The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I contact this lady out of the blue?! UPDATE

I am considering breeding my mare next year and have a couple stallions on my list that I really like and that I think will go well with my mare. It is really a big step for me since I lost two lifetime horses in March.

Fast forward to this weekend. I was at a reining show and was working the in-gate. One of the ladies in our club rides up on this absolutely gorgeous stalllion He looks alot like one of the geldings that I lost so I fell instantly in love with him. He is perfect in every way......he has the looks, the talent and the bloodlines. I am now thinking that I would like to breed my mare to him. I looked online and found a generic website for their ranch and they have a stallion at stud but it is not the same horse that she was riding. Would it be out of line to contact her to see if she is willing to breed him to my mare. I feel funny about it because he is not listed for stud on her website.
    Last edited by Diamondindykin; Sep. 22, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I don't think it's out of line at all! The worst that can happen is she says "no."

A simple, "Hi, I saw you riding *gorgeous stallion* at such-and-such horse show the other week, and although I see he isn't listed as 'at stud' on your website, I was wondering if it might be possible to breed him to my mare." will do the trick.

Good luck!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post
    I don't think it's out of line at all! The worst that can happen is she says "no."

A simple, "Hi, I saw you riding *gorgeous stallion* at such-and-such horse show the other week, and although I see he isn't listed as 'at stud' on your website, I was wondering if it might be possible to breed him to my mare." will do the trick.

Good luck!
    Agreed. Maybe the person hasn't gotten around to updating the website. I say go for it!
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

I always say... it doesn't hurt to ask. Worse she can say is "No".

Go for it.

Absolutely make an inquiry.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

And even if he's not a breeding stallion, who wouldn't be flattered at the thought that a stranger thinks her horse is stallion quality?

This seems like a win-win to me.

Yeah, you should definitely ask. Be polite, be willing to take "no" for an answer, and give lots of compliments and I'd bet money that even if she doesn't want to breed him, she'll be flattered.

Quote Originally Posted by LJStarkey View Post
    And even if he's not a breeding stallion, who wouldn't be flattered at the thought that a stranger thinks her horse is stallion quality?

This seems like a win-win to me.

That is what I am hoping for!! I am not the type to take a chance on a young stallion..............I like to see the stallions offspring but there is something about this guy and I am willing to take a chance on it.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

If she doesn't stand him, find who his sire is-maybe that could be Plan B.

Great to see you looking to future after the losses you had in March. I am sure your boys are looking out for you.
    I would agree with calling her. The worst she can say is no.
    Good luck and let us know what happens!

I sent an email through her website. My fingers are crossed............I will update if she responds!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

I agree. Worst that can happen is she says no. But you can then track down his bloodlines and do your research that way The sire, or a half brother might be an option to you if available.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I got a wonderful email back from the lady at the show with the stallion. As some mentioned she was very flattered that I contacted her about her stallion. They are planning on showing him more before breeding him. She said that she has another lovely stallion for stud though. She invited me to their farm to see the other stallions offspring.

I am going to take her up on it and see what the other stallion is like. I will keep hoping that by June when I am ready to breed my mare that they will have decided to breed the other stallion She also told me that her brother in law owns the sire of the stallion that I want to breed my mare too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

Quote Originally Posted by justdandy View Post
    Agreed. Maybe the person hasn't gotten around to updating the website. I say go for it!
    Yup, I just love it when you look at a website and it says "breeding fee for the 2007 season is...."
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Great news ~ so glad you contacted her ~ Enjoy your visit ~ how exciting ~ truly something for the future ~ something new to look forward to ~ you deserve this ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

If you really like the stallion you may want to consider breeding to his sire. After all, he is the one who produced what you like so much in his son.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    If you really like the stallion you may want to consider breeding to his sire. After all, he is the one who produced what you like so much in his son.
    Exactly!! She offered to give me her brother-in-laws phone number and I am going to do it. I am not sure if the stallion is local but if he is I will go and see him and his offspring too. He is an own son of Grays Starlight and he has a proven show record (in cutting) to back that up.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

Good luck! I was going suggest the same thing about that stallion's sire. See, never hurts to ask nicely for something.

If he's not local, maybe AI is a possibility, too?

This is great! See? Told you it wouldn't hurt. And now you've made another "horsey" connection.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    If he's not local, maybe AI is a possibility, too?

AI is definelty a possibility but I would love to see him and some more of his offspring in person if I can.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy