The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canadian Peeps: Do you rug your horses?

This is a non-clipped non-worked horse in the winter, and grows a coat like a yak/bison?

I've always blanketed others according to weather, work etc. but my mare is soooo hairy! she has a fantastic coat, Even when it got to -52 celcius last year I offered her a blanket and she refused....(I do adjust food when weather demands)

I personally have never been huge on blanketing or (overblanketing) I pass barns with horses that already have on two winter rugs!!(its still +5 celius here!)

So does anybody have a horse that they don't blanket?

I have one that I blanket when it gets to -25°C because he is a thin skinned bugger that grows a winter coat that really isn't much. I take my cues from him - he shivers, he gets the blanket, but that brings its own set of problems as he has to be kept on the light side (chronic residual effects of an injury) and with a blanket he gets too fat. The other one is like a yak and rarely needs blanketing. Here, they are out of the wind most of the winter and loose housed inside because of snow drifting over fences and them walking out over top.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Only in heavy snow or freezing rain. And then only a rainsheet and its only on the ones that refuse to come in the barn or the shelter.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

The horses I don't ride over the winter (babies & my pony horse) don't get blankets. The ones that I do ride (in my indoor arena) get blankets and most will get some sort of clip. Right now a few have rain sheets, and two have winter blankets on.

I do feed extra hay in the winter on the really cold days to help them stay warm.

Rainsheet or light blanket and if its really cold I might put a quilted or fleece one underneath. I don't clip or ride much once the snow comes though.

At the very least, we rainsheet. We are in the Fraser Valley of B.C. and all the rain and moisture causes rain rot pretty easily.

I am also in the island BC and my horse is now wearing a light blanket overnight off in the morning. It is the first night but cold.

no blankets yet - in bad weather they come in. As I may not clip too many this year I want them to grow a thicker coat for some of them - so blankets for most of them won't come on until below -5 celsius during the day. For the working horses -5 degrees at night is blanket time if they are staying out.

Everyone gets blankets day and night in the real depth of winter.

I like to leave unclipped horses without blankets as much a possible if they are not working.

The 25 yr old gets blankets, she can be a hard keeper in winter and loses weight fast.
    The senior pony gets a rain sheet if they are out in when it is snowing or raining.
    My young mare gets nothing, just a cooler if she is wet when she comes in till she is dried off.

I wouldn't blanket if I didn't have to. Unfortunately I ride all winter and my guy is already body-clipped and blanketed (he grows an early coat -- I had to clip him 2-3 weeks ago!). I know a lot of horses that are fine without blankets all winter.

Also wanted to add I don't know how you can live with -52! I think I'm hardy because I ride until -25 or so and I will leave the house until -30... but man, I wouldn't even go to work in the morning if it was -52!!

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    The horses I don't ride over the winter (babies & my pony horse) don't get blankets. The ones that I do ride (in my indoor arena) get blankets and most will get some sort of clip. Right now a few have rain sheets, and two have winter blankets on.

I do feed extra hay in the winter on the really cold days to help them stay warm.
    I do exactly this. Except that my 23 yr old TB will get a winter blanket when it gets to -20. I have two horses in work and they are currently wearing fall weight rain sheets and our temps have been in the +10 to +13 range. The horses in work will probably get trace clips otherwise it takes too long for them to dry and cool off.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

At the show this weekend, pretty much all the horses that stabled there were wearing at LEAST one winter blanket (usually a baker, with a winter overtop)...and that was probably 200 horses.

My guy was just sporting his own coat, which is slightly furrier so obviously worth more

But yes - generally in the winter for my horses they wear a stable blanket or baker inside, and a turnout overtop. They wont start wearing them until the weather warrants, and arent even in the rainsheets yet.

I had one last year that just wore a rainsheet all winter, she survived just fine but did get a little too furry to do any labour intensive work.

I am not that far from you and don't blanket any of mine in the cold unless someone is shaking and they rarely ever are. However, with this stupid freezing rain we have been having I have been blanketing a fair bit this past week. They can handle the cold super well but as soon as you add wind chills (on top of -30 or -40 temps) or freezing rains they start to feel it. I don't think I blanketed once last year and they wintered great and nobody was cold.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

Quote Originally Posted by BCEVENTER View Post
    At the very least, we rainsheet. We are in the Fraser Valley of B.C. and all the rain and moisture causes rain rot pretty easily.
    Ditto. The damp also makes a huge difference to how cold it feels.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Also wanted to add I don't know how you can live with -52! I think I'm hardy because I ride until -25 or so and I will leave the house until -30... but man, I wouldn't even go to work in the morning if it was -52!!

ya let me tell you it was a cold couple of days!! But sigh I still went to work! Stupid car started....lol

No blankets, except for a rain sheet on an ancient pony in wet snow or cold rain. Then off it comes when the precipitation stops, so he can fluff out his coat to use his natural insulation. I don't blanket if it is a dry, cold snow. My yak-like Belgian has no clothes big enough to fit!

I feed extra hay during very cold weather.

Here in Eastern Ontario I only blanket the pony...he is schooled indoors all winter and will get a trace clip, but he does live out 24/7.

The others, including two over the age of 20 and a 17 yr old, go naked.
    If it's really nasty---blizzard/freezing rain/rain with high winds--- I bring them into their stalls.
    They do have a large shelter, but not all of them can fit into it.
    Well...actually they can all fit, but the two bullies won't let them. And of course the bullies are the the most yak-like of the bunch.

Toronto is only 2 hours from here and I can't imagine that it was cold enough to use blankets...even a sheet...last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallard View Post

Toronto is only 2 hours from here and I can't imagine that it was cold enough to use blankets...even a sheet...last weekend.

I agree. But some of these were $250,000+++++ show horses who cant possibly spend a night without a blanket on. What would happen to their hunter scores if they had a puffed up coat?!

Haha, seriously....I also found it a little silly, but yes....the majority of the 200 horses there had bakers or winter blankts on at night.

One hour West of TO.
    Horses are still out at night and none is blanketed now.
    I do not blanket my mare, but she comes in at night and/or stays in when the weather is too wet/cold/windy. She grows a very very thick coat. When she was ridden on a regular basis, she was boarded outside, no clip, but blanketed.
    The gelding we look after did not grow much of a coat last winter and we bought him a blanket. We'll wait to see if he grows a coat this winter before using it. He also comes in at night and in bad weather.
    Many outdoor boarders do not get blanketed all winter. They have shelter and they use it.