The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Buying Saddle from Canada (shipping to US)

I'm looking at a used saddle from a private party that is in Canada -- I'm in the US. The seller doesn't know any more about shipping across the border than I do, so I'm looking for help in what would be the best method to use? I want to get an idea of cost and also don't want it to take forever getting here. And what will I need to expect with customs or duties? The saddle is made in Canada and is used. Any help is appreciated - thanks!

Well I'm in Canada and I shipped a saddle to the States.
    I decided to go FedEx...which was more expensive, but got their quicker and I could track it very well (and get better insurance). Had no problems with customs because of it.
    Cost something under $200 I believe.
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Shipping Canada Post or USPS will end up cheaper than shipping UPS or FedEx. Like... way cheaper because of customs/brokerage fees. Some people have had issues with people not treating packages with any particular care, but I find if they're packed well you're usually OK. I've shipped several with USPS.

Since the saddle was made in Canada, you should be OK as far as duty goes; NAFTA applies. There's something about used goods that applies too...

I'm not sure how it works shipping from Canada to the US, but I do know if it were the US to Canada you'd be paying $$$ in GST/PST (tax which is 13%ish). However I'm not sure that applies shipping to the US. Someone smarter than me will have to weigh in!

horsepoor is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for the replies thus far - anyone else care to weigh in?

I ship products for my business to the US all the time - sometimes the post office is more expensive than UPS or Fedex believe it or not. However, shipping fedex/ups the seller if it is private could say it is a gift - then customs charges. If they don't they have to include a commercial invoice and nafta certificate - they also need a GST no.

I have sent saddles and other items that I sold on Ebay to Canada. It is easy. You have to fill out the custom form at the post office. I always put that it is a gift. The fees are not that expensive depending on the value you put on the saddle and the weight.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    I have sent saddles and other items that I sold on Ebay to Canada.
    Thanks, but I'm looking for shipping Canada to US.

I'm not looking to cheat on paying the appropriate customs or duty fees, but would like to know what I am in for so I can figure on the total cost of buying this particular saddle. Don't want any surprises!

Bumping this cuz now I'm in the same boat! Google isn't helping me much.

Original Poster

I'm the OP, and I did get the saddle, and it was kind of humorous, it was so difficult to get a straight answer. In the end, the seller sent it via FedEx and I did not owe any duty because the saddle was made in Canada. I can't recall how much it was to ship -- something around $100 or more maybe? It was a fiasco in trying to find out rates and such as every time the seller went to any one with the question (how much to ship this?), I swear we got different answers. She was out in the sticks in northern BC, so I think that really limited the choices.

I purchased a Sensation Treeless Saddle from Nickers, the Canadian Manufacturer. I was charged around $70.00 for postal shipping.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."