The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bit Legality

I just started riding my horse under English tack in a Mylar comfort snaffle and she's going really well in it for jumping and dressage. I've used this bit as her regular western bit so it's not new to her. This bit has the little bit of copper inlays in the mouth and my trainer told me yesterday that is was illegal for dressage. Is copper not legal? What if I rode in a copper snaffle? I would really hate to change bits now that I found one she's comfortable with. Is he correct? Thanks.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Two things. Thing one: mixed metal bits are okay for eventing dressage. They have been for awhile now. (My trainer had to be informed of this last week, so your trainer isn't waaaay out there
    Thing two: The Myler Comfort Snaffle is legal. It doesn't matter that the mouth pieces are "bent". You're fine in your bit!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

However, if your bit has "hangers" whether or not you use them, that is illegal

I depends on WHICH Myler Comfort Snaffle it is.

Copper inserts are OK as long as they are completely smooth. If they are ridges, they are not OK.

Being "bent" is OK, as long as the bend has no resmblance to a port.

There may also be some restrictions on the size of the "rotating piece" in the middle.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

This is a smooth bit, curved but no resemblance of a port, no ridges for the copper and no bit hangers or hooks or whatever they are called. So it looks like I'm okay. Unless the bit checker actually cranked the horse's mouth open to look, I don't know how they'd be able to judge the size of the rotating center piece. Most bit checkers I've seen, just gently part the lips at the corner and take a quick peek.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I think I use the same bit, never had an issue... but to be safe you could take the bit and ask an official at an event now (even if you are not showing there) that way if there is a problem you can fix it before you go to compete.
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Myler MB 01 and MB 02 mouthpieces are legal.

http://www.usef.org/documents/FormsP...entBooklet.pdf

Both of your concerns are addressed in the photos at the end of this book. You're fine.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    http://www.usef.org/documents/FormsP...entBooklet.pdf

Both of your concerns are addressed in the photos at the end of this book. You're fine.
    But that is the DRESSAGE Equipment booklet. There is at least one bit in there that is legal for straight dressage but not, as I understand it, for Eventing Dressage.

I wish Eventing would put out their own equipment booklet.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    But that is the DRESSAGE Equipment booklet. There is at least one bit in there that is legal for straight dressage but not, as I understand it, for Eventing Dressage.

I wish Eventing would put out their own equipment booklet.
    Me too. I spent about a hour reading and re-reading the rules for eventing and cross checking their bits with the USEF guide bits when tryng to figure out if my mare's bit was legal. In this case though, the USEF dressage guide does apply to the OP's bit.

USEA rulebook shows the Myler mouthpiece at #15 in the appendix on pg 68.

http://useventing.com/resources/file...r_Eventing.pdf
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    Unless the bit checker actually cranked the horse's mouth open to look, I don't know how they'd be able to judge the size of the rotating center piece. Most bit checkers I've seen, just gently part the lips at the corner and take a quick peek.
    There's a reason bit checkers should be wearing fresh disposable gloves for each horse checked.

I've been taught to slide a quiet finger along the bit to feel to the middle of the bit, if the horse will permit. If the rider or the horse are uncomfortable with that, the checker can also ask for the bit to be dropped (i.e. take the bridle off and visually check).
    <<Reste sur le cheval.>>