The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help! Flea infestation at barn won't leave corgis alone!

I hope Off Course is the right place for this....

I have my dogs on monthly flea preventative but it doesn't seem to be helping because the barn is infested with fleas thanks to the barn cats (barn manager doesn't treat them).

I treated both corgis with topical treatment last week after their flea baths. Took a 1 week break from the barn. I took them out last night and they came home with about 5 fleas a piece! (that I could find).

I used to have my dogs on Advantage, but my vet recommended some other topical flea treatment ( I don't think it is working- brand escapes me now). Meanwhile my cat on Advantage seems to be flea free.

I am going to switch back to Advantage. My question to y'all is Have you all tried those Shoo! Tags from Smartpak? Do they work? Besides not taking the corgis to the barn (I can't do that, they would go crazy) anything else I can do to keep them flea free?
    Last edited by BetterOffRed; Sep. 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM.

iwould getnythign possible and maybe try a horse fly spray that repels and kills anything like that. Spray them before they get out of the car. Lastly, i would buy some flea collars and such for the barn cats....even if the barn manager won't treat them. They're cheap. Fleas can carry disease and if the cats are that infested with them....its not healthy for the cats and can actually be considered if its that bad

Last year I had the worst flea infestation ever, despite using topical flea preventative. My vet put all my dogs on Comfortis (oral flea treatment) and I haven't seen a flea since. BUT I still wouldn't take them to place with a known flea infestation. That's just asking for it.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Can you help the barn cats. That would be the most humane and effective thing to do. Maybe take up a collection?

IMO the money spent on the extra preventatives and such could be used with the poor cats.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Default You can't teach an old cowboy new tricks...

I will purchase flea collars for the barn cats, but can't guarantee that they will be used. The barn manager is an old cowboy that doesn't like my newfangled ways. By his own admittance, he's been shot at, run over and bucked off enough times and has his own way of running things at the barn.

My corgis were both rescues. My male corgi came to me infested with fleas, ticks, worms and heart worms. I've spent a lot of time, money and heartache getting them healthy and well socialized. Needless to say, their health is of the utmost importance to me so they will get the extra preventative.

Spraying them down with flea spray before going to the barn is a great idea.

I think you should check with your vet before you double up on flea products.

I'm having a terrible time with fleas this year. I use Frontline Plus and it works. Problem is that they pick up fleas everywhere I take them...seems that it's just a bad year. With products like Frontline and Advantage, the flea has to bite the dog to get poisoned and die? That one bite can set some dogs into a frenzy, unfortunately.

Check for flea dirt...if it's on the dog, your flea treatment product is not working.

thx Go Fish. I am checking with my vet before I do anything.

Good point about the flea dirt...I haven't found any flea dirt, just fleas.

We have this problem with the barn cats. Let one escape treatment, and they all get reinfected. Frontline has not proven to be a good deterrent in this case. My concern here is that you will also need to bomb your own home if this is happening to your dogs, as they can be getting reinfected there as well. You probably love having your dogs with you at the barn, and I don't blame you, but until the cat situation gets resolved you might want to consider keeping them out of that area completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    With products like Frontline and Advantage, the flea has to bite the dog to get poisoned and die?
    Nope. Fleas do not have to bite with Frontline and Advantage. A dog I bred has a severe flea allergy and needs to have his Frontline reapplied every 3 weeks, and he stays bite free even at the beach and dog parks.

Frontline has stopped working on fleas in many areas, around here the vets are now suggesting K9 Advantix (smartpak sells it too). Me, I wouldn't take the dogs to the barn if you are certain that is where they are getting infested. Is there some reason why they have to go there? most people hate it when other people bring their dogs out to the barn anyway. Find some other way to exercise and entertain the dogs.

Default Vet talked me off the ledge

Vet recommended I treat the barn cats a time or two with Advantage until we get a good enough freeze.

She also said that the Pro Meris is probably working.

The reason I take my dogs to the barn is because I work 40+ hours a week, excluding commute and go to the barn up to 4 times a week and I am single. They are walked and exercised regularly outside of the barn. If they didn't go with me, they would be alone too much. They are very well behaved at the barn and are kennelled so that they are out of other people's way. We are at a small private barn and people with dogs have permission from barn owner and barn manager to take their dogs to the barn.

the only thing I have had any luck with is Comfortis. I just give it when they actually have a flea or two. My indoor/outdoor cats do have some fleas, but the dogs don't seem to pick them up. With 5 cats though, keeping them all on something all the time is just not practical, and the cats don't seem to care about the fleas they do have. The little dogs... they go insane.

