The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Craziest people to show up at your barn?

Just a fun thread for funny stories.

What's the oddest person to ever show up at your barn for lessons, horse buying, etc.? I'm talking about people showing up for lessons in high heeled boots and designer pants... shopping for a 4H trail horse at an upscale dressage barn... you know. The people you have to hide the giggles for until they leave.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

ME!!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

When I was young, I hung out at Claremont Stables in NYC. Trust me, I saw it all. The oddest were the pimps who would come in dressed straight out of Shaft (this was the 1970's). They would bring their "girls" in for a ride of a different type. The "girls" were generally dressed in fish nets, hot pants, and platform heels. Even for a kid growing up in NYC, there was an other-worldly character to the moment.

The most exciting was Paul McCartney, with his wife Linda, and her daughter Heather.

My trainer

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    The most exciting was Paul McCartney
    Ringo came to mine.

IFG, we're tied at one Beatle apiece. But they're both top-quality Beatles.

My mother, bless her heart

One time I was heading across the road to the barn at dusk and I looked up and thought I saw someone coming down the road on a horse. I'm on a fairly busy road, so this is very unusual.

Well, it indeed was someone riding a horse. As he came closer, I saw the horse was a little appy, kind of mustangish-looking. The rider was a middle-aged man who told me he had trail ridden the horse from quite a ways, and that the horse was 26 and stone blind but had no trouble with the trail or the road.

It was quite a surprise.

boarders.
    the latest:

-without asking, they weedwacked the close-to-dry-lot paddock their horse gets individually turned out in. (farm owner calls me, "who the hell is weedwacking that paddock?").
    -they hollow out a piece of carrot for us to feed him a pill in. twice per day. individual pieces of hollowed out carrot.
    - installed a peice of (non)electric tape across the front of the stall so he won't jump out (horse is a previously foundered 26yo)
    - showed me baby pics of the horse when they came to check out the barn.
    - before the horse got off the trailer at the barn, she wanted to put on his boots because he wouldn't be able to walk across our pea gravel/sand driveway. but she couldn't get the boots on. horse gets out and walks across driveway without a bad step...
    -she puts each of his meals in a baggie for us, labels AM, PM, Mon PM, Wed PM, Fri PM. oh and we have to soak it.

i think the odd one is me for actually complying with all their...things.

BK, you have the patience of a saint.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Ringo came to mine.

IFG, we're tied at one Beatle apiece. But they're both top-quality Beatles.

Well, if you count that John Lennon came and spoke to my high school, I beat you!

Anyone who does so at 8am on a Sunday.

I could not do boarders. Just couldn't. Not without tranquilizers.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by alternativehorse View Post
    My mother, bless her heart
    Ditto
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by BK to some View Post
    boarders.
    the latest:

-without asking, they weedwacked the close-to-dry-lot paddock their horse gets individually turned out in. (farm owner calls me, "who the hell is weedwacking that paddock?").
    -they hollow out a piece of carrot for us to feed him a pill in. twice per day. individual pieces of hollowed out carrot.
    - installed a peice of (non)electric tape across the front of the stall so he won't jump out (horse is a previously foundered 26yo)
    - before the horse got off the trailer at the barn, she wanted to put on his boots because he wouldn't be able to walk across our pea gravel/sand driveway. but she couldn't get the boots on. horse gets out and walks across driveway without a bad step...
    -she puts each of his meals in a baggie for us, labels AM, PM, Mon PM, Wed PM, Fri PM. oh and we have to soak it.

Gee... none of that sounds particularly crazy to me... well, maybe the electric tape. Guess I won't come bother you
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Not exactly boarder or buyer but...The young couple who pulled up two weekends ago to ask if they couuld take their wedding pictures at our place. Actually, they were quite cute. She was wearing her fluffy and bejeweled white gown, he a rented tux, no wedding party just a photographer. They posed for an hour and then left.

Wonder what the family will think of those photos?

As for a buyer, the young hunter rider who wouldn't try my horse because the insides of her ears weren't clipped.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by BK to some View Post
    boarders.
    the latest:

None of that sounds particularly crazy to me except the tape across the front of the stall! You would hate me! My horse gets Wellpride and Vitamin E that has to be stored in the fridge, his feed had to be soaked during the summer when it was hot, and his supplements are in Smartpaks, but they have to be split into AM and PM (two drawers) because one needed to be separate from the rest. And I was out in his paddock not weed whacking but picking out poop. The barn manager and worker are as OCD as me though so it works out fine.

My horse's pasture mate has his own huge jug of organic apple juice labeled with his name in the fridge. And I used to board at a barn where a woman would bring her pig with her on a leash. It's name was Princess or something like that.
    T3DE Pact

Lady in short shorts, flip flops tank top and 4 hours late to ride/try horses...no helmet no boots no 1/2 chaps let alone whole chaps...left her car end of drive and climbed over gate??? which you clearly self open to drive in (sign says so)
    Thought she could just hop on bareback and take a short trail ride...OTTB...Greenies WTF...then got angry because NO was the only word I could utter to any of her requests...........Yes she knew exactly what she was coming to look at....

Umm very tall black guy (pretty sure gay and no prejudise here) in skin tight leather pants..w/ thong peeking over low rider waistband....he had a helmet n boots n penchant for hugs.............

I had a guy pull in to ask for directions. He argued w/ me about where he was ( uh- OK???) as he did this one of my goats climbed into his minivan. The rider in the ring was saying "uh- goat- uh- goat??". He never came back...............
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

one of my goats climbed into his minivan
    LOLOLOL! Where are those goats when you really need them?
    Click here before you buy.

My mother-in-law decided to come to one of my events. She kept asking what she should wear, and I kept saying, anything comfortable you don't mind getting dirty (which describes exactly none of her wardrobe). She arrived with a baseball cap that had short straight blond fake hair hanging down all around its edge--she tucked her own hair (which is also dyed platinum blond) up into it so only the wig/hat hair showed. She had decided in complete seriousness that this made her look like an authentic equestrian.

Fortunately it was Halloween weekend so everyone thought she was just dressing up.

But partway through the weekend my trainer's young son said to her, completely earnestly, "Could you please take off that wig? It makes you look like you're pretending to be younger."

omg- these are hilarious!

the weirdest one i can think of was when the neighbors to our farm (who rented the house and had recently moved it) came over to tell me that our horses were laying down in their fields in the morning and that as a horse owner i should know that horses who lay down are sick and could die!
    then she added, also her dogs were going into the fields to eat horse poop and could we please get all the horse poop out of the pasture so the dogs didn't get sick.

i had such a hard time keeping a straight face- oh it was so funny
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy