The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Major Medical Copay

Got the paperwork to renew my gelding's insurance yesterday -- Deductible is the same as last year, and the policy will cost about the same, but they're adding a 30% copay --

I didn't have any claims last year -- the previous year, I had a claim that cost them about $1K -- No claim the year prior to that --

Anybody else getting hit with a copay?
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Honestly just got my insurance renewal. I didn't read it thoroughly yet, but I don't remember skimming through it and finding anything about a co-pay. Who do you have?

Great American has done this for some time now (certainly since my last renewal in March 2010) - there have been several threads on COTH about it. Is this GAIC or is another company following their lead?

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Great American has done this for some time now (certainly since my last renewal in March 2010) - there have been several threads on COTH about it. Is this GAIC or is another company following their lead?
    Yup- my agent switched me to another company. Great American started this around the beginning of the year. There are plenty of threads on here from the spring re: what people were doing about it.

Not only has GAIC added the co-pay, but they have changed their exclusion policy. In the past, if your horse had a problem with one leg they would exclude just the leg. Now if you make a claim for something like arthritis or DJD in one joint, they exclude DJD for the entire horse. Real life example - DD's pony has severe arthritis in L hock. It is the result of an external injury. None of her other joints (knees, hocks, ankles, stifles) show any arthritis or joint space narrowing (we took films of the all of the joints). The vet report clearly stated that the hock arthritis was the result of external injury. When I got my renewal letter, it said that they would not cover DJD or arthritis anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    Not only has GAIC added the co-pay, but they have changed their exclusion policy. In the past, if your horse had a problem with one leg they would exclude just the leg. Now if you make a claim for something like arthritis or DJD in one joint, they exclude DJD for the entire horse. ...
    I think they still evaluate exclusions on an individual basis as this has not been my experience (yet) with GAIC. In fact, my horse that has now had surgery for stifle OCD and more treatment the next year has yet to have an exclusion placed on his policy -- and I've renewed twice since the original claim. I really expected them to exclude stifles and/or OCD but hasn't happened yet.

My horse that has twice had high suspensory injuries has had that specific injury (RF susp) excluded. He also had a claim for medial collateral in the same foot and they paid without a problem. That ended up having that leg (RF) excluded, but not any others.

Yes, it's GAIC -- Sounds like I need to shop around --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM