The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up UPDATE -Dover Rant - They Came Through!!

I've only ever had 1 problem with Dover in all the years I've done business with them, but today they've annoyed the crap out of me! I've had my Dover visa for years. I like the convenience of using one card for all my horse expenses. I like the rewards rebates. And I was really happy earlier this year when the changed their shipping policy to give a flat rate if you use your Dover card for orders.

So today I place an order for a pair of breeches and a helmet because SmarPak doesn't carry either. Go to checkout and notice that my option for paying no longer includes the Dover Visa. Whatever, put in my payment information, and notice there's no adjustment for shipping.

So I call Dover. Apparently they have a NEW card. My old card no longer earns points or lower shipping rate. There's NO information about it on their website, etc. On top of that, the customer service rep I spoke to can't cancel my order because it won't show in their system for a few horus, and won't help me with getting information about the new card, because "I should have gotten that in the mail."

So I will hope that SmarPak buyer will order the new helmet I want, and I'll go without the breeches until I cool off.

ETA UPDATE: I have to give Dover credit where credit is due. They came through for me again! Resolved the credit card issue with a phone call, gave me a credit certificate for what I would have saved in the shipping and the points I lost because of the credit card change, and the helmet, which is a brand new model and not generally available for several months from other suppliers was shipped today. So although I'm still not happy with the first customer service rep I dealt with for the whole affair, I have to say that as usual, at least in my personal experience, Dover has gone above and beyond again for me.
    Last edited by Trevelyan96; Oct. 21, 2010 at 12:34 PM.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Trevelyan96, sorry to hear you had problems but maybe some of it might just have been your fault as well. When you first noticed your option for paying was NOT your Dover Visa, you should have contacted them immediately to find out why rather than continue on with the order. I'm presuming you ARE talking about doing an on line order.

Maybe reasons like you've run into are why I rarely order on line. I'd rather talk to a real person.

I'm not sticking up for Dover but the woman whose horse is at my place just ordered several turnouts and the service was prompt and she didn't say anything about any problems.

I've rarely ordered from Dover but when I have, I've had excellent service.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

I got a letter from PNC bank this weekend letting me know that the bank credit card is no longer assoicated with Dover and they would be sending me a new card. I only had it for the shipping deal so I will just cancel it.

UGHHHH!!! Honestly I have no idea how Dover plans to stay in business when they are competing with Smartpak. I have never had ONE issue with Smartpak and have had several with Dover.There are times when I can't get exactly what i want from Smartpak, but they will usually find me something similar or make and effort to get what I need. and for $7.95 shipping for ANYTHING, you just can't beat it, no matter what card you use!I am sorry for your frustration and I don't agree that ANY of it is your fault, if you needed a new card to get what you wanted they should be able to give you that card number over the phone and charge it to that account and then send you the new card, end of story.
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

More and more I am choosing which businesses to buy from based on customer service. And for the WORST customer service on the planet, try Verizon!

Quote Originally Posted by TSB View Post
    I got a letter from PNC bank this weekend letting me know that the bank credit card is no longer assoicated with Dover and they would be sending me a new card. I only had it for the shipping deal so I will just cancel it.
    Same here - no need to have a random PNC card that doesn't get me any additional benefits at Dover, so I'll cancel when the new one arrives. I will miss the reward points/gift certificates. That was a nice perk. Hopefully Dover will make arrangements with another bank, and continue the practice.

I'm glad I read this thread. I have no needs for just another card...even if it has a pretty picture of a horsie on it.

I will be cancelling my current card immediately.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by trafalgar View Post
    More and more I am choosing which businesses to buy from based on customer service.
    Same. It's why I stick to AT&T, Bank of America, SmartPak, and VTO. I've had some half-decent interactions with Dover, but lately I've just had down right nasty experiences with them where I was left feeling frustrated and offended.

...When's SmartPak going to get a credit card??
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I just had an annoying time with Horse.com. Ordered a blanket that didn't say it was no longer available, let me order and pay as though everything was hunky-dory....Checked online Monday to see what the status was.....blanket part had been CANCELLED!!!! Did I get notification of this???? Called and bi-otched about it......they said they couldn't stop the rest of the order (one measly lead rope!) since it was 'in warehouse'.....

Ordered the blanket from Schneiders.......never had trouble from them....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I believe there ARE benefits to the new card, and those *should* have been explained to you. You can now earn points anywhere, not just on your Dover purchases; I believe the interest rate is also lower, and the flat rate shipping ($4.95) is still in effect.

If you placed your order on line, and you used your Dover Visa, your shipping should have been adjusted manually to $4.95. If it wasn't perhaps if you called Customer Service they may be able to help you out.

Dover sucks moose balls, let's face it! Their overpriced shipping is an absolute joke! The last time I ordered from them, I paid extra for "expedited" or some such, and it still took 2 weeks to get the item to me! 5 days just to get the package out of the warehouse!!!

COME ON, PEOPLE!

Dover is truly my vendor of last resort. I can get stuff shipped from Europe faster, and for about the same price. And NO, I'm not signing up for a credit card just to cover up the crap service so that they can profit from that too!

Ugh, Dover makes me absolutely furious, just as a concept....

Well, just to spoil the "we hate Dover party", I just had another great experience with them.

Someone pointed out a hunt coat that I really like that I know fits me great was in the sale catalog for $99. I check online and only one color was available, in one size. Just so happens it was My size and the color I wanted! It's fate, right?

