The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tattoo Help

We just realized today that one of our horses has a lip tattoo. We were told he was an Appendix when we got him. Do QHs do lip tattoos? Would any gurus of the TB and QH tracks be able to do a lookup?

Our best guess in reading is T0986.
    He is a 20ish yr old gelding. Dark bay or brown; star, stripe,snip, left hind sock and right hind coronet.

Thank you in advance.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

T for a thoroughbred would make him 20, but you're missing a number. It's a letter followed by 5 numbers (only 4 #'s if he's older than 25....but then the letter T wouldn't be there so it really doesn't apply).

QH's have numbers & a letter afterwards, so I don't think that's what he is.

Could he be a standardbred? They have the letter with 4 #'s after... & T would be born in 1998 but that would make him too young than you think...

I assumed you were missing a final digit and entered what you had for the number. It gave me two possibilities. Does this sound like it could be him?

Irregular curved star open to right pointed at top, and connected tapering stripe, becoming line of white hairs at bottom of eye level, ending in center of face; line of white hairs beginning on bridge of nose, widening, becoming bordered flesh colored,and ending between nostrils; median cowlick above eye level. Left hind: ankle white, lower in front; dark spots on coronet. Right hind: coronet white; dark spots on coronet.

Which would make him:

Horse Name Bold American
    Tattoo T09868
    Year of Birth 1990
    Dam Name American Classic
    Color Dark Bay or Brown
    Sex Gelding

He is by Jihad (no, seriously, he's a 1977 stallion) and bred in New York. 8 races, all in 1993, managed one show finish, won about $1200.

The second option (which sounds like less of a match on the hinds) is:

Irregular diamond star and connected thin stripe, ending on bridge of nose; bordered flesh colored stripe beginning above right nostril, extending between nostrils, covering right nostril, ending to right on upper lip; bordered flesh colored patch toleft on upper lip; median cowlick at eye level. Left hind: half stocking. Right hind: half stocking.

Horse Name King Valentino
    Tattoo T09866
    Year of Birth 1990
    Dam Name Funs Valentine
    Color Bay
    Sex Horse

King Valentino is by Preking, bred in California, and shows no race record.

This is him to a T!!! Thank you! I was afraid I was missing a number...there's some mottling on his lip where the last digit would be. I love my TBs so much that they show up even when I think they're something else. Honest mistake, though - he's massive.
    Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I assumed you were missing a final digit and entered what you had for the number. It gave me two possibilities. Does this sound like it could be him?

Irregular curved star open to right pointed at top, and connected tapering stripe, becoming line of white hairs at bottom of eye level, ending in center of face; line of white hairs beginning on bridge of nose, widening, becoming bordered flesh colored,and ending between nostrils; median cowlick above eye level. Left hind: ankle white, lower in front; dark spots on coronet. Right hind: coronet white; dark spots on coronet.

Which would make him:

Horse Name Bold American
    Tattoo T09868
    Year of Birth 1990
    Dam Name American Classic
    Color Dark Bay or Brown
    Sex Gelding

He is by Jihad (no, seriously, he's a 1977 stallion) and bred in New York. 8 races, all in 1993, managed one show finish, won about $1200.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

NP. Jockey Club's site is free to join. And I think we had a thread recently where one horse's tattoo had a completely obscured number, while Lucky's new pasture mate has one so blurry you can barely tell it was ever there. (Lucky's, otoh, is the most legible I've ever seen.)

Now you can go to equibase (also free to register) and look up his race record, if you want to. I got the free pedigree off brisnet. Both can be entertaining reading.

And while it's a pain when all someone gives is "two white feet, bay" and the partial number, I love that the JC is so specific--it makes cases like yours so much easier to figure out! (Though Lucky could fake people out now--he has white spots on his legs that were NOT there when his papers were written.)

I'm going to register now. It's DH's horse and he wants to rub it in his sister's face that his OTTB actually won money.

I love how nauseatingly specific the description was. I really did not have much hope of finding info on a bay TB with a partial tattoo. Thanks again!

JC papers are TERRIFYINGLY specific. I can see why, but I'm glad I'm not the one filling them out!

Ped Query says he was a Bobby Frankel trained horse, though I can't see him as program trainer anywhere in his 8 starts. Its likely an assistant had him but that's another bragging right your DH could use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_J._Frankel

Quote Originally Posted by jengersnap View Post
    Ped Query says he was a Bobby Frankel trained horse, though I can't see him as program trainer anywhere in his 8 starts. Its likely an assistant had him but that's another bragging right your DH could use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_J._Frankel
    I had also noticed this and looked more closely. There is a 2000 mare with the same name. I checked her record and she did, in fact, run at Santa Anita under Bobby Frankel.

I guess that our guy's lackluster record allowed the name to come back into circulation.

But he can claim family ties with Secretariat...his great-great-great granddam was Somethingroyal. Hey, you take what you can get, right

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyQ View Post

I guess that our guy's lackluster record allowed the name to come back into circulation.
    The way it works is unless the horse won a particular race (usually a "Classic") or is otherwise EXTREMELY notable and is declared permanetly off-limits, the name reverts to circulation five years after either the last start or the last breeding reported. Obviously he hasn't been doing any breeding!

He's got some nice names--Damascus, inbred to Bold Ruler, Turn-to (a favorite name in sport pedigrees), War Admiral (within five generations, something less and less common as the years go by), Mahmoud (over the War Admiral mare), Eight Thirty.

LOL...Hemi dropped way off the radar if everyone thought he was a QH. Apparently after his racing career, he went on to be a foxhunter for 12-15 years. When the wear and tear became too much, he went to a lesson barn and did beginner lessons. He was the first love for a lot of horse-crazy girls.

Now he's DH's trail buddy. He's still got a good engine and, typical TB, loves to work. Arthritis just limits him. He's got a home here forever.