The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WWYD: Bring unhandled weanling home now, or wait?

Needing input on a now-5-month-old colt I purchased 3 weeks ago.

The breeder just pulled him out of the pasture and off his dam last Sunday...had not been handled at all until this point. He's in a stall and still very "skittish and goosey", so they haven't really done much of anything with him, trying to let him settle a bit. However, they are going to be really busy/out of town through the weekend and may not even have a chance to work with him at all.

Naturally, I am anxious to get him home. Should I just go get him, unload him directly into one of my stalls, and go from there...OR...leave him with the breeder until he's settled more and they do have a chance to work with him? I've halter broken my own, so not an issue there...just wondering what's best for his mental well being? He IS eating hay (grain - not so much) and drinking.
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><

I got my gelding that way when he was 4 months old. Hadn't been hardly touched..... just out in the pasture with mom and a bunch of other broodies. They didn't even have him up in a stall..... we had to manuver the trailer up to a 3 sided shed and shoo him up into the trailer with mom....... then I worked him up into the first stall on the slant load and locked him in (had a floor to ceiling stud divider... so he had no where to go) and then backed mom out and turned her back out into the pasture. When I got him home, I backed up close to the barn..... crawled back into the trailer and managed to ge a halter and lead rope on him. Got him out and into the barn with the help of some friends. I put him in a big stall with another weanling colt I had at the time and then just spent the next few days going in, catching him and messing with him. To this day, my gelding is the easiest horse I have had to deal with and just a steady soul. So if you are prepared, you could go ahead and bring him on home....... just be ready for scared baby..... if you have a babysitter or another colt for him to hang out with, that is the best.

Bobbi

That pretty much sounds like my situation. They do have a halter on him and I can back the trailer directly into my barn, open the door, and shoo him down the aisle to a stall. I'm planning on putting my only gelding next to him for the time being, for moral support, but also am wanting the gelding to buddy up to baby first, before putting him out with the gelding's 'harem'...which, obviously won't be for some time.

I really do want to get baby home.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by KSAQHA View Post

Naturally, I am anxious to get him home. Should I just go get him, unload him directly into one of my stalls, and go from there...OR...leave him with the breeder until he's settled more and they do have a chance to work with him? I've halter broken my own, so not an issue there...just wondering what's best for his mental well being? He IS eating hay (grain - not so much) and drinking.
    go get your horse,I like ultium growth for babies

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

As a matter of fact, just spoke with the breeder and will be hauling him home this weekend.

I fed Omolene 300 to my last baby, but will check out Ultium Growth.

He hasn't been vaccinated or dewormed, either.
    <><

It's going to take patience, but just keep harassing... er, I mean loving the little monster until he gets used to it. And he will, it really won't take all that long and you will be wondering how the heck to get him out of your back pocket.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Go get him. Deworm him for ascarids immediately.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Rhy - yeah, he'll be wishing he was still left alone, 'cause all I have is time on my hands.

EQ, you read my mind - was wondering what wormer to use first. My last baby is now 4, and for the life of me I can't even remember what I started her with.
    <><

Needing input on a now-5-month-old colt I purchased 3 weeks ago.

The breeder just pulled him out of the pasture and off his dam last Sunday...had not been handled at all until this point. He's in a stall and still very "skittish and goosey", so they haven't really done much of anything with him, trying to let him settle a bit. However, they are going to be really busy/out of town through the weekend and may not even have a chance to work with him at all.

Without reading the other posts, I would say go and get him now.

The breeder's did not seem inclined to work with him up till now, so do you really think they are going to get to it any time soon?

Start his education. If you have a quiet older horse, bring him/her along to help load and quiet the little guy for the ride.

I would let him adapt to his new "herd" and partner up with another quiet horse, then start working with him.

If you know what you are doing and aren't afraid, I'm sure it will go fine.

EQ, you read my mind - was wondering what wormer to use first. My last baby is now 4, and for the life of me I can't even remember what I started her with.
    Get apple flavored wormer if you can...makes them more willing to eat it, and more willing for the next worming.

I too would go get him now. I hope you have a better situation for him then the breeder. He needs at bare minimum a companion. Best would be other colts but a kindly gelding can suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    go get your horse,I like ultium growth for babies

Tamara in TN
    I agree. Go get him and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    ...I hope you have a better situation for him then the breeder...
    Actually, there's nothing really wrong with what the breeder is doing (35 broodmares, 3 studs)...a lot of ranch-oriented breeders operate about the same in this region. They've been moving multiple weanlings for a couple of weeks, now, and my guy was on the waiting list to bring up to the barn. There are a couple of other weanlings in stalls, as well, and they were going to turn him out with an older gelding over the weekend.

I bought a now-7 year old mare as a yearling, under pretty much the same circumstances...and she wasn't even hauled in from the broodmare band until 10 days before I picked her up, no previous handling - it all went smoothly. My concern was more the young age of this colt and all the switch-up in one week's time.

It's all good, now.
    <><

Has this foal had ANY SHOTS? By 5 months he should have already had his first EWT shot. I would want an EWT/flu/rhino to make sure he doesn't end up coming down with something due to the stress.

We never ship youngsters alone - we always set up the trailer with 2 box stalls and take another horse or pony as a buddie.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

It's too late if she picks him up this weekend, to pop him with any vaccine and gain any immunity at all. It would be more likely to stress his immune system and possibly enable other potential issues, then to do any good. Unfortunately the ascarid risk is so high that it is worth deworming immediately, although that will stress his immune system, too.

Ideally this would have all been done a while ago...
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    Has this foal had ANY SHOTS? By 5 months he should have already had his first EWT shot. .
    Actually there is a very popular school of thought among vets that no foal should get any shots before 6 months of age if their dam was UTD on all her vaccines prior to foaling.

The reason is the immunity the foal has gotten from the mare intefers with the vaccines, at least that's the way I understand it.

I don't start giving my foals individual vaccines till they are 6 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Actually there is a very popular school of thought among vets that no foal should get any shots before 6 months of age if their dam was UTD on all her vaccines prior to foaling.

The reason is the immunity the foal has gotten from the mare intefers with the vaccines, at least that's the way I understand it.

I don't start giving my foals individual vaccines till they are 6 months old.
    You are right it has been shown that the foal of a UTD mare does not need vaccinations until weaning or aprox. 6 months. Good luck and keep us posted!

Yes I do know about the benefits of not giving shots too early. BUT - shipping a foal by itself that has just been weaned is putting a lot of stress on him. And in this situation with this many mares............I'd make sure his dam had all her shots before he was foaled.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Is anyone else concerned about the prospect of shipping the foal and bombarding it with vaccines and dewormer all at once (or effectively all at once)? I would stagger some of these things and with respect to the deworming I would talk to my vet about how to do it as safely as possible because this foal apparently has never been dewormed and may have worm overload.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    Is anyone else concerned about the prospect of shipping the foal and bombarding it with vaccines and dewormer all at once (or effectively all at once)? I would stagger some of these things and with respect to the deworming I would talk to my vet about how to do it as safely as possible because this foal apparently has never been dewormed and may have worm overload.
    I completely agree--the stress of moving is enough of an attack on his immune system. If you're going to bombard him with something, let it be ulcergard!