The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HELP joint pain from steel stirrups:(

As we all get older our joints start to hurt. Hips,Knees and ankles. What are the BEST stirrups to stop these joint pains. I compete in the hunters with plain steel stirrups but they offer no relief to above mentioned joints. Would love input or brands of stirrups to alleviate my pain

Unfortunately there aren't any stirrups that are going to help a whole lot. The flexi stirrups can help knees, but your ankles will pay the price. Outside of those, I don't think there are any stirrups that are designed to lower impact, though hopefully someone else will have a suggestion.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I noticed less knee and ankle pain when riding in the Royal Riders black synthetic irons with the wide tread. The wide tread bit may have had something to do with it. I keep meaning to buy a set of those stirrups because they really made a difference.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I noticed less knee and ankle pain when riding in the Royal Riders black synthetic irons with the wide tread. The wide tread bit may have had something to do with it. I keep meaning to buy a set of those stirrups because they really made a difference.
    I second the Royal Riders! I have a pair of the flex ones for my "uncooperative" knee and I love them! My pain is greatly reduced riding in the RR's versus my Fillis irons.

I'm in my late 40s, so, yeah, the joints can't tolerate as much abuse as they used to be able to.

I tried the Sprenger 4F stirrups, but felt like they made my base unstable and allowed my legs to get out in front of me.

I've been using the MDC Comfort stirrups for a couple of weeks now and, so far so good. They have a solid base like a plain old fillis iron, but they allow you to set the eye to a 45 degree or 90 degree offset, to take some of the torsion off of your hip, knee and ankle joints. I had been having some pain in my right hip and my left ankle, after riding, not during. I've got the right stirrup at 45 degrees and the left at 90 (after some trial and error) and both joints feel significantly better.

I've had great luck with Super Comfort pads. They provide some cushion for my knees and eliminated my ankle pain and foot numbness.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=6038
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Default Have you tried an off horse strengthening program?

While the stirrups may help some, barring disease and or arthritis, if you have multi-joint pain an exercise program is always part of a complete pain management program.

REgards,
    Medical Mike
    equestrian medical researcher
    www.equicision.com

I rode in steel irons for a number of years and purchased a pair of the herm sprenger jointed stirrups a few years back, as my ankles have always been problematic. I liked them up until this past winter when my knees would hurt so bad after every ride that I couldn't walk. I bought a pair of the wide track Royal Rider irons at Rolex in April (non jointed ones) and I couldn't be happier with these stirrups. I've had no joint pain since. I bought them directly from the importer and he told me between the wide track and the lightweight iron, the weight is distributed more evenly. Also, since the stirrup is pretty light, it moves with you instead of having to fight a heavy iron. They are somewhat expensive, but in my experience, well worth it. Not to mention, the cheese grater stirrup pads are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I bought these and it helped my pain go away, mind you mine was more muscle pain than anything else.

Has anyone tried these Royal Rider "knockoffs?"

http://www.doversaddlery.com/composi...X1-0742/cn/97/

I have some discomfort in the knee, ankle, and foot when I'm in the saddle for a long time, and the Sprenger 4F help me a lot.

Some people have said they feel less stable in jointed stirrups, but I have not noticed it being a problem, and I spend a fair amount of time in regular stirrups too since I ride in multiple saddles.

And yes, the softer comfort pads are a must. My feet go numb in metal cheese grater stirrup pads!

These are heavy and expensive but in my experience, COMPLETELY worth it. If I ride in someone's saddle with any other stirrups, I just ride without stirrups. These have spoiled me so much!
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/metalab...07017/cn/4721/

The Royal Riders worked for me! I LOVE these stirrups. My foot never comes out or feels loose. Stopped my ankle and knee pain. Best investment besides my Butet I ever made!

Thanks for your help. I'm going to go give them a try. Some of my friends have the jointed ones( herm sprenger) and they say they help but complain of hip pain from them. I will have to try the Royal Riders have heard only good stuff about them

Has anyone tried the MDC stirrups Beezie Madden is the spokesperson for????

Royal Rider flexibles. God-sent!
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

I might see if you can try some of your friends Herm Sprengers. I have really messed up ankles (I've broken them both, both have screws and plates in them, and I have arthritis). I was warned that they would be unstable and make my problems worse, but they have been a life saver. I have the Bow Balance and they work so well for me (I've never had any hip pain). I don't lock or brace my ankle anymore (a defense habit I got into) and I don't get the bad stiffness I was getting after I rode. Of course, that doesn't mean they will work for you because I know people that hate them! The Royal Riders I tried were nice, but they didn't help my ankle problems. So the Herm Sprengers, I think, are worth a try if you aren't happy with the Royal Riders.