The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Greenhawk sued by former employees

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...-investigation

There's definitely something off about this story. While I know of many horror stories about how the company treats their employees, I can't believe that they would fire staff for helping with a very high profile murder investigation. That being said, knowing a few people who have worked there personally - I'm a bit surprised that it has taken this long for them to be sued by an employee.

Not going to change how I shop - I have had bad experiences and I'd prefer to give my money to the smaller local shops... regardless of whatever actually happened in this situation. My bet would be that GH was going to fire these two regardless, and that the timing was just very poor.

Oh Lord....

I have to agree with the GH CEO. “They used the timing opportunistically because they want more money."

I also think he better come up with a legit reason for firing them.....that no comment BS in unacceptable--especially in a $50K lawsuit...

From article: "This has affected our lives on so many levels and there was not an ounce of concern or compassion.”

Dear Miss Whitesdale....you got fired. Get over it. Go find another job. No one is going to throw you a pity party. People get fired every day. Take your two weeks pay and little severance package and move on.

I’d tend to agree. Bad timing! But who knows? This bit killed me, though:

In an interview, the women maintain they were treated callously, saying no supervisor called to offer support or ask if they needed counseling after their gruesome discovery on Aug. 30, the day Varaschin was reported missing.

Wah! No one called to offer me a cousellor. Boo-hoo! What’s up with people these days that they wouldn’t seek counseling on their own if they felt they needed it? Why would that be Greenhawks’ problem just because they found the car on the way to work?

Restructuring? During a poor economy when half the western world is in trouble? Unheard of!

And I'm with GoodyTwo--boo hoo hoo, no one called a counselor for me and asked how I was feeling. Did either of them ASK to go home or talk to someone if they were that stressed?

Oh whatever!! They were fired but I SERIOUSLY doubt it was because they found a car with blood splatters in it. How absurd. It's not like it was a high paying job in the first place. 25k each? Did they even make that much in a year?
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Poor timing probably, but I refuse to shop at GH at the best of times!!

Well, in the news business there is a saying '"There's no such thing as coincidence, follow the dollar, nothing and no one is ever exactly what they seem, and if your mother says she loves you-- confirm it with two independent sources."

I find it highly suspicious that these two ladies just happen to get fired AFTER finding a bloody car in their employer's parking lot. Sounds like GH wanted to distance itself from any on-going association with a high profile murder case.

After all, the two employees may be called to testify at a later date as to what exactly they saw. GH probably is already dreading seeing its name come up whenever the car is mentioned as it is-- negative publicity-- stop your car in GH's parking lot and get murdered or there is so little traffic at GH, their parking lot is perfect for dumping off your murder victim's car.

But, still, wanting to avoid negative publicity because your employees did the right thing and called police? Is that a "good" reason for firing someone? I don't think so. I hope those women get more than just two weeks' pay and a "thank you." I hope they have gotten a good attorney, and they sue those insensitive creeps they used to work for.

And as to how unsettling it was to find a car with blood on it-- has anyone who "blew off" these ladies' possible trauma ever found a dead body or a possible murder scene? Well, I used to be a newspaper reporter/editor-- I've been called out to some pretty awful murder or accident scenes-- and yes- I wish sometimes a counselor had been made available-- I haven't worked in news in 25 years, but I sometimes still have dreams about the worst things I saw. The worst are accident scenes with maimed dead children's bodies still at the scene. There now, bet you wish you had a counselor or some brain bleach handy. -- And I didn't even go into graphic detail.

A little empathy for these two now-jobless women would have been nice.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

I agree with you.
    When the car was first found, I never saw the name GH associated with the news story. I am not in the same town, but I am less than one hour away and GH was never mentioned. Not sure about the publicity they wanted to avoid, if any, but now they sure have the negative publicity!!!

I have heard other stories of the way they treat and pay their employees and I will not shop in their stores. I prefer to support the small independent tack stores in the area. I do not think they are the best, by far.

Sounds like sour grapes from the employees to me. And why would the employer offer counseling? WTF. makes no sense to me.

