The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Scariest thing at a show

What is the most frightening thing you/your horse has had to deal with at a show?

II'll go first. This summer at the Penn state horse show, I was warming up for the children's. In the food area, one of those big tent things suddenly got caught by the wind. The bloody thing shot a good 15 feet straight up and HUNG there floating for a while, before crashing into the ground and rumbling as it was rolled around. My good pony danced in circles with his eyeballs popping out, but didn't bolt. Unfortunately, he refused to turn his back on that area, so we had to move me later in the division so he could chill.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

At the Camelot show up in Newhall this March, it was REALLY windy. So windy that the shade tent right by the side of the ring finally blew over, right into the middle of the ring while I and a bunch of other riders (in the 2' division!) stood in the line-up, facing it as it happened.

We were all on great horses, so no one really bolted....until....

As I was turning Max away from the flying tent while they got it out of the ring, while we were pointed towards two verticals, the wind gusted again and the jumps, complete with standards, flowers, and poles blew over about 6 feet in front of Max's nose! That was enough for him, and he spun around and took a quick canter to the other side of the ring. Not a dangerous bolt, but more of a "ok, I've had it, I'm saving us both!" move. I agreed, so I just steered him to the empty, safe side of the ring. He basically stopped on his own once we were "out of danger." The judge was cracking up, because it was so obvious Max was trying to save us
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

Ah, Camelot. Always fun goings on there. A deer wandered into the upper arena last weekend. Not scary, but...

Water trucks, an albino peacock, an elephant (yes, an elephant!), roller coasters, a farris wheel that came up over the tops of the trees at one end of the arena... especially nifty in the night class... a marching band. There was an 7.9 earthquake once while I was holding a horse in the line up at Jr. Grand Nationals.

Cows. Lots of them. Lots of mooing. It was apparently very traumatizing to the mare I was on.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Llamas!

Well, aside from the usual stuff (cows, llamas, chickens, tents blowing over, etc.) since all of that stuff seems to happen somewhat regularly (not that it's any less scary when it happens!)....

One of the main horseshow venues up here is adjacent to an airport. I was sitting on a green-as-grass horse (as in less than 60 days under saddle) when a plane came in right overhead....anyone who shows in Monroe knows what I'm talking about. Right overhead as in you feel like you could reach up and touch the landing gear! It scared the ^*%# out of my mare and she decided to get herself as close to the ground as possible and went into "crouching tiger" position Thank god she wasn't a bolter! But that kind of falls into the "everday" category too.

The scariest horseshow thing for any of my horses was at a show last summer. The show director decided to hire a helicopter to do some aerial photos of the show as horses were going. Talk about a clusterf*** of poor planning. He didn't realize they would bring a 5' long bright yellow remote controlled helicopter and then buzz the ring while horses were going. That stupid helicopter (piloted by someone who knew absolutely nothing about horses) buzzed my green OTTB as he walked into the ring for the miniprix causing him to full on bolt down the length of the arena. The controller then buzzed us again and my boy bolted again complete with some bucks. The whistle was blown for us to start and I started assuming they would not come close again. The helicopter buzzed us between fence one and two and my horse bolted (AGAIN ) and basically bolted through fence #2 before finally gathering his wits about him and pulling it back together (at this point they grounded the helicopter). Totally frustrating that it was in the miniprix with the $250 entry fee that I might as well have lit on fire (and sitting on my horse who hadn't touched a rail all week). I spoke to the show director about it and his comment was, "Those are just the breaks at a horseshow, I guess you should spook-proof your horses better." Um, excuse me? I'm still mad about it. But it was interesting that it's the only thing he's ever really spooked at in our 3 years of showing. Good to have a baseline of what it takes to undo him!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    One of the main horseshow venues up here is adjacent to an airport. I was sitting on a green-as-grass horse (as in less than 60 days under saddle) when a plane came in right overhead....anyone who shows in Monroe knows what I'm talking about. Right overhead as in you feel like you could reach up and touch the landing gear! It scared the ^*%# out of my mare and she decided to get herself as close to the ground as possible and went into "crouching tiger" position Thank god she wasn't a bolter! But that kind of falls into the "everday" category too.

!
    ah....FUNroe Yes, the airplanes can be a bit scary there. That show has it all....This year at their May show (maybe it was the April one...) They had the airplanes, the bulls next door for the fair, and the ever so loud racecars. One of my AO Hunters already was having trouble with the fishbowl ring, and the cows sent him over the top. On top of that, their trash cans are painted like cows, so the schooling arena with the trash cans lining the ring was extra fun for me Poor guy was convinced that there were cows hiding under each jump....so he was jumping everything like it was 5 feet . I wished I had a seatbelt......

My horse would see something like and elephant and go hide in his stall!

I haven't seen anything to scary with the big boy yet but with my pony we used to go to Ludwigs Corner and they always had those blow up bouncy tents and slides which, while they sway in a breeze and can be huge, also include small children running and screaming. Pony was not a fan.
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian

mini horses!!!!!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

The schooling ring......
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Unhappy

At the Virginia Horse Center, a young girl tied her horse to the sliding stall door~
    the horse somehow spooked, yanked the sliding door right off the track and took off with it. Broke her leg before she could be caught.
    Sad lesson learned that day, awful, awful.

