The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What vices do your human children have?

DH told me the other day that DD is starting to crib, and sure enough she's started chewing on her crib. She also weaves when waiting to be picked out of her crib.

What vices do your kids have.

Any ideas for a humane cribbing strap for a 9mo old?

My son is a stall kicker. When he wants out of his crip he bangs on the bars. He's also horrible for the farrier, takes 2 people to clip his nails! However he's an easy keeper who bathes and travels well.

Mine clips, loads, stands well to be shod but is a very difficult keeper. Definitely NOT an airfern. We have tried almost constant grazing but keeping weight on is difficult.

Mine is a classic TB mare. Refined, lean, catty and powerful. She comes with the typical TB mare vices - opinionated, picky eater, alpha mare on the playground. She tempers it, just like a good mare does, by being sweet, stunningly beautiful and maternally kind. As my mother in law says, cats don't make dogs... I'm a TB mare too, but of the redheaded variety. Baby girl is a bay. Thank goodness, we don't need two chestnut mares in the same paddock!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Oh they fight horribly in turnout.
    Yet when I try solitary turnout, they get into each other's paddocks.

Other than that, they are good at the trainer's, easy keepers, and haul well.

My nephew has a completely non-equine vice: shrieks a LOT. My mare has lately been calling her boyfriend when standing next to my EAR, which I don't love. But I don't know what to call this vice, other than annoying.

Nephew is a picky eater, always trying to break out of his stall (the front door has a new safety latch about 6' off the ground), but is starting to take to more of his training better. Will be big and athletic, but definitely a hand full. Will definitely need a job.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

LOL funny thread...

I've got two opposites. One high maintenance, opinionated, willful type. Everything is hard and fast as long as it is her idea. Either giggling non stop or screaming her head off. Mare-ish and high strung. Type A all the way. Goes through clothes and shoes like no tomorrow. Exotic, athletic, sensitive skin, sensitive hair, I spend more on her products than I do my own. (And she's 4!) She'd be the kind of horse you admire but not the kind you want to ride. She'd be a pro ride all the way!! Arabian mare maybe?

The other is mellow, laid back, and easy to please. Chubby, sweet and always smiling. In your pocket type. His only vice is that he likes to eat a lot and prefers company to being alone. Perfect ammie horse. Though I think he might turn into a bit of a bruiser once he is mobile. Think cute lil Haflinger...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Default not biologically mine

ok so these two aren't biologically mine but i nanny them so maybe i'm the nanny mare and the trainer?

TWINS!
    one mare: very sweet but sensitive, not spooky but very "looky" at new situations, mare-ish at times and incredibly adept at getting out of her pasture (bouncer/crib/seat) and will resort to violence if restrained against her will. started cribbing recently but only due to teething. prone to colic and a hard keeper. get lots of supplements. loves to roll. not a kicker. very vocal when separated from herdmates.

one gelding:easy keeper! total pocket pony with no awareness of personal space, not spooky but doesn't like loud noises, very calm on the ground but will be forward under saddle as he's always on the move, def. a bucker and prefers to get around by bucking while lying on his back and kicking his feet- very interesting to watch. stall kicker to the extreme- is it wrong to consider hobbles for a six month old?
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Quote Originally Posted by skip916 View Post
    ok so these two aren't biologically mine but i nanny them so maybe i'm the nanny mare and the trainer?

TWINS!
    one mare: very sweet but sensitive, not spooky but very "looky" at new situations, mare-ish at times and incredibly adept at getting out of her pasture (bouncer/crib/seat) and will resort to violence if restrained against her will. started cribbing recently but only due to teething. prone to colic and a hard keeper. get lots of supplements. loves to roll. not a kicker. very vocal when separated from herdmates.

one gelding:easy keeper! total pocket pony with no awareness of personal space, not spooky but doesn't like loud noises, very calm on the ground but will be forward under saddle as he's always on the move, def. a bucker and prefers to get around by bucking while lying on his back and kicking his feet- very interesting to watch. stall kicker to the extreme- is it wrong to consider hobbles for a six month old?
    Gelding?! Whoa...

