The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage girth?

I need a dressage girth that is really comfortable for my horse. Advice?

I have one of each of these, and my horses have never complained. I like the neoprene one best because I just stick it under the faucet when I'm done and it's instantly clean.

I have had one of the contoured County girths but was unimpressed and sold it. Depends on you and your horse like.

If your horse tends to get girth sores, the string girths seem to be gentlest.

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/D...RTH/LCFLDG.htm

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/DRESSGIRTH/CESDG.htm

Soft Touch

I just ordered a Passier Elastic Girth. I currently use a shaped neoprene girth that has a gel pocket under the belly, but it is starting to get worn.

String girths -I remember them being a free gift with a western saddle, LOL. I wonder why they made a comeback? It must be a gentle girth, I may be buying one in the future. I would love to see if there's any people out there who use a string girth with their $3-4k saddles.

Anyhoo, I found a girth in 1986 and I have only bought that type since then. It's tough nylon on one side, and wool felt against the horse. Only problem is that I'm looking for one now, and I can't find another one anywhere. That's my recommendation, but I can't seem to find one.

Quote Originally Posted by princessfluffybritches View Post
    String girths -I remember them being a free gift with a western saddle, LOL. I wonder why they made a comeback? It must be a gentle girth, I may be buying one in the future. I would love to see if there's any people out there who use a string girth with their $3-4k saddles.
    Catherine Haddad swears by them in one of her video blogs.

I have a Prestige anatomic girth for my guy. I agonized over girth choices! My friend had a nice custom one which didn't work on her horse which my horse loved, but it was slightly too long and the style wasn't made any more. I basically looked for the same shape with companies reputed to have decent quality leather. My horse was very girthy, and it was attributed to his racetrack breaking. This girth seems to have gotten him over that, so it must be comfortable!

How does the girth hit your horse? If it's near the elbows (has to do with whither/shoulder conformation) you may want to get a contoured girth - I know a lot of people who have eliminated worries about rubs with them.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I have the Mattes Shaped Sheepskin Dressage Girth for my mare and I really love it. She rubs very easily and I don't have any problems with this one. I also really like how it covers the buckles:

Mattes Sheepskin Girth

I do, I use one with my Lauriches. Regular string is junk, 100% mohair (not a blend) is the key.

I use this endurance girth for my dressage. Love it. Leather backer against the horse (no neo).

Though there are plenty of string girths to go around, I prefer this endurance model because of the wide roper style, very stabilizing on my round boy.

http://www.mossrockendurance.com/vie...=9&prod_ID=353
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

Wow - thanks for all of the advice. It looks like a 20" is a bit hard to find. My saddle is a treeless endurance, and the billets are so long that my 22" is on the last hole on both sides. She doesn't hate the one we have, but I think the buckles bother her a bit.

I've recommended these anatomical girths before:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Delfina-Anatomic...4#ht_713wt_913
    I am really happy with mine, its the only one that doesn't gall my horse. The leather is wonderfully soft, a great price and comparable to the much more expensive County Logic or Prestige anatomical girths.

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    I do, I use one with my Lauriches. Regular string is junk, 100% mohair (not a blend) is the key.

I use this endurance girth for my dressage. Love it. Leather backer against the horse (no neo).

Though there are plenty of string girths to go around, I prefer this endurance model because of the wide roper style, very stabilizing on my round boy.

http://www.mossrockendurance.com/vie...=9&prod_ID=353
    This one looks real good, but I need about a 50 inch girth for my short billets. Will that girth be okay in that length?

Has anyone used the Le Tixerant girth? I'm curious to try one, but it's a lot of money if it's not going to be that much better than my current Otto Schumacher contoured girth.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    It looks like a 20" is a bit hard to find. My saddle is a treeless endurance, and the billets are so long that my 22" is on the last hole on both sides.
    Get one of these: http://www.horse.com/item/super-leather-punch/BPN02/

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

My horse LOVES the Thorowgood (sp?) short girth. Even in really hot weather it makes him happy. I love that it's easy to clean and didn't break my piggy bank to buy it.
    Last edited by Velvet; Oct. 3, 2010 at 02:45 PM.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

This one looks real good, but I need about a 50 inch girth for my short billets. Will that girth be okay in that length?
    I would think that buckle with the guard would be awfully bulky. I did like this girth well enough that I had a custom one made by moss rock, a 48", fully mohair with the roper center, and then narrow sides with splits for buckles. And no buckle guards. Its quite nice though slightly more bulky under the flap than your run of the mill elastic end long girth.

I really am sold on mohair and the wide diamond "roper" style, it helps stability so much.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    I would think that buckle with the guard would be awfully bulky. I did like this girth well enough that I had a custom one made by moss rock, a 48", fully mohair with the roper center, and then narrow sides with splits for buckles. And no buckle guards. Its quite nice though slightly more bulky under the flap than your run of the mill elastic end long girth.

I really am sold on mohair and the wide diamond "roper" style, it helps stability so much.
    You have a good point there about bulkiness, I hadn't thought about that.

Quote Originally Posted by SBrentnall View Post
    Has anyone used the Le Tixerant girth? I'm curious to try one, but it's a lot of money if it's not going to be that much better than my current Otto Schumacher contoured girth.
    Love this girth and so does Rosie my mare. Worth the $$$.