn't beat a breakfast from the onsite diner.

my husband and i had often talked about all of the old wood in that building - directly behind the auction auditorium were dozens of stalls and pens built from rough-cut lumber under a series of high metal roofs, the oldest section even had a wonky catwalk for fast scanning.

i'm hoping that they had full insurance and can rebuild
    I'm hoping the same thing!

I heard that they corrected the number of cows - only 5 or so were killed. Very sad nonetheless. I used to go to that auction.

They discontinued the horse auction a couple years ago from what I understand.

They haven't held the horse sale for over a year now, thank heaven.

I work at Tri County, and we were hosting a meeting for the Upperville Show committee last night. It was my day off, but I'd gone in for some extra hours while the meeting was going on. They were just wrapping up and heading out when someone yelled that the Exchange was on fire. The store owner called 911, and about eight of us ran over and started opening every gate we could reach. We got most of them out before the fire departments arrived, and more got out when they came with chainsaws and bolt cutters to get at some that we couldn't get at.

It is NO EXAGGERATION how fast fire moves in a wood building like a barn. We got in, and the fire was only visible on about 10ft of ceiling at the south end. By the time we got a bunch out of that end, it had spread to about a quarter of the ceiling, about 20ft from the side door where we were shooing the cows out. A couple of us went around to the east side to get those cattle out, pulling gates off hinges and closing off empty pens to funnel them away from the barn. Within 15 minutes of starting to get cows out, the whole barn was engulfed. It was scorching hot 100ft from the fire, absolutely terrifying.

It was awesome seeing how the community came together, with people bringing in panels for temporary corrals and keeping the cows off the roads. Apparently, they found the remains of only 5 or 6, out of 250-300 head that were there for the sale they were supposed to have today.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

Condolences on the loss of the barn. Amazing work on the part of the community, fire department and workers to get the barn cleared to minimize the loss of life.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I'm amazed at how many animals were saved. That place is a rabbit warren of twists and turns and chutes. The outdoor areas are where locals drop off cattle in the am. But a lot of farmers drop off the night before, especially if there is a graded sale the next day.

The loss of this auction is going to put a real hurt on local farmers. With the bottom falling out of the horse market, there was no money to be made on the horse end of things so they'd quit doing it a year or so ago.

There are only a few livestock auctions in Virginia - and that one was a biggie. It's a real loss in more ways than one.

I hope they rebuild. Kudos to the volunteers and crews who worked to save those animals.

Crazy. I spent ALOT of time there at the horse sales in the mid 80s to 91.....know it like the back of my hand.....rode a few through for folks so they wouldn't go to KBs...weird to think of it just....gone.....

Best story I remember from there is when my friend Linda and I attended a sale in my Nissan Sentra wagon. She decided she HAD TO HAVE a cute little tan goat with green eyes for her horse at home.....he came home with us in the back seat of my wagon (little buck horns poking out and all)....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

AWSOME JOB getting all those cattle out....what a job well done. usually in times like these, cattle panic...especially when they are not used to humans and a new area. Thats amazing that so many of them were saved.

There's coffee in that nebula.

Quote Originally Posted by WNT View Post
    They haven't held the horse sale for over a year now, thank heaven.

I work at Tri County, and we were hosting a meeting for the Upperville Show committee last night. It was my day off, but I'd gone in for some extra hours while the meeting was going on. They were just wrapping up and heading out when someone yelled that the Exchange was on fire. The store owner called 911, and about eight of us ran over and started opening every gate we could reach. We got most of them out before the fire departments arrived, and more got out when they came with chainsaws and bolt cutters to get at some that we couldn't get at.

It is NO EXAGGERATION how fast fire moves in a wood building like a barn. We got in, and the fire was only visible on about 10ft of ceiling at the south end. By the time we got a bunch out of that end, it had spread to about a quarter of the ceiling, about 20ft from the side door where we were shooing the cows out. A couple of us went around to the east side to get those cattle out, pulling gates off hinges and closing off empty pens to funnel them away from the barn. Within 15 minutes of starting to get cows out, the whole barn was engulfed. It was scorching hot 100ft from the fire, absolutely terrifying.

It was awesome seeing how the community came together, with people bringing in panels for temporary corrals and keeping the cows off the roads. Apparently, they found the remains of only 5 or 6, out of 250-300 head that were there for the sale they were supposed to have today.
    Thank GOODNESS you guys were there, no? If it hadn't been for your meeting they would have probably lost a ton more than they did. Kudos kudos kudos to you guys! I know they are just cows but I believe a barn fire is the most horrible way to die and I started to cry thinking about them when I saw that fire.
    Was a very big fire. I was worried for Piedmont AND Tri-County for a while...the embers were falling very close to those facilities.

While the loss of the building is a major blow to the area, so many factors combined to prevent a horrible disaster.

We have not had rain in weeks until this week and what we got was a good, all day soaking rain. Without the meeting next door and in the extremely dry conditions, that fire could easily have spread beyond the Livestock Exchange.

Hooray for the quick and resourceful action of the community and major thanks to all the firefighters who responded.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Quote Originally Posted by Everythingbutwings View Post
    While the loss of the building is a major blow to the area, so many factors combined to prevent a horrible disaster.

We have not had rain in weeks until this week and what we got was a good, all day soaking rain. Without the meeting next door and in the extremely dry conditions, that fire could easily have spread beyond the Livestock Exchange.

Hooray for the quick and resourceful action of the community and major thanks to all the firefighters who responded.
    Ditto.

Here's an updated news report with short video:
    http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...3167&catid=188
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Just read in the paper.

The Board said they plan to rebuild.

Apparently, if the restaurant passes the health inspection, they'll be open Saturday! Fingers crossed that rebuilding has smooth sailing.

Did speak with someone today saying the count was up to 15 that didn't get out, though.
    -Mythbusters

sd1103 Guest

Default stockyard fire

i was one of the many firefigters there that night -was there in 5 min of the call going out. since i live in the plains and vol in marshall- i had got there with out any gear- it was comming on the next engine from our dept- but in that time i also sprang into action and grab bolt cutters from eng-4- and proceded to the back to help get the cows out with the others- and was the last to leave that area before the fire flare up-and almost got the rest of the cows-out. but they where way down in the back of the pin and i tryed to get to them but the smoke and then the fire and heat- just over whelm me to much to get to them. and all i could think of was those animals i didnt get to- but aleast i did cut the other two gates that where bolted- and cows came running or i should say stampeding out of there and was glad that i actuley had a helping hand in saving some of them.

sd1103, was that in that east-side wing? It was really a team effort to get those cows out, and I'm glad you had the tools that we didn't to finish the job. I remember my boss being over there saying that the gate was chained and he couldn't get it off the hinges. It makes me a little queasy that some of them had such a terrible fate, but very relieved that we were able to save many more.
    -Mythbusters