I have one stallion and one colt. Colt's going through the testing stage - will need a few sweaty blankets and more round pen work before I'll consider him completely broke. Not a biter or a kicker, though - there's that. Bucks a bit, though, but he's easy to straighten out.

The stallion finished high school. Airs above ground need polishing, but he's finished and really ready to go.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I have one she's a flaxen chestnut sensitive and very marish. Middle of the herd for turn out though young stallions will meet her hooves if get too pushy. She's definitely Arab with high intelligence, stubbornness, and inability to decide how to deal with something new. Kicks like fire for the farrier and vet though neat in appearance at all times. She's currently going through a growth spurt though they never seem to affect her looks. Good to feed and not picky though keeping weight on her is a daily challenge. Convinced she is the supermodel of the herd and will pose if cameras are pointed at her.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Mine is mouthy and disrespectful. Does Linda Parelli do kids?

Mine is not forward going particularly if there is a television on anywhere in his immediate vicinity. Generally he is lazy and wishes to evade work, but he does not buck or crow hop when asked to perform. He does mutter -- it could possibly be a sign of roaring since it does get louder when he has to speed up.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

DD is feisty, somewhat herdbound. Has been known to squeal at the alpha mare (me) from time to time. Is also quite sensitive, though, and will shut down if she thinks that the trainers have gotten too harsh with her (as in raising voices at all). Hauls well, but does go through shoes way too regularly. Normally a pretty easy keeper, but will definitely get upset when she is hungry. Recently discovered males, which worries me.

BTW - Wireweiners - do you have weimaraners or some cross? I have one of those, too!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Our son requires A LOT of turnout (he's 5) and refuses to have his mane shortened, especially not with clippers. He needs a lot of urging to do most commands, and I can frequently be heard clucking at him. He is athletic, though, and has - on occasion - free jumped the couch. Great bascule and seems to have a long stride.

Our daughter just turned 2 (I have papers to prove it). She hasn't yet learned to stand while being groomed, yet, but she does seem to retain her training otherwise. She's less active than her full brother (same stallion and dam) but seems to exhibit the same amount of presence. She's tall for a filly and should grow into her legs eventually.

My redheaded filly was quite a handful at weaning time(first day of Kindergarten). She whinnied for me for almost a week, refused to eat, and tried to kick the grooms. The other weanlings in the group seemed to have no problem and settled in very nicely. Being the broodmare that I am-she is my 4th foal (and last), I thought she'd be more independent. I guess the redheaded theory is true.

Hahahaaaa! Great thread!
    Mine are both just about finished and ready to go.
    The stallion is laid back, easy going, stands perfectly for the clippers, self-loads, travels well and is extremely respectful. An easy keeper, fit and strong. Tends to get a little distracted by outside mares though.
    The mare is headstrong, opinionated, and feisty. Tends to be looky. Does not load as well as her brother, when trying to get her to load for an event, she usually fusses and gets distracted and makes us late. Once loaded, she is antsy, busy and anxious to be unloaded. Settles in well once we have arrived. An air fern, likes to graze all day long. Very athletic and focused when in regular work. And yes, she gets very distracted by outside stallions...
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

LOVE This thread! Though DD was NOT impressed with her description and wishes to tell everyone she does not kick the farrier just the vet and that she loads and trailers much nicer than her much younger 1/2 sister. I reminded her the 1/2 sister is not weaned yet and therefore no determinations can be made of character or temperament until then.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

My 8 yr old keeps a messy stall, is a picky eater and likes to buck (authority).

Requires constant reminders of the parameters of acceptable behaviour. High energy level, requires a great deal of exercise.

However, he is kind to all, human and animal and doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Is a sensitive soul under the tough guy demeanour and will still snuggle with the alpha mare if he is sure no one else can see
    "Because it's 2015"

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post

Any ideas for a humane cribbing strap for a 9mo old?
    Have you tried electric perimeter wire or red hot pepper?

My two year old is an OTTB, very energetic and requires all day turnout.