The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse and Carriage - downtown Houston

This is a long shot, but has anyone had any dealings with Southern Carriage company in Houston?

The reason I ask is that they had a horse-drawn carriage for hire outside of the House of Blues on Caroline Street last Friday. Horse was SKINNY. So skinny that my relatively non-horsey friend looked at him and said “D---n, that’s a thin horse”. We talked to the driver, who told us she was with “Southern Carriage company”. She also told me the horse was a 4 year old (!) Perch/TB cross who had “some filling out to do” and that’s why he looked so thin. I replied that, to my knowledge, no horse should have protruding hips, countable ribs, and visible vertebrae at any point in development outside the womb. She then proceeded to tell me that I must not have seen enough different breeds of horse, because that’s just the way they are.

Horse looked otherwise OK – clean, good feet, no visible harness sores. But he really was thin. And if this is the same carriage company I’ve previously witnessed working downtown, they used to drive a dead lame grey Arab. At the trot. Poor fellow.

Anyhow, I filed a complaint with the local humane society. They were nice and answered, but they can’t act on it unless they know more, e.g. where the horse is stabled. All I could find on the company was a defunct website and a street address via Google.

So if anyone has run into these folks before and has additional info, please p.m. me. The humane society is willing to check it out if I can provide more info.

It looks like they have a website:

http://southerncarriagecompany.com/

that does not work. I googled and cached the main page, and from there they have a separate page labeled 'The Horses,' which I'm assuming has some descriptions of their carriage horses.

If the website was working, I'd suggest trying to see if you can spot the perch/tb you saw and ID him. Then write an email to the company.

Did you by any chance snap a picture of the horse's condition with your phone?

Their phone: 832-549-8838

and email: southerncarriagecompany@yahoo.com

Southern Carriage
    3005 Leeland
    Houston, TX 77003
    www.southerncarriagecompany.com

http://images.google.com/images?q=ht...com/the_horses