The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leasing out my "non-fancy" horse - good idea or bad?

Has anyone ever leased out their "non-fancy" not-a-schoomaster horse? I am trying to figure out if this might be an option for me. My horse could really use the extra exercise while I'm finishing up grad school, and I could really use a little bit of extra money toward my horse's care. I was thinking some kind of arrangement where someone could come and ride her 2-3 times a week on a month to month basis.

The thing is, while my horse is sane, willing and correctly broke, she is not a "show horse" nor is her training highly refined. She is not going to work for someone who wants to school 2nd level or jump a 3' course (though I'm sure she'd try her hardest for them She is very well-mannered under saddle and tries hard to understand and please her rider, but she does like to have direction and clear instructions. So, while she's perfectly safe for a beginner, a beginner might get frustrated with her/vice versa. She is great on trails and for pleasure riding, though.

Should I not even bother trying to lease her out? I don't want to ask some crazy amount of money - I just thought she might be a nice option for someone who really wants to ride and doesn't care that they won't be on a schoolmaster. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

It's worth a try. I would think there would be some adults interested in getting back into riding that want to take a few lessons and go out on some trails. Or what about your local pony club? There are often kids that are looking for mounts there. They don't need fancy - just willing and kind and she wouldn't need to jump a 3' course with the D level kids - or even a C1.

I would lease her if I could afford it, she sounds wonderful! Just because she is not a fancy show horse, doesn't mean that she can't be a good friend/confidence builder for someone getting into things.

Go For it!

I too say go for it! That actually may appeal to some people, because while packers and schoolmasters are wonderful, a greener horse, as long as it is safe) is more of a challenge and some people would get bored on a schoolmaster. Plus, it could equal more (ideally good) training and experiances for your horse. I have thought about doing the same thing, but I always worry someone will get on and undo her training, as she is a TB and fairly hot, you have to lnow how to finesse, not force. Good luck!

I have leased my horse out who sounds similar to yours. My girl doesn't have high level training, but we've won ribbons at local shows. She's good on the trails and can jump a course. She tries hard.

What I've done is made sure I had a very clear contract and a fee that was small enough to attract a pleasure rider but not too cheap to attract a nutter. I always watched them ride my mare after I gave them a demo ride. Started on the lead rope to make sure everything was kosher and then if they seemed competent let them go for more.

I have not had a bad experience leasing. I did not quite like the one time I let my horse be used in a lesson program. I felt she started going "angry" for lack of a better term. But leasing I always had nice women ride her.

I found my leasees through Craigslist and Dreamhorse.

Definitely - that'd be just the sort of horse I'd be looking for if I could afford to lease.

Before I bought my first horse, I half-leased a great horse. She wasn't a show horse, but could jump around a course and I could lesson on her. She I paid half of all her expenses, including shoes and routine vet. The owner had lower costs and knew her horse was getting exercised. I had a great horse to ride. We were both happy with the arrangement.

I am going to lease out my non-fancy gelding in December for 6 months while on "new mommy's leave." He cannot jump since he underwent tendon surgeries and currently working on 1st level dressage, nothing fancy.
    He is 11 yo, sane, tries hard and fun to ride. I actually had several interested girls our of riding school who would like to try "owning a horse" experience before actually commiting to owning one and I think he is a great candidate for that. I am not going to charge lease fee, as they will be covering boarding/training and farrier and where I am, its an arm and a leg.

So, I think it is a good idea for you to lease your horse out. Not everyone needs or could afford fancy jumper, or even wants one, but there are plenty of people out there who just want to get on and have a fun and safe ride!

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm glad to hear other people think this would be a viable idea - I was kind of thinking my horse might not be a good candidate just because she doesn't really have anything to teach. Though now that I think about it, she would probably be very good at teaching basic things like leading and foot handling and things like that. She has very good manners and doesn't try to or seem to want to misbehave on the ground or under saddle. She is young but she could be a great confidence builder - which is the main reason I bought her.

Those of you who have leased your horses out before: how did you work the liability/insurance end of it? Did you make a up a release, or a contract, or both, or what?

Definitly!

A few years ago I leased a mare quite like the one you are describing. She was in her early 20's, lots of go, but great for a beginner or someone getting back into riding. I was paying the equivelant to half her board for the lease. I got to ride her whenever I wanted (her owner had another horse in training at the time), though usually 2 or 3 times a week, and all was well in the world.

There are people out there who want to ride but don't have the funds to afford a horse of their own. Nothing wrong with that.

For insurance, I'm covered under a policy from Ontario Equestrian Federation, and I had to sign a waiver, allowing that *if* something were to happen that I would not get all crazy and legal like. I don't have a copy of it anymore, but it was well worded.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapples7 View Post
    Those of you who have leased your horses out before: how did you work the liability/insurance end of it? Did you make a up a release, or a contract, or both, or what?
    You can google a generic horse lease document and make appropriate changes. That's what I did. I didn't worry about insurance because in the state of Florida horse back riding is a "you know the risk when you're doing it" kind of thing. Plus the contract I used covered liability to some extent. The boarding barn I keep my horse has insurance. Plus I have no assets, so good luck to someone suing me.

Exactly what lcw579 says.

I'm currently 1/2 leasing a horse much like yours...not fancy, knows his stuff but not really a beginner horse and he has his foibles. His owner is too busy with grad school and work to ride every day.

I'm just starting to ride again after 30 years off! I was fairly accomplished as a junior rider, but had ridden only on occasion since then. He's just right! I don't need anything fancy, but don't need a total school master either. The prior problem solving abilities and muscle memory are there, but the muscles are weak...getting much better though!

I'm not sure how you'd find a "rerider" like this...a middle aged lady who knows how to ride and knows how to take care of your horse properly, but is out of shape and in no way ready for a fancy horse. I found this horse when I was calling around to local barns looking for riding lessons for both my son and I. I wanted a small hunter/jumper barn, not too long a commute, with a pony for the little guy to take lessons on and a horse appropriate for me. I have a lesson once a week on this horse, ride him regularly two other times and week and cover for the owner when she has to travel for work. I pay 1/2 his board and 1/2 his shoes.

If there is a trainer at your barn, let them know what you are looking for...the trainer at this barn knew the owner was looking for a part time lessee, so when I called she could tell me what the story was.

Your post got me thinking about leasing my girl out again, so I went ahead and put up a post on my local craigslist this afternoon in both the pet and farm and garden section. (As long as you word the posts differently you can post to both sections.)

I already have one email from a potential rider who sounds extremely appropriate.