The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Spinoff: Does your trainer text/talk on phone while teaching or hauling?

It's bad enough when a trainer is texting or talking on the phone while they should be teaching a lesson or riding a horse, but to be texting and talking on the phone without a headset while hauling client's horses is bad, bad, bad.

Yes, a former trainer of mine did all of the above and probably still does. I never said anything while I was a client because she wasn't that easy to talk to, but looking back I wish I had asked her to please consider the safety of the horses when she is on the road.

AmyPRT Guest

I worked for a well known hunter trainer a few years ago and she was ALWAYS on her cell while riding a horse. I didnt see it as much during the lessons she taught, but if she was schooling something the cell was on her ear just about the whole time. If I was an owner I would have been irritated about it. But....her horses looked and performed very well regardless of her chatting.

She always used commercial haulers, so never saw it happen that way, thank god.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Quote Originally Posted by DoesThisAlterMakeMeLookFat View Post
    It's bad enough when a trainer is texting or talking on the phone while they should be teaching a lesson or riding a horse, but to be texting and talking on the phone without a headset while hauling client's horses is bad, bad, bad.

Yes, a former trainer of mine did all of the above and probably still does. I never said anything while I was a client because she wasn't that easy to talk to, but looking back I wish I had asked her to please consider the safety of the horses when she is on the road.
    A former trainer of mine did all of the above. It drove me crazy, especially since more often than not the beginning of my lesson would be taken up by her ranting about another client, another trainer, a potential buyer, etc. Always made me wonder what she said about me at the beginning of other clients' lessons!

I didn't leave specifically because of that, but it was a contributing factor. It's very inconsiderate and unprofessional (during lessons). It could also be potentially fatal when hauling.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I know you aren't talking about me - I don't
    know how to text - took it off my cell phone plan,
    and never bring my cell to the barn.
    I don't understand the whole texting thing anyway-
    don't people speak to one another any more?

My trainer gives me his undivided attention. I'm paying for it, and I expect it.

He did answer his cell phone one time during a lesson, but had told me in advance that he was expecting an overseas call, so I was expecting the interruption. It was brief, and he extended the lesson by 10 minutes to compensate for the interruption.

Texting while driving is illegal in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    Texting while driving is illegal in Washington.
    And in just about every state, no? But we all do it anyway

My trainer seldom takes a call while giving a lesson.

My other trainer never did until she was comfortable with me as a client which really I don't like since the lesson price is huge as it is. I want the trainers attention just as she expects me to have her attention while training!

Texting while driving should be illegal everywhere.

The texting and hauling thing just astonishes me. I had a trainer do it once when I was sitting next to her. Never trailered with her again. I'd rather drive myself.

I'll admit I use my phone when I'm on my own in my car under certain circumstances--I do a lot of longer distance driving along deserted freeways out west. But not when I'm in the truck, towing the trailer--and actually, only if I'm desperate when I'm driving my truck at all. It's a honkin' beast that requires focus to ensure it goes where I intend it to...

But texting? Good grief, no.

I don't mind a quick call. My instructor's horse has been in the vet clinic for a week and if they call her, I have no issue with her answering.
    My instructor and the head trainer (owner of the business) are not chatters so if they take a call, I know it will be short.
    If they were to just chat on for a while, I would be mad. I am paying for their time.

I wouldn't be happy to find out my trainer (or anyone hauling a horse) was texting or talking on the phone while hauling. First, it's illegal in NY but also, it's very dangerous.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default ??!!??!!!!???? > : (

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    My trainer gives me his undivided attention. I'm paying for it, and I expect it.

He did answer his cell phone one time during a lesson, but had told me in advance that he was expecting an overseas call, so I was expecting the interruption. It was brief, and he extended the lesson by 10 minutes to compensate for the interruption.
    And this is the way a TRUE PROFESSIONAL behaves.

If you were in your doctor's office and he stopped your exam to take a call would you accept that?
    If a salesperson stopped completing your transaction would you stand there in silence?

Where are your spines?
    Trainers - these so-called "pros" - are working for you!

A dear friend & trainer once told me:
    "You enable the trainer"

If you put up with this incredibly rude and unprofessional behavior, you deserve to keep paying for the rude.

IIWM in the lesson, the moment trainer answered a call and did not end it ASAP, I would stop riding and park my horse & myself squarely in front of her/him until the call was ended.
    I would then request the time the call took to be added to my lesson time gratis.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Nope, if my trainer's phone rings during a lesson she ignores it unless she's been expecting an important call (which she's alerted us all too previously) and then she excuses herself to take it as quicky as possible. These calls are generally veterinary in nature!

Texting...well, she can't see the screen and won't wear glasses so she doesn't text or read them!! So no texting for her (I don't think she even knows how to text anyway)!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Texting while driving should be illegal everywhere.

The texting and hauling thing just astonishes me. I had a trainer do it once when I was sitting next to her. Never trailered with her again. I'd rather drive myself.
    Texting and driving is like driving drunk. I can't imagine what circumstance would encourage me to ride with a texting driver or worse, haul my horse. I couldn't stand it. Hauling is too much responsibility and requires too much band-width.

I'm 25 yrs old, but I sound like my BO/ trainer when I say I HATE TEXTING! Either find the time to talk or don't bother me- exceptions do apply, but that is for a total of 5 people who know how much I hate it.

I am guilty of riding and talking on my phone, but 1- never during someone else's lesson, 2- on a bluetooth earpiece, again, away from others unless we are all outside just hacking around, nobody else concentrating on working hard and in the corner out of everyone's way, and 3- only carry it when I am expecting a call/ have a current situation where I need to be available. The same goes when I'm driving and hauling. LOVE the bluetooth since I can just hit the button and use the voice commands to call out, or just press the button to answer. No seaching for the phone, looking up numbers or speed dials- the safest way I can think of! (Of course, if I have a passenger, then they do all the answering and calling, or put it on speaker.)
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

Had a few trainers who wouldn't talk on the phone, but would chit-chat with other people during my lesson. Had one who used my lesson time to take care of farm chores - "warm up at the trot a bit, I'll be right back," then disappears for 20 minutes. Etc. Another trainer would chit-chat with boarders during my semi-private lesson - would call out things like "Canter transition!" and then look away and chitter chat. She actually had the gall to ask me to do things like the transitions over again! "How was that canter transition?" "Good - very smooth." "Well, I didn't see it. Go back to the walk and do it again." ???? Ya think if you were looking in the ring instead of at your gossip buddies maybe you would have noticed? Needless to say, I did not stay with that trainer long. (Though I'm a bit ashamed to say I didn't have the stones to say why I was canceling my lesson package...)

Quote Originally Posted by Cita View Post
    Had a few trainers who wouldn't talk on the phone, but would chit-chat with other people during my lesson. Had one who used my lesson time to take care of farm chores - "warm up at the trot a bit, I'll be right back," then disappears for 20 minutes. Etc. Another trainer would chit-chat with boarders during my semi-private lesson - would call out things like "Canter transition!" and then look away and chitter chat. She actually had the gall to ask me to do things like the transitions over again! "How was that canter transition?" "Good - very smooth." "Well, I didn't see it. Go back to the walk and do it again." ???? Ya think if you were looking in the ring instead of at your gossip buddies maybe you would have noticed? Needless to say, I did not stay with that trainer long. (Though I'm a bit ashamed to say I didn't have the stones to say why I was canceling my lesson package...)

This is simply not acceptable. I expect my trainer's undivided attention, whether he's in the ring or at ringside. I don't mind if a working student calls in, "Trainer! Do you want me to get your next horse ready now?" But my lesson time has a definite beginning and end, and it's all mine!

There have been many, many times when the trainer has been late to start my lesson because the previous student or horse has been stuck on something and the lesson/training session was extended. I do not mind, because I have been the beneficiary of those, too.

But really, I would have no qualms about bringing a lapse to the trainer's attention. I'd guess it would take only once. I don't understand why students are reluctant to speak up about this.

My trainer has been known to answer his cell phone during a lesson. Sometimes he lets it go to voicemail. He has never been on the phone longer than a few minutes so it is not a big deal to me. He doesn't text ever so that is not an issue.

I don't take my lessons so seriously that a quick phone call makes a huge difference to me. If he was on the phone for 20 - 30 minutes that would be a problem.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondindykin View Post
    I don't take my lessons so seriously that a quick phone call makes a huge difference to me. If he was on the phone for 20 - 30 minutes that would be a problem.
    I pay good money for his time, plus arranged my day to be ready to go at the appointed time. He expects me to pay him the full amount, and I expect him to be fully working for me. We both value the business relationship, so we commit to it.

Likewise, when I'm meeting a client, my phone is on silent so I can give my full attention to the meeting I'm actually in.

Sounds like my daughter's old trainer. She would also chit-chat with other parents and talk on her cell phone the whole time. One time my daughter had been doing canter circles for a while, and the trainer made her do them all over again because she hadn't been watching.

That was just one thing in a long list of things that really bugged me.

And what's up with trainers who don't actually teach equitation? My daughter used to take lessons at a rather fancy English barn. They hardly ever gave her feedback on her riding...a lesson consisted of telling her what to do, but not much about how to do it. She eventually quit going there because it just wasn't that fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cita View Post

I went with my trainer to watch her take a lesson with a very well known rider/trainer a few years ago. By the time it was over, I wanted to choke this person. I don't know what she paid for the "lesson", but it was too much. On the phone just about the entire time and the brief instructions amounted to: do it again and shorten this time, or lengthen. Kept wondering how I could cause a bump followed by a stomp the phone into the dirt.......
    And nothing bad happened!

As a trainer, I try to make it a point to stay off the phone while teaching. I will answer a call or a text on two occasions.... (1) whomever is watching my children is calling/texting, sorry but my family comes first. (2) barn help is calling with a question, these calls normally take 2 seconds.

I will chat with students parents during a lesson during some down times. While student is walking horse out, or stopping for a drink or something along those lines. Otherwise, my focus is on the student.

I know a local trainer that is everyone here's nightmare, constantly chatting and texting. Blows my mind!
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

I will answer a call and tell them I'll call them back. Will also send a short text, but I can't really see my phone....
    I might talk to someone briefly.
    But I also give my students a lot of extra time, will make suggestions anytime I see them riding, answer countless questions until all hours about the horse, tack, upcoming shows.... I wrap, clip, teach how to pull manes, clean sheaths. I am an all round trainer and nobody seems to care if I answer a quick call.
    I never text while driving.