The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dang! Greenwood now a CT

It rained yesterday, and has been raining all day today. It was announced at 12n that cc is canceled. Since I was having someone else ride my horse, and he was showing HC, I scratched him. Hate to waste the money, but under the circumstances he doens't need the BN experience that much! And I'm sure Lynne appreciates not having to slop around in the mud.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Almost makes me glad that we had skipped Greenwood! Would feel bad for the ELEVEN other riders from our barn stuck out there in the wet!

Quote Originally Posted by Aelfleah Farm View Post
    Almost makes me glad that we had skipped Greenwood! Would feel bad for the ELEVEN other riders from our barn stuck out there in the wet!
    I love that grey mare your daughter rides. So cute
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWillow View Post
    I love that grey mare your daughter rides. So cute
    My niece. The four legged kids are all mine. The two legged kids are all my sister's!

But thanks! I'm pretty proud of that mare! (and the kid too!)

My niece. The four legged kids are all mine. The two legged kids are all my sister's!

But thanks! I'm pretty proud of that mare! (and the kid too!)
    Ha Ha! All our kids eat grass too.

I was going to come up and watch the bigger XC this morning, but alas, it was raining to hard.

So, if you scratch, you don't get your money back?

Quote Originally Posted by horsewhisperer View Post
    I was going to come up and watch the bigger XC this morning, but alas, it was raining to hard.

So, if you scratch, you don't get your money back?
    Nope, no money back. Speaking as one of the bigger XC rides, I was incredibly bummed to basically have ridden a very expensive dressage test. At least I got to do that though, dressage is my weakest phase and I need to improve my ride.

But as soon as I stepped onto the GW property this morning, I knew it wasn't going to happen. There was 2 inches of standing water there when I arrived, and it must have rained at least an additional two inches of water. I pulled my thrush prone horse out of his flooded corner stall and held him in the center aisle where he patiently ate hay off my lap for two hours while we waited for updates. There was no way he could have lived overnight in that stall, which was the primary reason we went home, although the secondary was that neither I nor my trainer felt it would be terribly safe to run around XC at Intermediate. My trainer told everyone to go home really. We came back to his stable 45 min east of Weatherford and discovered it had only rained half an inch....

Major, major bummer. I haven't run XC in five months, and now I have to wait another month to go to Holly Hill. So many tests and papers and classes and labs between now and then....

Does anyone know about the ATC's? I flew in from VA today to cover it for COTH.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow either way.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

I looked at the scores, and I think our entire team must have scratched... Haven't actually talked with anyone yet though but I didn't see any of them on the event scoreboard. We skipped GW for school reasons too.. My junior rider needed to show she was goign to keep up with school before getting ot go play and GW is too close to the start of the school year to show sufficient dedication to homework <g>
    Aelfleah Farm, Scurry, Texas
    BLUE STAR Arabians and
    Arabian-influenced Sportponies
    www.aelfleahfarm.com

ATC Dinner Sat night was not what we planned but everyone had a great time. Mud does not stop the Adult Rider fun! Lots of door prizes! We will use scores from SJ tomorrow as CT and go from there. A few teams are thin but the riders are willing!

I looked at the scores, and I think our entire team must have scratched... Haven't actually talked with anyone yet though but I didn't see any of them on the event scoreboard. We skipped GW for school reasons too.. My junior rider needed to show she was goign to keep up with school before getting ot go play and GW is too close to the start of the school year to show sufficient dedication to homework <g>
    Oh you and mom are mean!!!!! Just kidding. We met at Feather Creek. I'm Becky's friend, Lisa. Anyway I'd wondered why I didn't see your cute team entered.

When we walked the cc on Fri. I was worried because it was slick then. In 22 yrs of eventing this is only the 2nd time I've scratched due to weather.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

talk about a bummer!

This was the only HT I picked for my horse.
    He and I have not run together in 2.5 years! ugggh.

I stuck it out though. His stall was dry. I left him there to munch hay and went home for a few hours during the down pour. I was walking through the isle and the water was OVER MY ANKLES!

I actually didn't plan on continuing because he is off of 2 years rehab for two torn ligaments and I wasn't going to SJ him in slop.

GW moved the show jumping to the top of the hill and the footing was fine. The warm up was iffy but I just steered clear of the deep areas.

My entire team jumped around with 4 clean beautiful rounds and we won the Training ATC with a score of 95?!!

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...aboom/dork.jpg

I'm super duper happy and had the best SJ round of my life. (those hunter lesson are paying off!)

We were the Fantastic Four.
    Each of our horses reflected one of the comic book characters! Silly Bravo was afraid of his sash. He won the over all Training Division as well.
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...om/adults1.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...om/adults3.jpg

weee!
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...om/adults2.jpg
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Even though Greenwood had to be turned into a CT by Mother Nature deciding to dump I don't know how much water on us, it was a great show and lots of fun. I got to see lots of my friends I haven't seen in awhile and when we walked the course on Friday it looked great. My friend that I was grooming for was very excited about the Novice course because it has some great questions for her to do since she is fixing to move up to Training at the end of next month. But even though it didn't work out, Stadium turned out to be nice and she a one of her best rides and learned tons about her horse this weekend.

The ATC dinner on Saturday was a hoot! Lots of pizza and fun shared by all.

I cannot wait till Spanky and I are back out there next year. And Becky, I am on to be an Eventing Wench at Training level!!!!

Bobbi

I, for one, had a BLAST there this weekend. I was disappointed about xc getting cancelled, but with the rain and such the footing was no longer safe out there and there was going to be no way to get a big, heavy, non 4x4 ambulance on course - just not safe for the riders or horses. I know that the organizers were very disappointed as well.

They did a lot of work to reorganize the schedule and plow through the combined test. Thank you for that! I have been to events where the entire thing was cancelled in the same situation. At least I got to ride 2 out of 3, and for that, I am thankful.

The dressage arena footing by 3:00 Saturday wasn't great, but if you rode a 18m circle instead of 20 and avoided the bad spots, it wasn't awful nor unsafe IMHO. My mare has imperfect hocks, and I wouldn't have risked her for a BN test if I thought it was too bad.

The footing for the stadium warmup was bad in spots, but people kept moving the jumps around when the footing got too churned up. That helped. Additional jump moves in stadium where the footing got a little choppy helped as well. I did a very basic, limited warmup and then had a really nice double clear for 3rd in my little Beginner Novice division for my mare's first time out at USEA.

Mugging the awards presenter

And guess what?? I made GOOD use of my BN mare's studs this weekend! :wink: Sorry, just had to throw that one in!

Mostly, THANK YOU to the entire crew of organizers and volunteers at Greenwood. You did the very best you could with the situation that the weather presented, and you all kept an amazing attitude through it all. Kudos and thank you's ALL AROUND to each of you.
    Last edited by jackalini; Sep. 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add thanks
    There's always more to learn if you're willing.

Pictures are up at Jim Stoner's Photoreflect site.
    There's always more to learn if you're willing.

Imah photo whore. ; )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!