The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Default How safe is the electric tape fencing?

I have a 4 y.o. OTTB. He and another OTTB (5 y.o.) will NOT leave each other alone and fight over the fence. My horse has already sliced his back leg up once with the wire that runs on the top board of the fence. It's been over a month and the hair still hasn't grown in and his leg looks ugly.

Last week, he came in with marks on three legs consistent with wire (thankfully this time it didn't break the skin). After walking the fence line, I found a whole section lying in the field. He'd clearly gotten caught up in it AGAIN and thankfully, he was able to yank the section out without it slicing him up.

That prompted a phone call to my BO asking if I could put him in the upper paddock which has no wire. She allowed me to do so and now is talking about the tape fencing. I look at that stuff and worry that it too can get caught around a horse's legs and cause some serious damage. Anyone have any injuries to share? I DO NOT want to gamble with my horse's welfare again.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Tape is much better than wire, it breaks.

Agree, better tape than wire IMHO.

The more surface area there is, the more it takes to do the same amount of damage. Unless, of course, you use low-tensile VERY hot wire, but then you have an easily downed fenceline if it comes to it (maybe good, maybe not, depends on the situation).

I've used Horseguard electric tape here for 6 1/2 years and HAVE had 2 tangles with it (same horse, he just HAS to roll next to it), and on the worse occasion, he did manage to really get it all wrapped around his leg and he ran After a dozen or so easily snapped insulators, the tape broke when it hit the metal tensioner. His leg did not break. His skin barely broke. It was more of a "rope burn" than anything, so it was swollen and a bit oozy for a week or two. But had that been HT, he'd have been 6' under most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
    Tape is much better than wire, it breaks.
    This. Love it. Good luck with your horse.

Altho tape is MUCH safer than wire, if your horse fights over the fence, perhaps you sould run a second fence inside of the first one so that they cannot make contact over the fence.

We have miles of Horse Guard Tape and have not had a fence injury since we started using it. It is wonderful. With any electric fence, you need to have good ground rods and a good fencer. Your geldings will fight over it once, probably. They may pull some of it down but once they get zapped they will respect it and I doubt they will fight over it again. It will only take you a few minutes to fix it and then your worries should be over .

We fence stallions in behind Horse Guard and they won't even try to reach over it to tease a mare. It instills RESPECT and is safe. We love it!

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    Altho tape is MUCH safer than wire, if your horse fights over the fence, perhaps you sould run a second fence inside of the first one so that they cannot make contact over the fence.
    Agreed. But it isn't my place.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Thanks for all the responses, all. I feel much better at the prospect of this stuff being in my horse's paddock.