The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show Coats

Well, I am looking for a new show coat and was wondering what you guys recommend. I want something that will last a while, but I'll probably only use it a couple of times a year. I'd like to spend less than $300 and a little bit lower is better, but I don't want a cheap one that doesn't look nice. My only requirement is I like the ones with silver buttons, I'm not a huge fan of just the black or navy buttons. So what coats do you like?
    Last edited by Covergirl15; Sep. 25, 2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added more info :)

Look at good used coats. Buying used is a great way to get quality for less. I think the cheap new coats don't always hang the way they ought.

Get your measurements (bust, waist, hip, arm) if you shop online or through catalogs.

I have a Pikeur with silver buttons that I love, but it's warm (OK, HOT) to wear in the summer. I had a lighter weight coat made this spring, but it cost nearly $500.

Don't bypass a coat that fits well if the only drawback is buttons you don't like. You can replace the buttons yourself. Easy!

Ovation and RJ classics make lovely coats for under $200.

Thanks for the opinions so far, please keep them coming

Try ebay--you can get a ton of nice stuff for much lower than retail.

I just posted my slighted used Pikeur short coat on Craigs List $275. Strangely it does not have a size tag. I am 5'7" 135 lbs. (or shall I say I was when I bought it ) that is why it is for sale.

Buy a cheap coat that fits, go to Micheal's and buy some buttons and put them on yourself ;D No one has ever noticed the difference on mine!

Pikeur, Eurofit and Golden Dress are all high-end German-made coats with silver buttons. You can find them all used for under $300. I have one for sale in a 16R (I'd say that it fits a size US 12-14) that might interest you - PM me if that is the size you're looking for.

lthorse - Did you look inside the pocket underneath the Pikeur label on the inside of the jacket? I have a Pikeur jacket I need to sell and that's where I finally found the size tag.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

You can get a new Pikeur or Cavallo coat for under $200 (including shipping) from European websites. I went to my local tack store and tried them on for size, then ordered it online.

I bought a Pfiff on line that was on sale at the end of the season. Its dark navy with a hardly discernable small dark gray pin stipe, a little bit of velvet on the color and silver buttons. If I recall correctly, it was just a little over $100. I love the fit - it has some spandex in it so it gives through the shoulders which makes it more comfortable.

After spending yrs in jumpers, equitation and medals, I was bound and determined to have something a little more interesting than a plain black or plain navy coat. I have received a lot of complements on it too which is nice. Since Im new to dressage land, I wasnt sure how it would be received. But so far, everyone seems to like it.

I sent you a PM
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

Default Thanks Horsecents

Quote Originally Posted by horsecents View Post
    lthorse - Did you look inside the pocket underneath the Pikeur label on the inside of the jacket? I have a Pikeur jacket I need to sell and that's where I finally found the size tag.

There it was! Size 10 US. Thanks for your help.

E

Thank you for all of the pms and responses so far Any other opinions?

Anybody else?

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Did a Eurofit, never was right even though it was custom ordered/sized. Bought a Pikeur this year, and love it. Fits perfectly--right off the rack. It was less expensive than the Eurofit and fits better. Huh, wish I'd gone with it in the first place!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"