I cannot comment on the exact circumstances regarding the firing of these two employees but certainly I do know that there is a very good victim crisis intervention team in the area that I have worked with personally in a number of circumstances. These ladies would have certainly been taken care of in whatever way possible if they had seeked assistance (and who knows, maybe they did). I do not know if Greenhawk offers any type of employee grief counselling or not....it is certainly possible that they do. Many companies and ALL government agencies certainly do.

I do believe that there are always two sides to a story however and I have not yet heard Greenhawks side. That information will no doubt come out during either the civil or workplace harrassment proceedings.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I have heard other stories of the way they treat and pay their employees and I will not shop in their stores. I prefer to support the small independent tack stores in the area. I do not think they are the best, by far.
    The same pretty much applies to anyone they do business with. The odd time they have something nobody else does and I have to shop there but not often. What they've done has obviously worked, how they got there ....

Knowing the main player in this, my opinion (for what it's worth) - very dirty move. I hope the ladies are successful with their lawsuit.

elysian*fields*farm... nothing like what you've experienced, but I was part of a few kids that found our high school janitors murdered body. I only thank God that I wasn't walking up front and center so I didn't see as much as those guys did, but I saw enough and it stays with you. Forever.
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

Quote Originally Posted by elysian*fields*farm View Post
    Well, in the news business there is a saying '"There's no such thing as coincidence, follow the dollar, nothing and no one is ever exactly what they seem, and if your mother says she loves you-- confirm it with two independent sources."

I find it highly suspicious that these two ladies just happen to get fired AFTER finding a bloody car in their employer's parking lot. Sounds like GH wanted to distance itself from any on-going association with a high profile murder case.

After all, the two employees may be called to testify at a later date as to what exactly they saw. GH probably is already dreading seeing its name come up whenever the car is mentioned as it is-- negative publicity-- stop your car in GH's parking lot and get murdered or there is so little traffic at GH, their parking lot is perfect for dumping off your murder victim's car.

But, still, wanting to avoid negative publicity because your employees did the right thing and called police? Is that a "good" reason for firing someone? I don't think so. I hope those women get more than just two weeks' pay and a "thank you." I hope they have gotten a good attorney, and they sue those insensitive creeps they used to work for.

And as to how unsettling it was to find a car with blood on it-- has anyone who "blew off" these ladies' possible trauma ever found a dead body or a possible murder scene? Well, I used to be a newspaper reporter/editor-- I've been called out to some pretty awful murder or accident scenes-- and yes- I wish sometimes a counselor had been made available-- I haven't worked in news in 25 years, but I sometimes still have dreams about the worst things I saw. The worst are accident scenes with maimed dead children's bodies still at the scene. There now, bet you wish you had a counselor or some brain bleach handy. -- And I didn't even go into graphic detail.

A little empathy for these two now-jobless women would have been nice.
    The law is the law. You don't "need" a reason for fire someone, if they are an "at will" employee -with the exception of discrimination. The company claimed restructuring was the reason. Perfectly legitimate.

What are they sueing for? Emotional distress, being treated callously when fired? Doesn't hold up in court. This is a lawsuit intended to try to force the company to "settle," to stop bad publicity -there is no case here. Nasty piece of work by the ex-employees in my opinion.

Frankly, if I was the CEO of a business and an employee found a car in my parking lot with what looked like blood spots inside, I would hope they would were have the courtesy of letting my company (humans relations or media dept) know they called the police and potentially reporters before the police arrived on the premises! I mean...seriously! Think about the ramifications of employees (a company -not a family owned business we are writing of) not giving their employers such respect.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

I would think this would be a labour board issue, not a civil issue. If GH paid them the correct severance and vacation pay they should get over it and go on their way.

GH is a big company and I'm sure they follow correct procedures for terminations. Sounds like these ladies are just trying to make a buck.

