The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Ummm, that is part of responsible horse ownership. No, it's not cheap. It's a big body. I really don't have any sympathy for complaints about this one -- it's your horse's final vet bill. None of the other vet bills are cheap, I don't know why people expect that somehow the last one should be. One should always be prepared for these costs, it's irresponsible not to have $300-400 available in some form even for an injury or illness.
    I completely agree ............ kudos!

12# dogs and 1,200# horses are a completely different story, but you'll never silence the anti-slaughter crowd.

They fought for humanity in the US, then fought so hard that they closed down the humane slaughterhouses in the US ........ freaks, now there is no control over humanity. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin H Transport View Post
    I completely agree ............ kudos!

12# dogs and 1,200# horses are a completely different story, but you'll never silence the anti-slaughter crowd.

They fought for humanity in the US, then fought so hard that they closed down the humane slaughterhouses in the US ........ freaks, now there is no control over humanity. Go figure.

What does paying to euthanize - a given when owning animals - have to do with slaughter?
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaundry View Post
    What does paying to euthanize - a given when owning animals - have to do with slaughter?
    I'll spell this out, but if it were free to dispose of a horse, there would be no slaughter sales.

I saw this at our state fair a few years ago. Maybe somebody should invest in one.

http://www.bioliquidator.com/index.html
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

Painfully fresh topic. Just lost my best friend three weeks ago. In our situation he was living at a friend's house in a roomy paddock with another horse. He had some major neck issues and I was at the point of starting to plan. He did the planning for us and died peacefully in his paddock. I tried to find someone with a backhoe but no go. It also wasn't my property and we have an issue with water levels. It was three hundred cash to have him taken away (landfill). Not my choice by any stretch of the means for my heart horse - but we had to act fast. Cremation was out - had just spent several hundred on a vet bill - and was a little blindsided by the 7 am call that my horse had died. Sucks big time.

lost my heart horse in jan. of 2009 my neighbor buried him for me for free at 8am on a sunday morning.
    the equine clinic i work at uses a guy, he charges 150.00 for horses, he will also come to the farms for the same amount.
    i am sorry there are so many people that have so many problems with their dear departed equines.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    Sucks big time.
    I feel for ya. The last mare we had put down was literally drowning on her feet with pneumonia, she just wouldn't give up. We had her scoped and she was swimming with heart failure, but she was also 32!

I agree with another poster. It makes dropping off a lame, old, or sick horse at an auction a really cost effective idea.

I personally could NEVER drop off any horse at an auction let alone a lame,old or sick horse.I'm the type of owner who believes a horse(or any animal you decide to own) is a commitment for the duration of its life.I couldn't imagine selling my horse at auction and not knowing whether he'd gone to slaughter or a loving home. I also couldn't imagine hauling a horse to a zoo or hunt facility to be euthanized by gunshot.I'd want my horse to be euthanized,at home surrounded by familiar scenery and the people and animal friends who loved him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bank of Dad View Post
    $350 from Valley Proteins to remove the late horse. I liked to fell thru the floor. I was away when it happened, so just made arrangements over the phone.

What othere choice is there, cost to rent and bury is just as much. No wonder there's so many give away older horses.

I haven't even received the colic/euth bill yet.
    I know. A couple years ago it was 300 for Valley to remove a dead horse here...so probably is 350 now. It was just as much to hire a backhoe operator to come dig a hole so no cheaper to do that. Up until regs changed how Valley disposed of COWS (their business staple) it was 50.00. The mad cow disease prevention processing regs caused the costs to skyrocket...has nothing to do with the horses.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsBuddy View Post
    I had to put a horse down in June. The livestock hauler charged $250 to take to the rendering plant and they come within an hour (very nice compassionate animal owners). His costs have gone up in the last year. Vet charged about $150 for euthanizing.
    Jets Buddy -- Was it "Black's" that did the hauling for you? I had to put a horse down last March, and my vet scheduled for him to be there at the same time as the euthanization. The hauler was very professional and compassionate. After by boy was "gone" I couldn't bring myself to watch him winched into the truck, so I went inside. Later on, my husband went outside, and found a lock of my boy's mane, nicely cut and curled where he had been put down. The hauler had left the lock for me. It definitely wasn't the vet, because she was gone before I went inside. I was very touched at his thoughtfulness....
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I agree with another poster. It makes dropping off a lame, old, or sick horse at an auction a really cost effective idea.

