The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My herds are based on feeding needs (older guys are getting more) and age.
    I find a youngster does better with buddies closer to his age who'll play. My 3 y/o got chased for 2 days when he tried to play with my 2 middle aged sport horses.

He's having a blast with a 6 y/o tb cross.

I had my bitchy mare with 2 geldings. Never thought that would work! But didn't have a choice last summer and threw them in together. They got along better than any other group I have.

I like 3 or more. That way you can take one out and no-one's left alone to fret.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

Little spin-off, maybe worth its own thread: how have you all fared with putting weanlings together in mixed groups? I'm going to have a weanling colt and filly here together this winter, I think, and am wondering how the two will likely get along. The colt is a month younger and the filly is a big, tough chick, so I'm hoping they'll be a good match.
    Click here before you buy.

Back when I was a kid, we had a 16.1 TB mare off the track, a 13.1 welsh mare, a 15.3 QH gelding, a 13.3 paint pony gelding, a standard donkey gelding and some goats. That's about as mixed as you can get and everyone got along fine. They all established a pecking order. They just had to work it out.

Guess the leader? The welsh pony mare, of course. She ran that herd like nobody's business.

I didn't even know that some people separate their horses by gender until I started reading this forum a couple of years ago. My herd has always been mixed...unless you have an unusually agressive horse they will usually sort out the pecking order and be fine. Since they have been visiting already they will probably do fine if you mixed them up. I would start by putting the filly in with one of the geldings and see how that goes before you introduce the other. .
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I have three geldings with one mare. Works out just fine. One gelding 'owns' the mare but they all exist quite peacefully.

Half mares and half gelding ranging from 16.2 to 12.2 and they can all be in together or in any combination even in a corral.
    They choose their close friends, but aren't very committed to that even.
    I don't take quite as hard a line as Thomas, but having a horse fit in with the rest is of primary importance to me -

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Little spin-off, maybe worth its own thread: how have you all fared with putting weanlings together in mixed groups?
    No problem. It's what I do. Indeed I'd say they're a heck of a lot easier than adults.

*sigh* Thomas, every time you post pictures I just DROOL. Might be the windiest place on earth, but is also heart-stoppingly GORGEOUS.
    I'm biased of course but I also think it's unspoilt, wild and beautiful. But by gosh it's cold and windy. We had a frost this morning and the temperature crept up to a high of 7 degrees C. (44 fahrenheit).

Today looking distinctly foreboding and wintry

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...s/DSCF0006.jpg

Foreboding of gorgeousness to come. May it forever be just that way; nice to know there are still such places on the planet.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Start by turning her out with just one gelding. Til they are both relaxed

Then turn her out with just the other gelding.

Then finally all three together.
    I'd try that first, too.

Little spin-off, maybe worth its own thread: how have you all fared with putting weanlings together in mixed groups? I'm going to have a weanling colt and filly here together this winter, I think, and am wondering how the two will likely get along. The colt is a month younger and the filly is a big, tough chick, so I'm hoping they'll be a good match.
    Perfect! Big, tough chicks are good for colts!

That sounds like a match made in heaven No, but seriously--the filly's always tend to put the little boys in their place

I have one mare out with 6 geldings. She hangs out most with the oldest (28) gelding and has certain geldings she really does like but there is rarely any drama in the herd. She is five now but has been out with this herd since she was weaned.

We have 2 herds and the stallions are out by themselves. The mares are 1 herd and kept separate so they don't get close to horses that are out showing.

The mixed herd ranges from 14 years old to young ones. With our weanlings we keep them separate for about a month and then put them out in a pen next to the older ones. After a few months of that, we turn them out with the older guys during the day and then bring them back to their own pen at night. That way they get their own space and feed.

I was convinced that my gelding would kill my new pony filly. He has always hated anything little and female, so, well... I didn't think it would work. He wasn't with another gelding though so I'm not sure about those dynamics. Regardless, I kept them over the fenceline for probably a month maybe. They squealed, yelled, carried on, etc. I finally just opened the gate one day. They looked at each other and kept on grazing. She did try to play with him, but he's a grumpy oldster and didn't want anything to do with that.

5 months later they're best buds. She's keeping him young, and he's teaching her manners. I catch them grooming each other pretty much every day. The days I don't see it, the little palomino has a green back and the big paint has slobbery patches on his belly. For the longest time I was terrified he'd been nipping at his sides because he was colicky! Just a good pony groomin'! If he gets a little more aggressive or just scares her she still does the "baby face" mouth thing. They're too cute.

Thanks everyone!

I remember when I first got Barbie and posted about here on COTH someone was like "Meredith please don't put her out with your geldings, someone will get hurt"

Not that I let random people on the internet scare me but I guess it caught my attention. A couple of people agreed with her/his statement.

I'm looking at upgrading to a bigger farm but I really don't feel like dealing with separating pastures on top of everything else.

So beautiful!

Thanks for all your tips, always so helpful.

Adjusted some fencing so they couldn't run around the entire pasture and then let Barbie loose with the boys.

I will admit I chickened out and gave them a little Ace and a lotta hay. The boys didn't really care about her at all and she went from hay pile to hay pile trying to get their attention. She'd even go up to them, squeal and strike at them and they didn't pay her any attention.

Hopefully in a day or two.. depending on the weather... I'll let them out into the big field.

Thanks everyone!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Glad it has gone well. I have had 3 horses in my 9 acre pasture with free access to the barn for the past 6 years with very few incidents, and no injuries due to herd dynamics.

When I first moved here, I brought the two geldings home first, ages 1 year and a 17 years. Because the did live together in a small paddock before moving here, that was not an issue. A month later I brought home the 21 year old mare, and just turned her out with them, and it was a non-event. The only issue I had was that the colt liked to dribble water on her while she was trying to drink in the pasture, it would piss her off, but she never retaliated other than pinned ears, wrinkled up nose, and squealing at him.

Here is a picture of the 3 of them:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL214.../120658104.jpg

Now I have two mares and the old gelding, and it is even quieter (well, once a year during spring heat, the older mare looses her marbles and becomes obsessed with hanging out with the younger mare). The younger mare is the boss, but she is quiet about it, there is very, very rarely any kicking or snaky-heads going on, she just "gets in their space" and they get out of her way.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

*sigh* Thomas, every time you post pictures I just DROOL. Might be the windiest place on earth, but is also heart-stoppingly GORGEOUS.
    Naw, we are the windiest place in the world and have the producing wind turbine records to prove it.
    Now, green, we can't say we are ever for very green or very long.

I do think that he photo shopped that green in there, to make us, what else, green with envy.
    He does live right in the most beautiful green valley, does he.

Glad that the OP could find a way to introduce them.

After we sold out of the breeding horses, we had once several geldings, added a mare, that was still confined to the pens and a little trap.
    She came in heat and the geldings started fighting, one declared himself boss and would not let the others come to the pens to even drink and eat.
    Not the mare's fault, but we didn't keep her around.