The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Family horses, worth their weight even when stinkers

Family horse we've had for 18 years had to be put down due to Cushings. He was a character. would give kisses. Knew the sound of the vet's truck. and didn't like to jump anything over 2' or that he couldn't see through. He dropped me frequently as I learned to ride, though gently. But, the whole family was able to ride him.

He went from possible western horse (before we owned him-he liked to stare at cows) to hunter, to dressage, to husband-safe, to 'stallion' of the herd...ie pasture ornament. An appendix, he could always untie his rope, lead changed back to front, and actually won hunter classes--when he did jump--because of his cute peek. We'll miss him.

So, tell me about your family horses.

Wellll,
    Currently I am sporting 3 butterflies bandaids on my forehead as Pony decided to exit through the gate the same time I did. Round pen bars won.....
    However, it was my stupid, not hers. She never does that, but all it takes is once.
    But, Pony is the one who walks down to the mailbox with me, calls to me to come up the hill and waits for me, and likes to stare in windows/doors if she has the run of the place.
    What "little girl" (AARP age) could resist a black and white pinto pony?

My Lizzy would gently give pony rides to youngsters. Taught my dad to ride at the age of 73 and would still blast through the trails with me. She was a show hunter, fox hunter, mini event horse, driving horse and trail horse. She had an amazing sense of direction and always knew the shortest way home if you got lost out on the trails. She aunted my current riding horse. We trail broke practically every young horse in the neighborhood off her butt. Nothing phased her and she never kicked. Kids could walk under her and kittens could swing from her tail. She's been gone for 6 years and I still miss her.

I am sorry for your loss. Sounds like you had a mutually good time together over the years, that is lovely to hear about.

We don't have a family horse... I suppose Nanny somewhat qualifies but only LMEqT can ride her as she is a medium. But she is a family member... Heck, she's the Queen!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

So sorry for all your losses.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I am sorry for your loss, hugs.

We also lost not long ago our 30 year old.
    He had been around here for 20 years, was a ranch horse that took care of older and/or crippled riders fine, would go with kids just as fast as they needed.
    I don't remember anyone ever falling off him, he was smooth as glass trotting and had a nice little canter.
    Even the most beginner or uncoordinated rider would have to try hard to fall off, as it was near impossible.
    Our neighbors kids learned to ride and work cattle with their father on him, the girl won on him against older kids the all around and a huge silver belt buckle.
    Her aunt, an artist, painted his head on the side of the window in her room and it looked just like he was looking in on her thru that window.

He could open any gate not snapped.
    I think he listened for the clink, clink, snap and if you only clinked, didn't snap, he would wait until you moved off and sneak to the gate and open it in seconds and let himself out.

He was supremely polite, never walking on anyone and taking treats like a gentleman, so he got many treats.
    He was mister congeniality with horses or people, never met one he didn't like.
    He had been retired for the last four years, just because he seemed to like it that way, he was sound and looked like a teenager.
    He had a bout with cancer, was operated for it three times and treated with chemo and was in complete remission when his knee just gave up on him, he was in pain with little relief and we had to let him go.

I think they threw the pattern out when they made him, we have never found another one quite like him.

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Ive had those kind of horses my entire life......
    Im now retraining tb's and placing my retired track ponies......and have lots of those for sale.......
    Why?
    The heartbreak is that buyers take a look, question why they are more expensive than those with better conformations..
    and pass them by simply because they arent *fancy* enough...

Their loss ----
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680