For cripes sakes, what is a few hundred dollars for a horse that gave someone many years of pleasure and companionship??? Dump him/her off at an auction?

How many people #itching about the cost of burial, won't blink an eye about spending the same amount or more buying a new saddle, trailer, or even your board for the month!
    Gosh!!

My Vet bill for two visits recently totaled $350 for each visit.

My horse, my responsibility.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post

A couple of guys in CT were trying to get approvals to create a horse crematory, but last I knew, they'd not been successful.
    I was wondering what the outcome of that was... Sad, in such a congested state, we really could have used that.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    For cripes sakes, what is a few hundred dollars for a horse that gave someone many years of pleasure and companionship??? Dump him/her off at an auction?
    Keep those rose colored glasses on =)

They are called compassionate, do the right thing glasses...

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    They are called compassionate, do the right thing glasses...
    meh, I've been there, you can research before mocking me

How about you put some on - doesn't have to be rose colored but anything is better than blind. It's called responsibility. If you see a spade you call it a spade.

Yeah, yeah, people need a place to dump their horses the easy way and get paid for it. Never mind asking for help from others or taking responsibility for your choice in owning the beast in the first place - made by a conscience decision. The right thing to do always takes a little time and usually money but there is always someone to step up and help in whatever way they can, including vets who don't charge for the euthanizing. Of course the rendering service has to make money. Just like those who haul to slaughter.

Disposing of a horse should be looked at as nothing more than one last vet bill. You got a horse you expect the bills. It's not complicated.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

meh, I've been there, you can research before mocking me
    Perhaps you need some reading glasses... Where in this thread did I mock you? You responded to my post...

Quote Originally Posted by EightBelles134 View Post
    I also couldn't imagine hauling a horse to a zoo or hunt facility to be euthanized by gunshot.I'd want my horse to be euthanized,at home surrounded by familiar scenery and the people and animal friends who loved him/her.
    From my research, gunshot is perhaps the most humane way to euthanize a horse. I used to be a member of one of the hunts around here, and the farm where the kennels are and huntsman lives isn't a "scary" environment for the horse. Thanks to folks who had input about what their hunts do; it makes sense that it would be something limited to members.

The earlier poster who has the land to take the horse to a place where the scavenging animals do their work has a great option. I don't know that I could shoot my horse myself (unless some horrible accident occurred and I couldn't wait for the vet *and* I had an appropriate firearm handy), but I'm not at all averse to gunshot as a mode of death.

My horse has lived in multiple boarding facilities over his life and I think he perceives "love" to come from whomever is feeding him. He's an "in the moment" kind of guy.

I was wondering what the outcome of that was... Sad, in such a congested state, we really could have used that.
    Durham residents wouldn't allow it. And when I say "wouldn't allow" I mean they went nucking futs at every single town hall meeting. Talk about rude screaming citiots!
    The general consensus by the newer Durham residents was:
    1) Even though the trucks were going to be plain without writing on them and closed...children would know that the plain white truck had dead ponies in it and Think Of The Children!
    2) They already disliked having school buses slow down their morning commutes, the felt the rare truck on Durham roads would slow them down even more.
    3) Even though the building would not emit smoke or smell due to the temps the furnace worked at...the children would know. Nobody is thinking of those children!
    4) Durham Fair is the biggest and oldest Ag fair in Ct and their logo is a cow. Cows belong in Durham, horses do not. Especially dead ones.
    5) No, nobody can slaughter or render cows here either! The fair logo is a LIVE cow! Think of the children!
    6) One of the men who lives down the street from the proposed site is a Yale professor. (still scratching my head what this had to do with anything but it made the whole crowd ooo and ahh)

And the scariest part? As funny as some of the above reads...I'm so not kidding. Actual comments at the town hall meetings. Usually delivered in a screeching voice. And the naysayers would boo and hiss loudly over any supporters whenever they had floor time to talk. And one woman who was really upset about what her children would think if they ever knew about any of this? That stupid cow was standing right next to me. WITH HER TWO CHILDREN! And knew there was a video to be played about how the process worked. She let them watch it.

So yeah, that's why CT didn't get the large animal crematory.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte