The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stink bugs! UGH!

We are being overrun with those horrid stink bugs!

Just this morning I was taking one of the winter blankets off its racks (my blanket racks are on the outside stall walls just at head level) to see if any needed repair...and an avalanche of stink bugs came tumbling down on my head! They were all clustered in the blanket under the fold to nest over the winter. There were almost a hundred of them!!!

UGH!!! UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH!!!!!! They fell in my hair, on my clothing, everywhere. Stinking up the place so bad as I brushed them off that I had to leave to get some fresh air. Blast those stupid gov't officials that introduced them in the first place to control the lady bug population. Ladybugs NEVER bothered me. They were cute and pretty. These other critters are butt ugly and reek to high heaven. I ##hate## them!

How to get rid of them in the barn?????

DS looked up on the internet and found that the yellow anti-bacterial Windex kills them within seconds of contact. DH bought some, we tried it...and it worked!! Kills those pests dead dead dead almost immediately. They die fastest when you spray on their underside. Apparently the spray clogs their breathing pores and they suffocate. We are using this method in the house, and have noticed that they don't come back and perch on the window or door screens that have been sprayed. As an added bonus, all the windows got a nice cleaning;

However, I can't go around spraying Windex all over my barn, or in the hay where they are also hiding. Anyone have any other suggestions?

one word. Chickens. Mine LOVE stink bugs. I sweep them up and put them in the chicken coop. Very happy chickens and no chemicals!

I HATE stinkbugs. With a passion. I am moving to Oregon just to be rid of them.

Well, not really, but it is a nice side benefit.
    Proud member of the EDRF

I take an empty plastic coffee can with a lid - put some ammonia in it and hold under the stink bugs. The fumes will knock them into the container, put the lid on and throw it away.

I.hate.stinkbugs!!!!

I've killed hundreds in my house. They cluster around the French door to the back porch and the back windows. I used Orange Blast at first. Worked well but pretty messy. I now pull out my trusty old fly swatter when I get home from work and kill, kill, kill, kill. I HATE them to pieces. I've heard that they winter over in the insulation in your house. My first encounter with them was this spring. They showed up slow and lazy. The new batch this late summer are extremely active. I want to kill them all before they get into the clothes and insulation when it gets cold. I just hate it when you go to put on a shirt and there's one inside, or in the sleeve. They're everywhere, they're everywhere.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Quote Originally Posted by 5chestnuts View Post
    Blast those stupid gov't officials that introduced them in the first place to control the lady bug population.
    Where did you get that info? Ladybugs are beneficial insects; they eat crop-damaging aphids. I seriously doubt that any government agency would try to REDUCE the ladybug population.

Ick. I'd have had a heart attack there and then if they fell on me. I hate bugs.

How about hanging sticky traps?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I heard these suckers came over from Asia with goods.

Anyway, they dont bother me. Seems that last fall (and winter and spring) was worse here then this fall, but I know a lot of people are just now being overwhelmed by them. I am a cleaning nut, and just vaccume them up everyday, and squash the ones I see through out the day. Spiders on the other hand...
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

What harm do they do?
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

The harm is just that they are in everything. My hair. Horses tails. Just pulled down a barn jacket I had left hanging on my porch and there were at least a dozen. It's oh so enjoyable to reach for an object and get a crunch beneath your finger tips of now dead bug. YUCK !!! And they are noisy little jets zooming all over my apartment. At the end of each day I get to sweep up a pile of their darling carcasses and toss. Though I especially enjoy catching them live and flushing them down the toilet .... they're like freaking flying cockroaches.

If you personally enjoy the feeling of bugs crawling all over you, I invite you to NJ. We've got plenty here.

Moving to Oregon won't help you. The first outbreak of Aisian stinkbugs was in Allentown, PA. Next one was in Oregon, they were going to do DNA testing to see if they came from Allentown or were stowaways from Asia.

Since I live near ground zero we get lots of information in the newspaper. It is recomended to seal all cracks around doors and windows or to get behind siding. We use regular ant and roach spray or a fly swatter on them, even though it is a neverending cycle. We've been dealing with them for about five years now.

My least favorite places for sting bugs to be:

#1 On me.
    #2 On my pillow/in my hair.
    #3 Curled up in my hair dryer.
    #4 Chilling in the vacuum
    #5 Hanging out on my clean clothes
    #6 The kitchen sink.
    #7 The shower
    #8 Huddled up in my valances
    #9 Buzzing around or into my monitor
    #10 Anywhere and unfortunately EVERYWHERE!

Here in NoVa, I think we are having an attack of the stink bugs. Seriously. Like Alfred Hitchcock "Birds" style.

They are EVERYWHERE. One flew IN MY MOUTH last night at the barn and after gagging for like 30 minutes, I was so paranoid I ended up putting on one of those face/mouth masks. Then three got stuck in my hair. They must have had it out for me or something..

They are in my house too. I had a few join me in the shower this morning while washing my hair..

Anyone know whats going on with these little buggars? Why are there so many this year compared to previous years? I never remember them being this bad.

they are absolutely swarming in VA right now...flying through the air, landing in my air, dive bombing me. Our house is not so bad yet, don't hardly see them inside right now, though usually we do. I hate them too!!

Quote Originally Posted by appdream View Post
    Moving to Oregon won't help you. The first outbreak of Aisian stinkbugs was in Allentown, PA. Next one was in Oregon, they were going to do DNA testing to see if they came from Allentown or were stowaways from Asia.

Since I live near ground zero we get lots of information in the newspaper. It is recomended to seal all cracks around doors and windows or to get behind siding. We use regular ant and roach spray or a fly swatter on them, even though it is a neverending cycle. We've been dealing with them for about five years now.
    Duct tape all cracks n crevices in your safe place, take your potible radio, water supply and K-rations tune to COTH Stink Bug Alert station and come out when you get the all clear

Quote Originally Posted by Creaghgal View Post
    What harm do they do?
    Agricultural pest with no natural predators and they are also resistant to pesticides. They damage row and fruit crops.

Plus, the reason they are called stink bugs is because, drum roll please, they emit a rather noxious odor when they spray. And they spray a lot!

A VA Tech researchers says we have a bumper crop of them this year. Oh joy, oh rapture. http://www.wdbj7.com/sns-ap-va--stin...,1021787.story

Quote Originally Posted by appdream View Post
    Damn. I've never seen the critters out in Oregon, so I thought I would be safe!

So far, my least favorite place to find a stink bug was on my toothbrush - but, dear God, if one flew into my mouth I don't think I'd ever recover from the trauma!
    Proud member of the EDRF

1 members found this post helpful.

ponytude Guest

Default awful!

We were first introduced to stink bugs five years ago when we moved into this house in southeast PA. They were awful and have been every year since. Now this year is a totally different story- they are EVERYWHERE like nothing I've ever seen before. Especially on our windows along the back of the house where the sun constantly hits. Divebombing and swarming in the hundreds- in the horses' blankets, in our clothes, just everywhere. Now with it staying warm and being in the high 80s/low 90s here they are just impossible.

I also heard that that awful smell they give off when you kill them is actually a pheramone that attracts more...

I had one buzz full force onto my eyelid last night while I was going to sleep.

*shudder*
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Another interesting tidbit about the stink bug: They can walk on fly tape without getting stuck to it.

Has anyone had success with a bug zapper? When and if they get cooked, do they emit their stink?