Well, I ordered online, tempting fate, but what the hey, it was worth the attempt. Get a phone call from Dover that it's not going to happen, we do a little magic in the phone call and I just got home from a weekend away to a brand new hunt coat on my doorstep. YEA! for Dover!!!! I've very excited.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by TSB View Post
    I got the letter from PNC bank yesterday. I had to laugh though since I just got the card this spring! I will be canceling mine now because I only got it for the shipping and rewards at Dover. Hopefully Dover will offer free or flat-rate shipping with another card because their overpriced shipping practices will cause me to shop elsewhere if they don't!

I've only ordered from Dover once and I'll never order from them again! It took two frickin' months for them to ship my stuff, which wasn't back ordered until 2 weeks after they should have already shipped my stuff! I did have an issue with Smartpak once, but after dealing with Dover, I'm sticking with Smartpak!

Well, I hate to rain on your ranting but I just got an email from Dover about their new Platinum Visa card with $4.95 flat rate shipping. I've cut and pasted the following as well:

*$4.95 flat rate shipping and handling will apply on Dover Saddlery purchases made with your Dover Visa Card. Flat rate shipping in conjunction with use of the Dover Visa card is offered by Dover Saddlery only. We will ship via standard FedEx SmartPost to the lower 48 states of the USA only. Additional shipping and handling charges apply on certain items.

★ Earn up to 10 points for every dollar spent at Dover Saddlery and 1 point for every dollar spent anywhere else. When you earn 2,500 points, you'll receive a $10 Dover Saddlery Rewards Certificate!

★ No Annual Fee

★ Low Variable APR

★ Online Credit Card Access to view account information to make payments

★ Auto Rental Insurance automatically covers the repair or loss of a rental car, whenever you use your Visa card to pay for the car rental.

★ Convenient cash access at thousands of ATMs.

★ Zero Liability Protection from verified unauthorized purchases online and off.

★ Travel Accident Insurance at no additional charge.

★ Travel Assistance Services including pre-trip planning, roadside assistance, legal referrals, and medical referrals.

★ FREE additional cards for family members (must be at least 21 years of age.)

IF I did a lot of shopping for my horses, I'd sure consider this card. Unfortunately my horse is a retiree. The only shopping for him would be halters, leads, brushes and turnouts. I don't think he needs TO as he has 3 light, 3 mid and 3 heavyweights as well as 4 leather halters. He's a very well dressed retiree to say the least.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Quote Originally Posted by trafalgar View Post
    More and more I am choosing which businesses to buy from based on customer service. And for the WORST customer service on the planet, try Verizon!
    OMG!!! I KNOW!!! Each and every phone call to them wastes at least an hour of my time. It's very frustrating.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Trevelyan96, sorry to hear you had problems but maybe some of it might just have been your fault as well. When you first noticed your option for paying was NOT your Dover Visa, you should have contacted them immediately to find out why rather than continue on with the order. I'm presuming you ARE talking about doing an on line order. .
    I guess you did not see the part where I CALLED customer service?

I'm not so much irritated at the fact that they're changing cards, I'm irritated at how little help was offered by the CS rep who basically said "too bad, so sad... you should have gotten information regarding the change in credit card status in the mail, so you'll have to call back later today and cancel your order (because she couldn't do it then) and then re-do your order and get the new card." She had abcolutely no desire whatsoever to help me resolve the issue then, and could not have cared less that I've been a good customer for over 10 years!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I love smartpak...they go out of their way to make everything work! And when it doesn't, they apologize. That is huge to me.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    I guess you did not see the part where I CALLED customer service?

I'm not so much irritated at the fact that they're changing cards, I'm irritated at how little help was offered by the CS rep who basically said "too bad, so sad... you should have gotten information regarding the change in credit card status in the mail, so you'll have to call back later today and cancel your order (because she couldn't do it then) and then re-do your order and get the new card." She had abcolutely no desire whatsoever to help me resolve the issue then, and could not have cared less that I've been a good customer for over 10 years!
    Yes, I did see that you called CS but the way your original post read was that you did that AFTER you had placed your order. Considering your original post stated that the CS rep couldn't CANCEL your order again indicates you had already placed the order BEFORE contacting CS. Your post said you "Go to checkout and notice that my option for paying no longer includes the Dover Visa. Whatever, put in my payment information, and notice there's no adjustment for shipping."

Duh I'm sorry but I still stand by the fact that after you realized you couldn't pay with your current Dover Visa and there was no adjustment for shipping that you didn't stop placing the order and contact Dover then and there. I still maintain that had you done that you might not be in the predicament that you are with having to call again and cancel the order.

Yes, I am sorry the CS you spoke with was not more helpful and I'd be a bit perturbed as well, no doubt about that but we all learn through our mistakes. Hopefully, should a similar situation arise you will stop and make the appropriate contacts before proceeding.

Good luck and I hope you find a company with which you have better dealings Personally, if you had dealt with them for 10 yrs and not had a problem before, I'd give them another chance. But I wouldn't treat it like a baseball game and give them 3 strikes. Two strikes is enough.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Trevelyan96, sorry to hear you had problems but maybe some of it might just have been your fault as well. When you first noticed your option for paying was NOT your Dover Visa, you should have contacted them immediately to find out why rather than continue on with the order. I'm presuming you ARE talking about doing an on line order.

Duh I'm sorry but I still stand by the fact that after you realized you couldn't pay with your current Dover Visa and there was no adjustment for shipping that you didn't stop placing the order and contact Dover then and there. I still maintain that had you done that you might not be in the predicament that you are with having to call again and cancel the order.
    Sorry, I think this is a little silly. It's not the fault of the consumer if they've always placed orders this way in the past and the card company fails to inform them of any changes to their policies.

And further, that doesn't excuse any poor customer service.

I've generally had pretty good luck with Dover, that being said.
    ---
    They're small hearts.