The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thinking about breeding

I have two two year olds I may breed next year. I haven't totally decided but want to start researching anyways. Any suggestions for a stallion for: a) Campione/Laval I/ Calvados II ? or b) Campione/Cassini/Caretino Stam 730B? The second filly is quite cold and the first is quite sensitive.
    Thanks for any suggestions out there

pics? What do u want to improve?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Default descriptors

The Campion/Laval I/Calvados II mare has a lot of blood. She is a squarish outline. Well set neck, strong croup, well balanced hind end. Humerus is high and long, though could be longer. She is a pleaser, tries very hard to do what she's asked. But she is quite spooky. Very flashy and expressive. Great flashymover.

The Campione/Cassini I/Caretino mare is colder. She is quite rectangular. Neck is set on a bit low. She has a smallish eye, boxy-ish (she actually kind of looks like a mule right now, not a pretty girl). She is VERY bold and confident, but pushy and a poor sense of personal space. She actually reminds of a pony-ish mind. She is powerful and correct through the chute. She is on the smaller side, not sure where she'll finish up though as she's growing like crazy. Her gaits are quite average, her canter being the best, more flowing. Her trot and walk and ho-hum-ish.
    Thanks again

What discipline are you breeding for? Do you have any pictures?

Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Just curious.. why breed them at 2 years old? I don't know what breed you have but I would think most young horses are still growing at that age.
    HiddenAcresFarm.Net
    Imported from Germany, Assembled in Michigan
    Rare damline of 7 direct generations of Elite/States Premium Mares.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiddenacresmi View Post
    Just curious.. why breed them at 2 years old? I don't know what breed you have but I would think most young horses are still growing at that age.
    I think she meant they are two year old now, so by the time she bred them next year they'd be 3?
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

Yeah, I am thinking of breeding them as 3yr olds. You can't breed a 2 yr old. I'm breeding for jump. Both of their dams had illustrious jump careers. The Laval I/Calvados II mare competed in the grand prix derbies prior to being imported as a broodmare. The Cassini I/Caretino mare did the 1.50m in Europe before being imported as a 1.40m amatuer mount.

Sorry for the late replies and no pictures. I'm currently volunteering overseas and so haven't been on here awhile.

For younger stallions I like Silverstone and Diarado but it's really hard to find objective discussions about either of these. All you read is positive. I also like the idea of breeding to a more established stallion as well. The possibilities are totally endless. Any brainstorming?

As for improvements
    Caprese (Campione/Laval I/Calvados II) could be more grounded. She is highly sensitive. I wouldn't want to add more blood (Maybe Darco blood?) Also, She has fantastic gaits so no concern there but i would like her offspring to be sharper and a little more bold through the chute. Her hand end is fantastic and she is also super willing.

Evie (Campione/Cassini I/Caretino) Could use a little more sensitivity and size. She also needs her gaits improved upon. She is excellent through the chute, very brave and correct. She could be a bit more willing in her training, she tends towards stubborness.