The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Therapeutic bute - how much for how long?

I have a very sore horse. Got her bad stifle injected and she's still quite sore, almost 2 weeks later. I want to try a course of bute to see if I can get everything to cool off again.

The horse is a 16 hand WB/TB, very refined build. I'm thinking 2 grams 2x day for a week, then 1 gram 2x day for another week.

Is this too much? Not enough?

Another question -
    I've got her on SmartDigest Ultra. Do you think I should add an antacid as well, as a preventative?

SmartDigest Ultra:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=6312

Comparison chart (it doesn't have an antacid in it):
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/charts...ppcompare.html
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

IMVHO, 4gm a day is much too much for that length of time for what you're looking at, especially without a vet's "prescription".

Without any vet's involvement, *I* would go 2gm the first morning, MAYBE 2gm that night, and then 1gm twice a day for the next 7-10 days and see what you get.

when I have to use bute now, I also use ranitidine, 3mg/lb, at least twice a day.

You should probably consult with the vet that did the injections. Response to injections, or lack of, is an important factor in determining what the problem is. I'd give the vet a call, at least, and they can weigh in on whether to give bute and how much. If the horse is more sore than before (not sure from your post), all the more important to involve the vet.

Thanks JB. I have some errands that take me past Walmart so I'll grab some ranitidine. That works out to 24 150mg pills twice a day for a 1200 lb horse. Does that sound right?

I hope these things are palatable. As in, even for Mares.

Yep, sounds right.

The pills are small. I didn't even have to grind them up.

also agree on contacting your vet, just in case there is any contraindication for the bute. There may be a reason to not help any inflammation at this point.

Always consult your vet.

However, my horse is just coming off a stifle strain. Here were our orders (no injections yet). Immediately following injury:

2g bute 1x/day for 3 days
    1g bute 1x/day for 3 days

Vet came back out to evaluate. Still sore.

1g bute 1x/day for a week.

She also prescribed Surpass - a prescription anti-inflammatory in a cream form that you rub on. 2x/day for 10 days and then 1x/day for 10 days.

Call your vet. He/She should be happy to provide that information.

4gm of bute a day is a pretty high dose. Granted if she's been in pain for a long time, it might take a bit extra to "kill" the pain and get ahead of it so you might need a bit more to start.

But please call your vet.

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    I'm thinking 2 grams 2x day for a week, then 1 gram 2x day for another week.

Is this too much? Not enough?
    Your vet should be the one to answer this question, not people on a BB (although many here are very experienced) - no one here has SEEN your horse. What is a "very sore horse" to one person might be "he's not too bad" to another.

I just moved and I'm kind of between vets, which is why I posted. I did contact a local vet who will hopefully be my regular vet going forward, and she has helped with the dosage.

Thanks again to JB for the ranitidine advice. She scarfed it up with some molasses (I felt the need to stack the deck, lol) so at least that part is easy!

Now if I could get some healing, that would be grand.

I recall an article in Equus in which a study determined that more than 2grams of bute a day is not necessary , and doesn't releive pain proportionally.