The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default To The DIYers - How Much To Meet Trainer at Shows?

For those of you who do everything yourselves at A/AA shows (hauling, grooming, schooling, etc.) how much do you pay a trainer to work with you and do you usually pay per division or per day? Also, do any of you meet your trainer only at shows and not haul in for lessons (or do so only occasionally)?

I did a search but couldn't find anything that addressed this specifically but in case other threads do exist on this topic, I apologize.

We trailer in to HITS every year and do the tacking up, grooming, schooling ourselves. Our trainer is great and only charges us a flat fee of $50/horse regardless of how many divisions they go in.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

I pay $75 for coaching a day, not per division.

I also ship in during the week for lessons when they are not stabling at the shows.

We pay $60 / day for coaching. That is for local and the "A" shows we attend.

ETA: this fee is a flat fee regardless of how many classes/divisions we do.
    Last edited by kdriding; Sep. 23, 2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: ETA
    Drop the drama and ride!

For our more local trainer, I pay $ 75 per show or lesson day at a show. In addition, she charges $ 10 per horse/per day if you stable with them but are not full service. I'm also responsible for our share of the splits.

We also show with a BNT who charges $ 150 per show or lesson day at the show. We've only met her at shows and not stabled with her, so I don't know what other fees might be charged. My feeling is that if we are doing all the work, we might be assessed a small fee to cover the set up and then all applicable splits but no day fees.

The DD takes lessons from the BNT 2x a week and the LNT once or twice a month due to scheduling conflicts.

$75 to $150 per day.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

100 per kid per show per day

I don't do the "A" shows with my students, but we do the "C" shows in NC, I charge a $25 per day fee for coaching/schooling a rider. Most of my student that haul in lesson with me fairly regularly altho there are a couple that don't and I would school them for the same fee.

In MD/VA:

$50 a day regardless of divisions, classes or rating of show. I trailer in for lessons occassionally but that doesn't seem to be a requirement.

I recently went solo to a show under another trainer. She charged me $50 per day in addition to her hotel split with her other clients. This day fee covered any training and lessons during a given day.

$50 per day, but additional $$ if he gets on the horse (like a warm-up round or something.)
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

Quote Originally Posted by Prima Donna View Post
    In MD/VA:
    This is very helpful, including the state or region.

Quote Originally Posted by JumperLove555 View Post
    She charged me $50 per day in addition to her hotel split with her other clients.
    Is it common to have to pay a hotel split if you're not stabling with your trainer or if you're trailering in for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    Is it common to have to pay a hotel split if you're not stabling with your trainer or if you're trailering in for the day?
    I forgot to add I also pay their camper fee (split between everyone else)

In Ontario, Canada.

I wouldn't think you'd pay the hotel split if you were only trailering in for one day....

We're in CT and trainers in Ct/NY

$75 per day-- or the daily fee for coaching on their price list.

I don't recall getting charged for housing/splits. But see below in terms of some bartering.

I have had trainers who I stabled with who wanted my horse to be on some form of full care-- just so that the groom who worked for her could make enough by coming on the road. I get it, but we usually worked out a minimal day care fee that let him feed water and clean (even though I did that as often as not.)

This all worked because I tried to make myself useful I helped with set up and tear down. I did night check or AM feeding. They threw hay to mine or checked his water along with the rest. I bathed a client's horse when the groom was swamped. When I used the common tack hook to clean my stuff, I did the other tack while I was there. You get the idea.

And I did tip the groom based on what I had paid, whether or not I needed him. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

I have found that trainers are often happy to have a cheap but skilled client.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Iowa: $80/day flat fee regardless of number of classes. Split food/hotel with other persons attending the show with him. If he drove (I usually hauled) to meet us there, 50 cents per mile split with the others.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Yes, it is common, and IMO, appropriate.

The hotel split is part of the trainer's expenses, shared among all clients that the trainer attends the show to assist. If the trainer is there helping you, then you pay for part of her cost to attend. Why should the other clients subsidize that expense for those who ship in?

This is separate from daycare, which the clients who stable with the trainer at the show will pay, and which covers not only her help, but her supervision of the care provided by her staff.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I've been a "haul in" for no less than 6 trainers over the last two years. I pick a show, then figure out who I'm going to ride with. My normal home trainer can't feasibly travel as much as I want to, as the rest of her clients show locally. I've paid anywhere from 25-55 per day.

I always check beforehand that I will not have to

a) split the tack/grooming/junk stalls
    b) pay for a groom
    c) pay any sort of day care fee (beyond training)
    d) pay for any sort of set up or breakdown fee

If I have to I will stable elsewhere on the grounds just to avoid any confusion with the splits.

In order for me to show, this is the way I have to do it. I carry my tack out to my trailer each night, and tack up in my stall. I'm very careful not to use any of the tack stalls as...well I'm not paying for them.

In general as a haul in, I have not been a split on the trainer's hotel. But that varies by trainer, and I'm flexible as long as I understand my commitment ahead of time.

I pay $75 a day for training in NJ. If its a show where we are stabled I also split the lodging fee for my trainer. However, at the one show where the barn stabled and I shipped in for a day I did not pay her lodging fees. I also regularly lesson with her.