I was schooling for the High Schoolings in the covered ring in KY (we all know how TINY that schooling ring is). There were WAY too many horses in the schooling ring to begin with (probably close to 15 in that dinky thing.)

Was heading to my last fence before showing...4ft square oxer, i was on take off and a girl walked on the back side of the jump. It was impossible to be able to stop, i was on take off as she was still behind the jump, I SCREAMED at her, everyone around screamed at her!! i did the hardest, biggest opening ein and landed JUST behind her horses butt.

It was the scariest jump of my life. I thought FOR SURE we were going to land on top of her and the horse. when I landed and stopped, she looked at me and said "Oh, was I in your way" NO YOU DUMB SH*T!, not at ALL! I did not almost kill you, your horse, me and my horse!

Lowered the jump to get one more good solid confidence building jump in before showing, come around and the SAME GIRL did it AGAIN!!! Thank God I was 2 or 3 out that time and had time to stop, I screamed at her, my trainer screamed at her, steward came over and made her leave the ring and had to go last in the class when no one else was in the ring because she was simply just not safe to be around.

The girl was insane. i could have easily seriously hurt her, her horse, me or my horse. and to do it a 2nd time?
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Quote Originally Posted by ktm2007 View Post
    That show has it all....This year at their May show (maybe it was the April one...) They had the airplanes, the bulls next door for the fair, and the ever so loud racecars.
    Ah yes, the April Jumper week had a carnival next door (not sure if it was there during the preceding hunter weeks?). That was a first! I saw more than one horse more than a little leery at the end of the covered schooling ring where you could just make out shapes and sounds of carnival rides and carnival goers. I had my gelding in the Grand Prix on Sat. night and the car races were going full force on one side of the showgrounds and people were wandering in from the carnival with balloons and sitting in the stands with them. That definitely proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that my boy's spook-less-ness is priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    Ah yes, the April Jumper week had a carnival next door (not sure if it was there during the preceding hunter weeks?). That was a first! I saw more than one horse more than a little leery at the end of the covered schooling ring where you could just make out shapes and sounds of carnival rides and carnival goers. I had my gelding in the Grand Prix on Sat. night and the car races were going full force on one side of the showgrounds and people were wandering in from the carnival with balloons and sitting in the stands with them. That definitely proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that my boy's spook-less-ness is priceless!
    Yes, I believe it was the April show. One year we were there (maybe for Octoberfest....years ago) They had a haunted house set up in the parking lot behind the schooling ring. That was fun too

I'm glad we didn't have the balloons wandering in to the stands. That FOR SURE would have sent my poor guy over the edge! He has enough trouble with the "bobbing heads" next to the ring when people are walking in there Needless to say we will be doing every monroe show possible to get over the spooky fishbowl ring!

Not to me, but to another rider from our barn...

It was really windy one year at a biggish local show held at a fairground, so there was no ring- just a grass field with tape around the outside to make a ring. The jumps weren't the most stable ever because the footing wasn't super smooth, and it was super windy. Inevitably, the jumps started falling. But the scary part was they were falling while she was in the ring jumping her course. We were so afraid one of the jumps was going to blow over while she was over it... thankfully that didn't happen, but it was still
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Those insidious RIBBONS!

My horse is terrified of ribbons-you can;t hand me one while I'm on his back as he goes in to panic mode.

Oh and the horse eating flowers they decorate the ring with. Seriously. Barking dogs, screaming children, cows, helicopters, golf carts, tents...he doesn't care. But ribbons are another story.

Once had a rainbow colored 8' beach umbrella go rolling across the arena while I was on course. My old steady eddie couldn't have cared any less. I was irritated that they blew a whistle and stopped us when it came to rest in the corner out of my way. He was a little hard to get moving and I had to trot circles in the middle of my course (jumpers) while I waited for the jump crew to fix this non-issue.

I also jumped over a cat in Oklahoma this summer. I suppose it was some feral cat that lived there... it was hiding under an oxer as I jumped it. Then as we land the cat decides it's not in a good place and goes running across the area.... and my horse was very worried indeed after that.

Quote Originally Posted by BoysNightOut View Post
    Cows. Lots of them. Lots of mooing. It was apparently very traumatizing to the mare I was on.
    my daughter's b/w paint pony was terrified of cows.
    especially b/w sort. to get by the ones that lived down our road. i used to ride beside so pony would just "bounce" off my horse when he spooked.

but funniest thing was first show she took him to, he saw a *GASP* b/w paint horse that looked JUST like him in the warmup ring. he threw a fit.

he was just fine with tents blowing across a ring, in fact he took ours from the back yard when the kids had it set up for a sleepover, and tore it up for "fun".

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    What is the most frightening thing you had to deal with at a show?
    Pony moms....