The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OTTB and CANTER horses

I have been spending WAY to much time looking at trainer horse web sites and there are, what appears to be, a few really nice horses listed there.

I am just curious because most of them are pretty cheap, $500-1500, but there are a few that are like $3500, and those are usually older, which I would think would make them cheaper. Just curious if any of you have bought horses straight off the track and what your experience was. Most of them, say "or offer" but wondered whether the people that have priced them high generally get realistic, or just get mad if you make an offer more in line with the "normal" price, and it's a waste of your time.

I am also looking at several "older, as in 10-14 range" experienced event horses that are actually pretty nice that are $2500-4500, so doesn't make sense to me to spend that much on a horse off the track that has no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by equinedriver View Post
    I am also looking at several "older, as in 10-14 range" experienced event horses that are actually pretty nice that are $2500-4500, so doesn't make sense to me to spend that much on a horse off the track that has no clue.

Actually...depending on the horse...it can make sense. I've gotten OTTB from Free to over 5K.... The one I paid the most for had been let down already but not restarted...he did his first starter event at BN 60 days later and was going training level in less than 6 months--winter slowed us down. He was worth more than 3 times what I paid for him with just a few months of work. No doubt he will be ready for a CCI* next year...and will likely be my CCI** or higher horse. (good mover and fabulous jumper).

Just because they are race horses doesn't mean they should be cheap. Many of mine already knew how to w/t/c both leads and do changes. They already knew how to gallop and were fine with things like getting on trailers, clipping etc. Not all come with a ton of track baggage...but they are a gamble as an event horse but not always more so than any other green horse.

A nice horse is a nice horse .... and some times they are priced more because the person who has them knows they are nice and isn't in a rush to unload. Others are cheap because while they may be nice...they need the space and need the horse gone yesterday. Don't just assume because they are an OTTB that they should be priced cheap.

You have to go and look at them and decide if you like them what you are willing to spend on them. But if you have never had an OTTB or are new to eventing...the more experienced horse may be better for you at this time.

ETA: And there are more OTTBs then just what are listed on the Canter sites.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Sep. 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Pricing is always at the whim of the trainer The only real "rule" we have is that the price must be lower than the lowest claiming price at the track. We can't suggest prices to trainers.

Most trainers price between 1-2000 because if they have a nice horse they know from experience that's the easiest price range to sell them. Horses priced lower may have an issue, or they just may need to move the horse quickly (honestly, price is really a very poor indicator of what kind of horse it is - it has more to do with how quickly they need a free stall, if the horse can keep racing a while so they don't need to sell it right away, and stuff like that, than anything else).

Horses priced very high - well that could be several things. It could be a very nice horse (and some race trainers have experience in the show world and know how nice their horses are). It could be an unrealistic or naive trainer. It could be anything in between But a trainer with a sound 16.3 hand bay gelding with impeccable temperament and good conformation? Most of the time they know those horses are in demand.

Sometimes trainers change the prices because they have horse selling experience - I've had a few raise a $1000 horse to $3000 because callers keep thinking there's something wrong with it.... and just like in the rest of the universe, sometimes this works.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    But a trainer with a sound 16.3 hand bay gelding with impeccable temperament and good conformation? Most of the time they know those horses are in demand.
    That was my guy at 3. He was worth more than the folks I got him for paid at the time, even though he was "too expensive" in the opinions of many who are picking up OTTBs.

At 8, my vet asked during my prepurchase if he had actually raced (11 races total) because he had the most perfect legs he'd seen on an ex-racer, especially as he'd evented through training after that.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Pricing is always at the whim of the trainer The only real "rule" we have is that the price must be lower than the lowest claiming price at the track. We can't suggest prices to trainers.
    Same for our Trainer Listings at Finger Lakes.....

I've had some trainers say that they are questioned by potential buyers if the price is "too low" and also questioned if the horse is "too high". Most trainers negotiate but they've told me they don't appreciate it when potential buyers want to get their big, sound bay gelding for free when it's listed for five hundred.

There are many jewels out there at race tracks just waiting to be polished.

Sometimes the price is reflective of the past experience with people shopping for a "cheap" horse. I've seen horses listed for over $3000 but sell for a fraction of that, based on the communication between buyer and seller. My suggestion is to go look at any horse that you are interested in, and actually talk in person with the seller. Cash and a trailer speaks volumes.

Nancy

I think a lot of the time it just varies by trainer. Some automatically start at 1K and then adjust on age/soundness, others start at 4K.

Some try to get a lot for big bay or gray geldings--not sure if people will really pay double/triple for them--maybe?

That said, if you are finding 10 yr old experienced event horses in the same range, they do represent a lot less risk and get you out there sooner.

Sent you a PM

Prices are all over the place, some just go by Claiming value, other what owners may owe, and some just want the horse gone and cut expenses.

Penn National right now can't give them away and because of the tighter gate security weekend foot traffic thru the backside has dribbled.

Send me a PM can get you 2-3 good contacts there if you bring a trailer cash and pre arrange for PPE's to be done on the day or next.

I posted this on another thread, but know this horse personally and the reason why he is so cheap is that he is a turf horse, meaning he only runs on the grass mainly, and after the turf ends, he is forced to leave the grounds of the racetrack till next spring. (Track rule).

Now he is a horse that makes a little money on the grass, but now the owner has to lay him up all winter at a farm until springtime. The owner doesn't have a lot of money so it is not feasible for him to do, so he is selling him cheap.

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...&directory=279

Sometimes, like in this case, the cost outweighs the potential earnings as the horse is cheap and needs the grass- which is all but over now.

So, someone may end up with a bargin as he is useless to the trainer/owner at the track, but would be an awesome eventer...

Same case with one of my racehorses. I have had him listed on CANTER for I think about 8 weeks. I keep dropping my price and nobody really bites on him. I'm guessing people must think something is wrong with him. He's a horse that only runs on the poly track...and who had a less than stellar year this year. So he's turned out, let down and more than ready for a new job. You'd think that would be worth the $$....?
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Quote Originally Posted by jenarby View Post
    Same case with one of my racehorses. I have had him listed on CANTER for I think about 8 weeks. I keep dropping my price and nobody really bites on him. I'm guessing people must think something is wrong with him. He's a horse that only runs on the poly track...and who had a less than stellar year this year. So he's turned out, let down and more than ready for a new job. You'd think that would be worth the $$....?
    Why didn't you include a link to his photo anddescription?

CSSJR

Oops...here ya go!
    http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...&directory=302

I took these listings for a trainer too. I posted them on another thread but he had no bites. He always puts a price of $1500 on all of his horses. Regardless of size and color. I know he will budge a little depending on how fast the sale is though. His horses always look really good too.

Is that Mountaineer. PA?

No, Mountaineer is in Chester, WV. However my farm is in Lisbon, OH.