I too have a Corgi with a flea problem. I've never seen it this bad. She's on Frontline plus, AND an oral for HW and fleas, etc. She's riddled with bites. Now they are on my old Springer who's never had a flea problem till now. I don't know if I can get rid of them on him as easily, I may need to shave. But I'm bringing the fly spray home from the barn and putting it on my dogs now before they go outside. It's just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post
    Vet recommended I treat the barn cats a time or two with Advantage until we get a good enough freeze.

She also said that the Pro Meris is probably working.

The reason I take my dogs to the barn is because I work 40+ hours a week, excluding commute and go to the barn up to 4 times a week and I am single. They are walked and exercised regularly outside of the barn. If they didn't go with me, they would be alone too much. They are very well behaved at the barn and are kennelled so that they are out of other people's way. We are at a small private barn and people with dogs have permission from barn owner and barn manager to take their dogs to the barn.

I think its great you take your dogs to the barn! I boarded for almost a decade at a barn where every boarder was allowed to bring one dog-so long as it wasnt tied in the aisle, chased horses, dug, etc. One well behaved dog. We all rode and had a pack of dogs that went out on the trails, etc. and it worked just fine. As a horse person, being able to bring my dog can mean the difference between boarding at Barn A or B.

However, if they keep getting infected...I would suck it up and treat the cats, as you are doing, and wait for the infestation to taper off b/4 bringing the dogs back out. There is a dog park near my parent's house that is INFESTED. I don't take my dogs there anymore b/c they always bring fleas home.

My daughter's mini dachshund is very allergic to fleas. The Comfortis works great for him. I think you can use the Comfortis in conjunction with Advantix or Frontline for double protection and protection against ticks.

Default thx for all the great ideas....

Vet also recommended Comfortis if I didn't think the Pro Meris was working.

You can use comfortis in combo with topical. But nothing is really going to STOP fleas from getting on the dogs, both comfortis and the topical work by killing the fleas after biting the dog. So until you can get the barn flea free you're dogs will keep picking them up out there. I would suggest buying and treating the barn cats yourself for a bit (with something like frontline or advantage or promeris). Do not buy cheap topical flea stuff for the barn cats.. as there are many bad side effects I've heard about from them.

I feel for you. I just went through this when our cat returned..irony here...from getting a haircut at the groomer. He came home loaded with fleas which he promptly shared with our other cats. I knew if I didn't jump on it quickly, our old house would become a flea palace. It was horrible.

I got some great advice here on O/T day. We had already spent a small fortune on Frontline which was useless. On the advice of posters here on COTH, we bought Advantage. I treated the cats and moved all the animals of the house and bombed it with flea bomb from our local Tru Value Hardware store.

It worked like a charm, but until the barn owner takes some responsibility for hercats, your dogs will simply become exposed to the fleas every time they go to the barn with you. Can you speak to the barn owner and shame her into doing the right thing for those poor cats? It's cruel to let them suffer with flea infestation and it is inconsiderate to the rest of you. Fleas also carry disease so she should get with the program before an animal gets sick. Good luck.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    Last year I had the worst flea infestation ever, despite using topical flea preventative. My vet put all my dogs on Comfortis (oral flea treatment) and I haven't seen a flea since. BUT I still wouldn't take them to place with a known flea infestation. That's just asking for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    the only thing I have had any luck with is Comfortis. I just give it when they actually have a flea or two. My indoor/outdoor cats do have some fleas, but the dogs don't seem to pick them up. With 5 cats though, keeping them all on something all the time is just not practical, and the cats don't seem to care about the fleas they do have. The little dogs... they go insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    My daughter's mini dachshund is very allergic to fleas. The Comfortis works great for him. I think you can use the Comfortis in conjunction with Advantix or Frontline for double protection and protection against ticks.
    All of the topicals failed for me the last two years. Comfortis is the answer.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Moved to Around the Farm, where your thread's a better fit.

Good luck waging war!
    Mod 1