I, too, think it is a Labour Board issue. Only if the LB finds in their favour, may they sue for additional funds if they can find a lawyer to take on a wrongful dismissal suit and the chances of an outcome in their favour would be slim to none in a civil suit if all guidelines were followed. General rule of thumb for dismissals in downsizing is last hired, first fired. Please remember, Canadian Labour Standards are somewhat different from US Standards and civil suits are rarely persued unless the offended party is large enough to warrant a class action.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

FYI, it was not just "blood spots" in the car. It was rather gory.
    I agree that if the employees needed counseling, I am sure the police who took their statements would have directed them to the proper resources. Maybe they did and GH refused them the time off to seek counseling! Who knows? I'd be curious to find out too if their restructuring included hiring new sales staff at that location. It happens...
    I am sure the people who did find the unfortunate nurse's body got counseling help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post
    The law is the law. You don't "need" a reason for fire someone
    The law IS the law. And you have to abide by it in every part of your business practice. If you don't ... hello Mr. Lawsuit.

I just found out more about this how's this all workin' out for ya Greenhawk? Should be interesting......
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

It's called Wrongful Dismissal. And it can occur when a group of people are targetted and dismissed....for example, those of a certain age, gender, etc...including times of restructure.

Having worked for a now defunct Telecom Giant, there were several suits and class action suits of this nature when the company was downsizing and restructuring. Most were settled out of court to the benefit to the complainants. They were henceforth referred to in humour as "protected species." What does that tell you? Also to the credit of that particular company, it had a great PR team whose job was to manage to keep the bad news outta the press. Surely a company of the size of GH should be capable of that?

All of that said, the courts will decide the fate of these two ladies.

I for one...simply cannot imagine finding that car and knowing how it was used. That would stay in the mind and in the imagination.
    Last edited by Dee-Vee; Sep. 25, 2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling

It's clear from the article that it wasn't a group that was targeted because one of the girls who found the car is still working for GH. Regardless, the labour board will do an investigation and if they feel the ladies are owed more money then GH will pay but I highly doubt they will ever see 25K.

According to the ESA GH does not have to give a reason but they do have to pay them all owed vacation pay and regular pay as well as termination pay. Here's the info. directly from the ESA.

Written Notice of Termination and Termination Pay
    Under the ESA:

•an employer can terminate the employment of an employee who has been employed continuously for three months or more if the employer has given the employee proper written notice of termination and the notice period has expired;
    or
    •an employer can terminate the employment of an employee without written notice or with less notice than is required if the employer pays termination pay to the employee.
    [ Top ]
    Written Notice of Termination
    When an employee is terminated, the written notice required under the ESA is generally determined by how long someone has been employed by an employer.

Notice of termination of employment, once given, cannot be withdrawn without the consent of the employee.

The following chart specifies the periods of statutory notice required.

Length of Employment Notice Required
    Less than 3 months None
    3 months but less than 1 year -1 week
    1 year but less than 3 years -2 weeks
    3 years but less than 4 years -3 weeks
    4 years but less than 5 years -4 weeks
    5 years but less than 6 years -5 weeks
    6 years but less than 7 years -6 weeks
    7 years but less than 8 years -7 weeks
    8 years or more -8 weeks

looked like convenient timing for the women to sue, sounds like GH did all they were required and if the employees didn't take it to the labour board first, then it really smacks of opportunism on their part. The article even says that GH paid the necessary vacation and termiantion pay that the two women were owed. If they did take it to the LB, then obviously the LB found in the company's favour and the women are upset at the ruling and trying to up the ante by laying a civil suit. The articles don't say if this issue was ever presented at the LB or not.

I don't see why GH should offer to pay for counselling- its not like the women were performing their work duty and GH murdered someone in front of them- its was more like they were on their way to work and found a suspicious looking vehicle in a parking lot and did their civic duty. It happened to be the parking lot where they worked, but it could've been anywhere. They had already been informed that they might be let go because of the restructuring of the company, in the week previous.

If they were traumatized by finding the vehicle, they could also access the Victim's Services branch of their police force for counselling- the government subsidizes it.
    If it ain't broke- TRAIN IT!