The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Rate Your Registry

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm running away from them.. they suck really bad.

1 2.17%
  • Very Unsatisfied:

0 0%
  • Unsatisfied: I am looking at options

1 2.17%
  • Slightly Unsatisfied. Doesn't meet my needs

1 2.17%
  • Satisfied.. it does the minimum of what i need it to do

3 6.52%
  • Slightly over Satisfied: there is room for improvement

1 2.17%
  • Mildly Peased: They go a little over what I need

3 6.52%
  • Pleased: They handle all of what I need, well.

11 23.91%
  • Very Pleased: I recommend them to everyone I know

24 52.17%
  • Blissful: If the registry/studbook was a person.. I'd marry it.

3 6.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin off: Rate your registry/stud book

I'm just curious how people like there registries they've chosen to use. It is open to multiple answers, so feel free to select one for each registry that you use
    So on a scale of 1-10, 1 being "I wish I had another choice" and 10 being "If i could clone my registry for every breed, I would.. it's so awesome everyone would love it" Rank your registry.. Feel free to give reasons if you wish, no need to though. Just curious how many people are satisfied consumers
    Last edited by DandyMatiz; Sep. 24, 2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: add a sentence.

Well I have used Old/ISR , AWR and RPSI in the past. I was very happy with RPSI on all occasions and not so happy with Old/ISR on my 2 trips there: first time incident was with "beyond the pale" rudeness and second was when I sold a mare in foal.The buyer listed herself as the breeder at inspection time. I asked the office to correct the registration to listing me as the breeder. They have refused to do so. The stallion owner (of the foal's sire) even contacted them to let them know I was correct/the owner of the mare at the time of breeding. AWR customer service was awful in the more distant past (7 and 8 years ago) but improved in recent years. I didn't vote as I can only vote for one./that would skew the results.

Default I breed Irish Draught Sport Horses

I really really wish the breeders in Ireland would stop infighting, though it seems to have slowed down recently.

I am glad that most breeders seem to want to stick to the traditional Irish Draught TYPE and leave the modernization to the sport horses.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I couldn't vote since we use(d) several registries. We've used the AHS, GOV and RPSI. AHS has been great; give them a 9. Multiple, multiple bad experiences with GOV (mostly customer service and general treatment, we'll call it a 2) so after many different second tries with the same result, we've completely left them for the RPSI, who I would also give a 9 or even 10.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

My mares are registered with CTHS, which works well for me.

I only bred one mare once, to get the second for my own use, since I liked the first so much. Basically, I have no intention of selling or competing for year end awards, or anything like that, but I wanted the equivalent of a COP in case something ever happened to me.

CTHS is not verband recognized, their inspections are nowhere near me, but their customer service was excellent, very polite and helpful, and their rates were very reasonable.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

AHS. Great customer service from an efficient and friendly office, huge and well run inspection tour that covers this huge country very well, interesting and fun annual meetings, superb publications that are published on a reliable schedule, high standards that seem to be consistently applied. I am 100% happy with the organization.

Forgot to mention the website which is complete, well organized, quick to load easy to find anything I need.
    Last edited by Home Again Farm; Sep. 24, 2010 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    AHS. Great customer service from an efficient and friendly office, huge and well run inspection tour that covers this huge country very well, interesting and fun annual meetings, superb publications that are published on a reliable schedule, high standards that seem to be consistently applied. I am 100% happy with the organization.
    Me too!

Gotta be completely honest. I'm a little frustrated at the moment with my registry of choice. I'm half way into my mare's elite performance requirements and can't get a response.

In the past they've been great but I wonder about this new board....

This. To the point where I would only consider a broodmare in this registry.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Have to say that one of the most -ahem - "animated" arguments I ever witnessed was at an inspection with one of the largest registries in this country. The official was tired and stressed, the breeder was tired and stressed, someone said something that was misinterpreted and taken completely out of context and things escalated into quite a heated discussion until they were actually yelling at each other. I felt pretty badly for both of the individuals involved. Another friend mentioned the episode to me some weeks later, and said they had also been treated pretty abruptly by this same official on another occasion. But overall, the registry in question has a fairly good reputation for customer service.

I'm in the AHS completely satisfied camp. And this doesn't mean things have always gone my way. I am comforted by the transparency of the organization, and glad that important decisions are put to a vote by the membership - even when the majority of the membership has voted against my wishes (e.g. the change in the brand).

In the beginning, there were leaders in the organization whose manner I found off-putting. Over the years, I've come to know that is just their manner - and I have developed a lot of respect for them and their total commitment to the AHS. There seems to be a disproportionate amount of integrity in the leadership and management of the AHS compared to the horse industry in general.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    I'm in the AHS completely satisfied camp. And this doesn't mean things have always gone my way. I am comforted by the transparency of the organization, and glad that important decisions are put to a vote by the membership - even when the majority of the membership has voted against my wishes (e.g. the change in the brand).

In the beginning, there were leaders in the organization whose manner I found off-putting. Over the years, I've come to know that is just their manner - and I have developed a lot of respect for them and their total commitment to the AHS. There seems to be a disproportionate amount of integrity in the leadership and management of the AHS compared to the horse industry in general.
    Very well said. I especially understand and agree with the 2nd paragraph.

Forgot to mention the website which is complete, well organized, quick to load easy to find anything I need.
    I have been very pleased! I enjoy the inspections and annual meetings and have made some very good friends along the way!

I am very pleased with both registries I am part of.. AHA (Arabian) and AQHA (Quarter horses). I prefer AHA.. but AQHA has a lot to offer most people... including myself, Both are great registries, even if i disagree, i can usually understand the logic behind the arguements.

I'm also on Team AHS. Everyone in the office is always very friendly and they respond quickly and with courtesy to questions, and as a new mare owner I had a lot of them. I also love the website.

Arab assoc. I have been more than pleased with. They went above and beyond trying to help me locate my mare's previous owners. They were wonderful when it came time for paperwork on the other Arabs I have dealt with.
    AQHA - I love the organization if I could just get them out of the mass breeding incentives they would be great. I do love their youth program and wish some other registries would model after them.
    APHA - Mixed on them. I wish they would decide if they want stock to be bred or outlaw them because they don't have enough white. I would also like for them to track white foal syndrome a LOT better.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I am 100% team AHS and, as AHF stated, things have not always gone my way but there is complete transparency and an executive director who seems to know, not just bloodlines intimately, but remembers individual Hanoverians of all ages and will pick up the telephone and call a member if his/her horse might be eligible for a studbook upgrade! I was called about my half-TB mare and she went from Studbook to Main Studbook without any action on my part. What other registry would do that? Wonderful and very knowledgable breeders who extend help and a warm welcome to new members, as I was not to long ago. Very impressive group and wonderful horses!

I am also very happy with the AHS. I will probably exclusively breed AHS registered horses from now on.

I've dealt with many of them and can say that AHS is hands down the best I've dealt with. Professionally run, transparent, clear rules, great horses and people that care about their members and their horses. Certainly cannot say that about all of them.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.